Breaking news - liverpool squad for tonite

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby skipper » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:06 pm

I read the match report on Sky and our defense did play poor because we allowed them many chances to come back.

But 3 away goals will do fine.  :)
You'll Never Walk Alone

RIP Phil
skipper
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:10 pm

I read the match report on Sky and our defense did play poor because we allowed them many chances to come back.

Finnan and Carra = solid

Hyypia and Warnock= meh

Looking forward to the new CB
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:17 pm

The goal we conceded was the fault of Finnan and Gerrard. Finnan gave him to much space to send in the cross and had more than one chance to get closer to him. Gerrard let the runner go and failed to communicate this to the defenders.

I don't think that Warnock was to blame at all for the goal, he actually had quiet a good game. And Hyypia was quiet good as well.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gracias King Rafa » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:29 pm

Not a bad result at all,should be a formality at Anfield.
I'm glad 'Nando got on the scoresheet,let's hope there's more goals to come.:)
Just saw the interview on Sky Sports news with Cisse,crikey he looked all over the place!! :D
What was in that chewing gum I wonder? :laugh:
Gracias King Rafa

Postby DrTNT » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:36 pm

Thought Reina played well and don't think he could of done much with the goal. Then he pulled out a world class save when he was called upon at the end that was very important beacause a second CSKA goal would have put a different complexion on the second leg at Anfield.
REST IN PEACE PHIL!
DrTNT

Postby Luis Garcia » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:00 am

I tell you what, we should buy CSKA's left winger , that black guy, cause he was very F*cking quick, and drifted past LFc's players a few times.

a very good player indeed.
Luis Garcia

Postby RedRoots » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:15 am

We don't need a left winger, we need a right winger.
RedRoots

Postby laza » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:31 am

Great result and good to see Nando bag a couple
Let hope it carries on for this saturday and there isnt any hangovers
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:09 am

I would say "better than average" performance. We should win more away games on the evidence of this game. Should deffo get at least 4th this season.

If only we can get a top-class centreback, my prediction of us winning the league looks much stronger.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:37 am

Last year we didn't sign Alonso and Garcia until after the 3rd qualifying rounds. With todays victory that surely guarantees us to go to the group stages, we could be signing the players we need soon.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby MilitiaRusher » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:17 am

Just for the record, it was probably their goalie that led to our 3 away goals. Their goalie was abysmal throughout and 2 of our goals actually went pass through his legs. This shows Cisse and Morientes still need to work on their finishing. Think about it, had it not been their goalie, we would not have scored 3 goals. Overall, it was probably an above average performance lacking bit of guile in both attack and defense.

By the way, what's with the 'Support Michael Shields' advertisement board being taken off at half time?

Player ratings (out of 10):
Reina - 6 Was flapping at crosses and coming out late on a couple of occasions.
Finnan - 7 Solid as usual but might be at fault for Sofia's solitary goal.
Carragher - 8 Gave 110% throughout but had not much to do really.
Hyypia - 7 Lost quite a bit of pace, not looking like his old self but still relatively solid.
Warnock - 7 Dealt decently with Sofia's wingers but could have done better in a couple of occasion.
Garcia - 6 Still losing too much possession and doing too many useless flicks and tricks. When will he learn?
Gerrard - 9 Leading by example, assisted 2 of the goals, could be even better though.
Alonso - 8 Faultless passes and good set up play. Need to work a bit on his defense.
Riise - 7 Did okay on the wings and had a hand in containing Sofia's pacey wingers.
Cisse - 8 Making great runs throughout the game but finishing was average (including his goal) to say the least.
Morientes - 7 Did better in holding the ball up front but like Cisse, he has to improve on his finishing and overall sharpness.
Hamann - N/A Did not have much on the ball but have been solid as usual.
Sissoko - N/A Did not have much playing time but generally impressive at his tackling most of the time.
Barragan - N/A Not enough playing time but looked decent, apart from some of the poor passes he made.
Last edited by MilitiaRusher on Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ian Rush's Right foot » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:45 am

A surprisingly comfortable win in the end and it's great to see Nando bag a couple of goals. He did appear to have been written off far too quickly in some quarters but (cliché alert) form is temporary, class is permanent.

Although Stephen Warnock could have done better for the goal, he had a decent enough game and with Traore sidelined, he now has a great chance of cementing himself in the left-back role. Great save from Pepe at the end, too - was that his first of note for the club?

All in all, things are looking very promising. Bring on Boro!

....I'm the bee's knee, his legs and his arms.....
Ian Rush's Right foot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby destro » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:56 pm

good enough result. reina did ok , the first chance they had, dudek would of brought the player down reina stayed big and on his feet to force him wide. didnt have much else to do throughout. fine save at the end think thats the first one ive seen him make ? warnock wasnt as bad as ppl say nice couple of bone crunching tackles a bit of steel never hurt anyone. cisse shoots from any angle nice to see although any decent keeper would of saved it. nando still not sure , yeah took his goals well but doesnt look to good on a one on one situation.stevie g quality again but looked like he lost the run from the edge of the box for their goal set all 3 of ours up so cant complain especially as alonso seemed a bit quiet. impressed with momo. should be able to let stevie have a few games off without worrying about who will step in
destro

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion