BORDEAUX VS LIVERPOOL - build up. gerrard ruled out

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby dilbertsbanana » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:07 pm

What the other people dont realise is that the team is not about single players, its how they work together...

this isnt championship manager. The best individual wont always be a guarunteeed star. Look at everyone from Veron to possible Shevchenko (well so far he hasnt done it)
meep meep
dilbertsbanana

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:20 pm

Shevchenko has so far mirrored Morientes, and I for one would love to see him sold in January/the Summer as a flop.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:25 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:Shevchenko has so far mirrored Morientes, and I for one would love to see him sold in January/the Summer as a flop.

Shev possible January swop for Diao?  :D
account deleted by request

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:27 pm

s@int wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:Shevchenko has so far mirrored Morientes, and I for one would love to see him sold in January/the Summer as a flop.

Shev possible January swop for Diao?  :D

No mate - Diao has outscored Sheva in England! :D

Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:07 pm

there may well be 'some' credence to your evaluation above kalos, on more than a couple of those brief assessments...but when you look at it from that kind of perspective, the arguement that Rafa signed players based on financial (still?)and viable (contractual) restraints at the time stands up sadly all too well against the scrutiny otherwise offered by suggesting they were his actual primary targets...in that respect we know that at least Crouch, Kuyt, Agger and Gonzalez infact were. but in an ideal world his true 'hit-list' probably remained out of the reach if not over and above the ambition of the board upstairs. investment is vital for that state of affairs to change im afraid. and what we cant dismiss is the fact that clearly (the above excluded) the club had to make the best of what became available during the last transfer window in order to find 'any' advantage within the so-called 'Big-Four'. critics were saying Liverpool had done just that, with 3 or 4 key areas now strengthened.

as a result of that, the potential for the odd 'bargain' became a secondary quest. most of those whom you highlight in your own post above.... though like it or lump it they are the latest components of our squad that make up the greater majority of any optimism we are left clinging to, in terms of them having a dynamic input to this seasons title. and for me half of that list have infact failed to deliver, as of yet. but that is the key to that.....time and learning. the curvature and gradient of which this club seems to have found itself stuck on for successive seasons all too often...

but on paper the vast majority looked to be astute additions, if not world-class ones. some may well develop as key figures for the club on that score...possibly.  but so far, on the pitch, a different story is yet to unfold.

there remain though equal grounds upon which to question the other 3 clubs that you mention. (many others too) where it comes to a calculated transfer policy and the gains made or lost thereof. dont forget that.  though in real terms, those who succeed at clubs the length and breadth of the Premiership are not necessarily those with the biggest 'name' or 'pricetag' (btw, does that make them more or less able than a 'lesser' player when it comes down to his correct management?) many a diamond is hewn from bare rock..with the right tools.

the whole point being relatively 'unfancied' ones and even Reserves are on an equal footing at a club with the current spending power of our own alongside the Gerrards and the Hyypia's et al when it comes down to plying their trade here - should they be up to scratch in the end of course.   and i suspect that'll never change. (for instance, you'd never see LFC advertising a place in its acadamy on SKY ONE...) weve never gone with the flow like sheep where it boils down to signing superstars (largely).... preferring instead to forge them from within. even if they have to start their lessons from page one...and they could have no better tutor. or opportunity either. love it or loathe it 'Rotation' is vital to any demanding campaign, requiring the whole squads involvement.

forget any lasting vestiges of hope for this season - its simply too early for all these to gel into a championship winning outfit for now. but whether these are indeed the individuals who can bridge the gap, ultimately will only be determined by both our patience and our support over many, many more disappointments along the way. of that im certain.

in other words - you have some point  :D  but dont lose faith entirely eh...stranger things do happen.

fwiw lando also has a fair point. with Terry, Rooney and Henry the possible exceptions.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby darcheville » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:32 am

I am a French programme collector from Bordeaux.
First, I want to thank all the Liverpool fans for the permanent show in the streets of Bordeaux wednesday. I hope eveybody will keep a good souvenir from the town.
Then, thank you for the football lesson. Now, We know the work we got to do so as to be more competitive in the Champions'League in the following years...
I am looking for everything about the next match Liverpool vs Bordeaux : programme, used ticket, scarf, pennant...
I got official programmes, pirate programmes (12 pages from France), scarf and pennant to exchange.
I am not interested in selling these programmes. What I just want to do is make a good exchange with other football fans.
Yours friendly,
Sebastien
darcheville

Postby 67-1161385641 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:01 am

The match wasn't the best match and we didn't play as well as we could of done, but we got the three points and that's the most important thing. If we could do that in most matches, I'm pretty sure no one would batter an eye lid.

I read someone above saying that we lack quality in our team, which simply isn't true. We lack consistency and we have not found the right balance yet, but that's because we've introduced wingers and more attacking players to the team, which we didn't have in the past two seasons, therefore our mentality has changed from defensive to attacking, this takes time to adjust.

At the moment we cannot use the wings effectively, because we haven't had wingers for quite a while.

However to say that Arsenal, United and Chelsea are jammed packed with 'quality' is hard to believe. They all have some great players in Arsenal's case Toure, Henry, Fabregas and Van Persie. Man Utd have Rooney (when he shows up) Ronaldo and Van Der Sar. Chelsea have Makelele, Essien (who is a good player, but his quality has been sacrificed so Fat Frank can still be in the team), Terry and Cech.

These teams have certain individuals who have great ability, but the reason why these teams do so well is because they have the balance. Another point is that Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd haven't really spent money in the transfer market this season, there aren't many new faces in the three teams where as you have a good five or six at least and about five of them are in the first squad/team.

All we need to do is be patient and things should click nicely, they did last season, so I'm sure they will this season.

There is very little to worry about, now let’s focus on beating Manure.
67-1161385641

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:02 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:On the other hand, would the following players get in OUR starting team?:

Saha - no.
O'SHea - no.
GAry Big nose Neville - no.
Wes Brown - no.
Rio Ferdinand - no.
Silvestre - no.
Carrick - no.

Carvalho - no.
GEremi - no.
Fat Frank - no.
Boularouz (Or whatever his name is) - no.
Essien - no.
Kalou - no.
That other young signing - no.

It's easy to say "so and so wouldn't get in their team".

But I wouldn't think any of the abov-named players are better than our first choice players.

That means we're obviously better than them. ???

I'd take Saha for Bellamy . Neville may be a t'wat but he's a first class right back and I think Ferdinand would get a start before Sammi or Agger .

(Jeez I feel grubby now )

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:08 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:On the other hand, would the following players get in OUR starting team?:

Saha - no.
O'SHea - no.
GAry Big nose Neville - no.
Wes Brown - no.
Rio Ferdinand - no.
Silvestre - no.
Carrick - no.

Carvalho - no.
GEremi - no.
Fat Frank - no.
Boularouz (Or whatever his name is) - no.
Essien - no.
Kalou - no.
That other young signing - no.

It's easy to say "so and so wouldn't get in their team".

But I wouldn't think any of the abov-named players are better than our first choice players.

That means we're obviously better than them. ???

I'd take Saha for Bellamy . Neville may be a t'wat but he's a first class right back and I think Ferdinand would get a start before Sammi or Agger .

(Jeez I feel grubby now )

Wash your mouth out sir! :D

Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kalos » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:35 pm

Pass me the bar of soap while you're at it Lando ...I concur with wolf I'm afraid!

Perhaps I need to qualify my original thoughts.

I agree that it is the sum opf the parts rather than the individuals that matter in the final analysis. (LFC in the 70's hardly had a European superstar did they?

I guess I was thinking on current form and the POTENTIAL for improvement.

I must admit I remain far from convinced about the possibility that Gonzalez, Aurelio and Pennant are going to make the step up to the Liverpool grade (being the grade required to win the premiership). I have high hopes for Kuyt and Agger and am undecided about Bellamy.

Of course money is always going to be a factor (see red37 comments above) and that is accepted.

Rafa has the unenviable task of spotting the "real deals" before they get snapped up by others. I am still hopeful of at least a top four finish and an outside bet on maybe the Title if the slip ups by our main rivals continue and we consolidate and do what we did last year with a great run.
kalos

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion