Boss rejects real madrid - From the horses mouth !

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby zarababe » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:20 pm

From the BBC:

Benitez rejected new Real offer 

Benitez led Liverpool to Champions League glory in 2005
Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has said he recently rejected a fresh approach from Real Madrid in a contract more lucrative than his current Reds deal.
The Spaniard's camp has also suggested Benitez was ahead of Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho on Real's managerial targets.

"I said no to Real when they offered me more money than I get here, even though there maybe were greater expectations," said Benitez.

"Madrid may be my town but I am happy here and pleased with everything."

Benitez turned down an offer from the Bernabeu club last summer and the Spaniard has consistently been linked to the club where he has played and coached.

But Benitez is keen to stay at Anfield to help the club prosper under new American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

This is a project, it is my club, my team, my players and the fans are always behind us

Rafael Benitez

"We want to stay because of the new ideas and the new owners are very exciting," added Benitez.

"It was not a difficult decision. I have an objective here, I explained that when I spoke to the new owners and they told me they would be supportive.

"I do not like to talk about my family but they are really happy here at Liverpool and I am prepared to have my daughter with a Scouse accent, even though it is sometimes a problem for me!

"I want to make it clear that I said no to a good offer. That is because we are happy, it is not a question of money.

"This is a project, it is my club, my team, my players and the fans are always behind us. I am really happy here for all these things together."

Liverpool opened talks over new deals for Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher, Xabi Alonso, Jose Reina and Luis Garcia a couple of weeks ago.

Gerrard is one of the players discussing new deals at Anfield

Discussions are ongoing but Benitez insists he wants speculation about any deals to stop so Liverpool can focus on their Champions League campaign.

Liverpool play Chelsea in the first leg of their semi-final in Europe's elite competition at Stamford Bridge on 25 April.

"I do not want to talk anymore about the players' contract discussions," stated Benitez.

"I wanted us to show them I had confidence in them and I would like to see all of them here in the future - the people in charge of the club agree.

"But we are trying to progress, I tried to be positive with them and show the players we want to progress. But if we cannot do it quickly, we will wait and talk after the Champions League.

"It is clear we want to keep these players and to keep them happy here. I have confidence because the conversations were good but maybe now for this next few weeks it is time to finish talking.

"If we have an agreement okay, if we do not have an agreement we have shown them that we are interested in their futures.

"But now I want to focus on football and the Champions League."

--------------------

Fantastic news and shows the new era with the new owners has secured his services and hopefully of some key players !
Last edited by zarababe on Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:27 pm

Just heard about this and also what Hicks said :D

"Rafa is not going anywhere. He's under contract and he told me that his wife has said that if he ever did go, he'd have to go without her because she's staying in Liverpool," said Hicks.

Well in Montse luv  :cool:
Last edited by Ciggy on Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:39 pm

Boss Rafa.  :buttrock
jonnymac1979

Postby zarababe » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:43 pm

:D what about rafa:

"I do not like to talk about my family but they are really happy here at Liverpool and I am prepared to have my daughter with a Scouse accent, even though it is sometimes a problem for me!   :D
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jaytoothetee » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:04 pm

zarababe wrote: :D what about rafa:

"I do not like to talk about my family but they are really happy here at Liverpool and I am prepared to have my daughter with a Scouse accent, even though it is sometimes a problem for me!   :D

:p , added rafa

One time, I saw a man looking at me, yes, with his eyes. And then, he, he picked up a tube. And he looked, in the tube, and he made the moon big, inside the tube. The moon big inside a tube! Waahaha... Aaah. Telescope.
jaytoothetee

Postby Dundalk » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:09 pm

zarababe wrote:This is a project, it is my club, my team, my players and the fans are always behind us

:buttrock
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby matrix » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:23 pm

great news on rafa...   

did we ever think he was going anwhere...  :cool:   

rafa higher up madrid's  list than maureen...    :buttrock

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:34 pm

zarababe wrote: :D what about rafa:

You've just gotta luv the guy!

But not in a gay way! :p :D

This is great news though and means that the summer can be solely about strengthening the squad.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Tobin*LFC* » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:36 pm

great news :D  so glad rafa is staying and wouldnt go for any money that is thrown at him, he must love it at meseyside!! :)
You'll Never Walk Alone..
Tobin*LFC*

Postby jaytoothetee » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:36 pm

RUSHIE#9 wrote:
zarababe wrote::D what about rafa:

You've just gotta luv the guy!

But not in a gay way! :p :D

This is great news though and means that the summer can be solely about strengthening the squad.

why not :wwww

One time, I saw a man looking at me, yes, with his eyes. And then, he, he picked up a tube. And he looked, in the tube, and he made the moon big, inside the tube. The moon big inside a tube! Waahaha... Aaah. Telescope.
jaytoothetee

Postby Sabre » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:37 pm

No surprises, it was obvious he was comfortable working here. And the bit that he rejected more money showed it.

Hilarious to see the reaction in Madrid, Marca is bitter about this refusal, "It's the second time he dismisses Madrid" they moan, as if that was unacceptable :D . Some home truths will be handy in order they realise money is not all, and that serious work and decent management also counts.

Within the diplomatic words of Rafa concerning the player contract talks, I read between lines that there's a case or two in which the talks are being more difficult than expected... it's not a fact of course, I'm speculating, but I'm a bit familiar with this kind of talk and in many cases it means that. At least by " if we do not have an agreement we have shown them that we are interested in their futures " I understand "we have offered them a more than decent offer so they can't blame the money nor the confidence for not staying".
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jaytoothetee » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:57 pm

Sabre wrote:No surprises, it was obvious he was comfortable working here. And the bit that he rejected more money showed it.

Hilarious to see the reaction in Madrid, Marca is bitter about this refusal, "It's the second time he dismisses Madrid" they moan, as if that was unacceptable :D . Some home truths will be handy in order they realise money is not all, and that serious work and decent management also counts.

Within the diplomatic words of Rafa concerning the player contract talks, I read between lines that there's a case or two in which the talks are being more difficult than expected... it's not a fact of course, I'm speculating, but I'm a bit familiar with this kind of talk and in many cases it means that. At least by " if we do not have an agreement we have shown them that we are interested in their futures " I understand "we have offered them a more than decent offer so they can't blame the money nor the confidence for not staying".

i thought he was trying to make it clear that the team is more than their own contract to be honest, when he said about discussions ending for a few weeks, although i do agree with your point. this would most likely involve xabi, if we can get him to sign a new contract now then he'll defo not be going to barca in the summer. but rafa did also imply that talks may not be going that well with some players when he said "if we cannot do it quickly, we will have to wait..." he sounds a bit frustrated that the players haven't got this out of the way quickly. just my view anyway, and at the end of the day does anyone really understand rafa?  :D

jaytoothetee

Postby Gracias King Rafa » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:21 pm

Good on ya Montse! :D

Does she wear the trousers in the Benitez household? :laugh:
Gracias King Rafa

Postby CarlosRocks » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:25 pm

thats great news, im glad he's gonna be staying with us a while longer...
CarlosRocks

Postby lakes10 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:06 pm

thats great news, just hope he can sort this thing out about us slipping up when we play lower teams lol.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion