Bluenose prentice - Picks his everpool team.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:38 pm

Dec 28 2007 David Prentice Liverpool Echo

EXACTLY 12 months ago this column’s postbag bulged.

Nothing to do with belated Christmas cards or even early birthday wishes (Sunday, in case you’re interested, and Lagavulin is fine, thank you). No, it was the unveiling of the Everpool team for 2006 which caused the traditionally lively response.

Those that disagree usually provide a humorous response, some point out what I can do with my selections and some of those suggestions are medically possible.

But only one player took me to task over his omission, and he’s back in this year – in a period when selection has been harder than ever.

The squads on both sides of Stanley Park are as strong as they have been for years – and only four players from last December’s team keep their places.

So, donning the hard hat – and based on performances in 2007, remember – my combined Everton and Liverpool team was:

GOALKEEPER

ALL too often the most difficult position to choose. This year it’s almost impossible.

You can slide a razor blade between the performances of Pepe Reina and Tim Howard throughout 2007. Both are outstanding shot-stoppers, both command their penalty area and both take crosses confidently (a quality Reina has added to his game). Heck, they even distribute the ball equally well. But Howard endured one dodgy afternoon in 2007 – the FA Cup defeat by Blackburn – while REINA was almost faultless. And his penalty saving record is also better, which just gives him the edge.

RIGHT BACK

IT’S been a shoo-in for years for Steve Finnan, but not this year.

Missing for much of the autumn through injury, and also large chunks of April, he has been replaced at club level, and in the Everpool team by an eternally under-rated Spaniard. ALVARO ARBELOA is quick, snappy in the tackle, quick to support attacks and precise in his distribution. This latter quality pushes him ahead of the inspirational Phil Neville and the terrier-like Tony Hibbert.

CENTRE BACKS

Daniel Agger and Joleon Lescott are two of the best centre-backs in the country, but neither makes it in . . . at least not in their preferred position.

Agger’s injury problems (no appearance since September 15), and Lescott’s versatility, coupled with a lack of available left-backs, creates a couple of vacancies. JAMIE CARRAGHER has been consistency personified throughout 2007, while JOSEPH YOBO missed just five matches throughout the year. As a pair they offer pace, reading of the game, power, a guarantee of clean sheets . . . and the chance to use Lescott elsewhere.

LEFT BACK

LEIGHTON Baines and Fabio Aurelio have offered us tantalising glimpses of what might be, but injuries have prevented them appearing often enough to claim a place in the Everpool XI.

LESCOTT is not just consistent, he’s versatile enough to claim a place in his second best position. John Arne Riise? A previous Everpool player, he has endured a year to forget – one glorious Catalan moment apart, while Nuno Valente and Gary Naysmith were also absent more often than they were available. Lescott, on the other hand, oozes consistent class.

RIGHT MIDFIELD

CONTROVERSY time. Leon Osman has been a shining light of consistency at Goodison, while across the park Yossi Benayoun has been one of Rafa Benitez’s most admired acquisitions.

But throughout 2006 JERMAINE PENNANT finally started to show the quality his game had always lacked throughout his Anfield tenure . . . consistency. Still the best crosser of a ball on Merseyside (he matched Steven Gerrard for goal assists in 2006/07), he was excellent in Athens the night the Champions League was lost. He might still think ‘zoo’ is a high scoring word in Scrabble, but one reckless evening in Porto apart, his performances usually added up and he gets my vote.

CENTRE MIDFIELD

ONE place is nailed on, and STEVEN GERRARD would be my captain, too.

But who would provide the anchor to let Gerrard do what he does best and maraud around the periphery of opposition penalty boxes? Javier Mascherano would probably get the Anfield vote, with support for Xabi Alonso, while across the park some might champion Manu Fernandes for his brief but exciting cameo. But a man who is almost always under-rated, except by his team-mates, is LEE CARSLEY. A pro’s pro, he showed against Birmingham he can provide stunning finishes, too. He also played more minutes in 2007 than any other player in my Everpool side and is my choice.

LEFT MIDFIELD

HE’S the best little Spaniard they know . . . and MIKEL ARTETA certainly put rivals like James McFadden, and the promising Ryan Babel in the shade.

A sumptuous footballer in the School of Science mould, he can also play right across the midfield line if necessary. He’d also be my penalty taker.

ATTACK

PETER CROUCH was the most prolific Mersey marksman in 2006. But in 2007 he wasn’t allowed to be.

Andrew Johnson was held back by injuries, while Dirk Kuyt and Andriy Voronin aren’t ruthless enough in front of goal. You can’t say that about the two men who get in. TIM CAHILL is not, strictly speaking, a striker, but you wouldn’t guess from his incredible goals return. He would provide the work-rate and the attitude which would let FERNANDO TORRES loiter with deadly intent. The Spanish conquistador is the most gifted striker I’ve seen on Merseyside since Dalglish hung his boots up and would probably get in a World XI right now, let alone a Merseyside select.

Subs? How about Howard, Yakubu, Agger, Mascherano and Alonso.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-f...00252-20292746/

How can Tim Cahill be even mentioned in the same breath as Torres? Cahill's a midfielder  :Oo:

Ryan Babel is nothing like Mikel Arteta.

And Lee Carsley should not even be mentioned in the same breath as Gerrard, Mascherano, Alonso or even Sissoko. How is he first choice in Prentices Everpool side :laugh:

There havin a good season so far but Delusions of Grandeur setting in again.

They always have to compare themselves with us dont they?
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:53 pm

How can Tim Cahill be even mentioned in the same breath as Torres? Cahill's a midfielder  :Oo:

And Lee Carsley should not even be mentioned in the same breath as Gerrard, Mascherano, Alonso or even Sissoko. How is he first choice in Prentices Everpool side :laugh:

:D  You have to laugh, Lee carsley ahead of Alonso, them bitters, always game for a laugh !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:57 pm

cant really argue with it other than mascharano and torres . . . . .
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:01 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:cant really argue with it other than mascharano and torres . . . . .

Leon is a bitter.
66-1112520797

Postby Ciggy » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:02 am

Kharhaz wrote: :D  You have to laugh, Lee carsley ahead of Alonso, them bitters, always game for a laugh !

Not only above Alonso but ahead of Masch aswell, FFS even Lucas is better than him.

Uurghhh I cringe when I see that Johnson, Gravessen, and Carsley all together on the pitch like 3 fuckin meathead drugdealers feel ashamed for them.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:03 am

Kharhaz wrote:

:D  You have to laugh, Lee carsley ahead of Alonso, them bitters, always game for a laugh !

It's funny indeed. Here I am discussing passionately with other members about who's better Alonso or Mascherano, and here he goes this journo, sitting both of them in the bench, and playing a Lee Carlsey, or something, who is only known by his mother.

:D
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:09 am

Ciggy wrote:[
Uurghhh I cringe when I see that Johnson, Gravessen, and Carsley all together on the pitch like 3 fuckin meathead drugdealers feel ashamed for them.

Best laugh of the day for me that cigg
:D  :D particular the feel ashamed for them quality
Cant wait for my lad to come round tomorrow and show him that he thinks im the only one who says it.
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:11 am

NANNY RED wrote:
Ciggy wrote:[

Best laugh of the day for me that cigg
Cant wait for my lad to come round tomorrow and show him that he thinks im the only one who says it.

If you watch them from above you could be mistaken for thinking it as a billiard game with the football as a cueball rather than a footy match !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:12 am

NANNY RED wrote:Best laugh of the day for me that cigg

Last week when they where playing AZ the dutch commentator said oh look them 3 have the same haidressers what ugly people  :laugh:  :laugh: PMSL

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:20 am

Reasonably fair assessment, but would have Mascherano ahead of Carsley.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:20 am

lee carsley ha ha ha ha ha ha he he he he he he he he:D
roberto green

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:24 am

Ciggy wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:Best laugh of the day for me that cigg

Last week when they where playing AZ the dutch commentator said oh look them 3 have the same haidressers what ugly people  :laugh:  :laugh: PMSL

Mind you i had to laugh its not only Prentis who thinks Arteta is the dogs my lad was tryin to convince me last night  that he would walk into our midfield he really believes it .G.obs.*i*e
I asked him how many spliffs hed had
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:30 am

NANNY RED wrote:my lad was tryin to convince me last night  that he would walk into our midfield he really believes it .G.obs.*i*e
I asked him how many spliffs hed had

:laugh: they all think that girl  :D

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:45 am

To be honest i would take 4 of thier players in Lescott,Arteta,Cahill and one of thier stikers to partner Torres because all of them are better than our other 3.

Not that they would be given automatic choice of course.
roberto green

Postby stmichael » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:49 am

lescott would get in our side at left back, arteta would get in at left midfield and yakubu would probably get a spot upfront with torres.

nobody else would get a sniff.

carsley in there is just nonsense. he and gravesen should stick to their right said fred tribute act
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion