Bolton, benitez and silly fans - I agree with stu!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JBG » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:58 pm

Wierd how the season turned out, looking back on this thread.

I was right in saying that we'd lose again a few times before Christmas, but I didn't think our inconsistent and mixed domestic form would continue right until the very end.

Not in my wildest dreams did I think back then that we could win in Europe!

I have to admit that whilst I didn't really criticise Benitez this season (in the sense that I never called for his head like countless others did) there were two games where I got extremely angry: Middlesboro and Southampton away.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:00 pm

JBG wrote:Wierd how the season turned out, looking back on this thread.

I was right in saying that we'd lose again a few times before Christmas, but I didn't think our inconsistent and mixed domestic form would continue right until the very end.

Not in my wildest dreams did I think back then that we could win in Europe!

I have to admit that whilst I didn't really criticise Benitez this season (in the sense that I never called for his head like countless others did) there were two games where I got extremely angry: Middlesboro and Southampton away.

i think everyone was angry after those two performances! i agree with you on how the season turned out in the end, personally i always thought we'd get some consistency in the league after christmas but that never realyy happened, in fact i dont really remember us having one really great spell in the league all season! but the champions league proved to be our saviour and those tuesday and wednesday nights will never be forgotten, a strange season really but it ended on the highest note possible.
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:07 pm

Bentez's strength is that while having the pride and ability he does not have the dogmatic arrogance of some managers in believing he is always right.
We put in some terrible performances last season but he is a man learning a new game in the premiership and he is learning quicker than we could have hoped for. He was left with a mismatched bag of tools which was going nowhere and has formed a team.
I am not as critical of his signings as some of the idiots posting elsewhere and given the unbelievable injury list, the unfortunate loss of Owen,which was not his fault, the cowardice of certain big money buys and the emergence of the megabucks lot I think that Benitez has done better than expected. He will turn out to be the best manager since Paisley.
At last players want to come here to play football not just for the big paycheck.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:13 am

Dalglish wrote:A decent and well thought out post JBG.

The essential difference between those who post what I would call "Blame someone" posts and yours is that you have managed to speak the truth about the game and the ineptitude of the performance without judgement or a demand for punishment.

I was at the game , probably one of very few in the forum who actually attend games and my feelings were echoed in your post. I found myself observing the amount of litter strewn on the pitch cos the quality of entertainment on offer (for £38 a ticket as well) was desperate.

Bolton are a well organised outfit and I actually agreed with big Sam, they did deserve to win.

Liverpool were truly awful JBG. We couldn't pass the ball, we didn;'t seem to have a plan, Baros was annoymous in the first half and Gerard lookked well cheesed off to be stuck at right midfield second half to accommadate essentially 2 very similar players in Alonso and Hamann.

On a positive front , Garcia and Alonso had decent debuts and both looked comfortatble on the ball, particularly Alonso, Carragher was IMO our best player and Josemi impressed again.

Like the previouis Tuesday too many players failed to show. Rise ,Hamann,  Baros and Cisse all had poor games.

Finally a funny moment from the game ......"Some 75 mins into the game , Cisse attempts a 1-2 with Baros but didn't receive the ball back, to which he jumped up and down like a schoolkid angry and frustrated............ To which a Liverpool Fan shouts "What you getting frustrated about ? You have only been here 4 games , we've been here all our lives !!! :D

Its kind or weird looking back at stuff you have said on here months ago.

Bolton was my first Away game of last season and I was to travel a further 10 times watching LFC last season but didn't see us win once !!!!!   :D

There were audible sighs of relief on the forum when I announced I WASN'T travelling to Istanbul for the European Cup final so bad was my away form last season.  :D

Lets hope both liverpool's and therefore my Away trips next season are significantly better !!!!! :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:54 am

I was always expecting alot of pain before gain this season even before Owen transfer and the injury list which looked liked it came off the somme so my expectations were never going to be high though i was wrapped at Rafa appointment as i feel in long term he has what it takes to get us back to where we truly belong top of the league.
Though the fact that we didnt get fourth was a disappointment which came at my first big surprise that Everton didnt falter post christmas. Naturally the second even bigger surprise for me (who was happy  enough just to get thru the CL group stage ) was how we achieved our qualification for this seasons CL
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion