Blue square - Hand on heart

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redbeergoggles » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:30 am

Ok!  in all honesty who among the members of this forum would hand on heart follow Liverpool, if they were in the Blue Square rather than the echelons of the Premier League ,seriously people I would appreciate a candid answer ,not to discriminate against those that state no as their reply ,but to form a general consensus .
Maybe you could proffer a reason to validate your unstinting support no matter what level Liverpool find themselves playing at ...
Mine is simply regional, I support The Reds because it is my heritage ,my birthright ,no great revelation just simple geography ,be interesting to hear other posters views ,and before anyone suggests this thread was conceived with the intention of forming a witch hunt ,that particular notion  couldn't be further from the truth ,I merely wish to hear peoples differing perspectives
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC4allseasons » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:44 am

Of course I'd support Liverpool Football Club whatever division their in because I haven't spent the past 18 years supporting this club just to sod them off because they're no longer in England's top flight. I love this club and that love will continue until the day I go and stand on the Kop in the sky.
LFC4allseasons

Postby redbeergoggles » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:55 am

Say for instance Liverpool had none of their  illustrious history ,no cups, no Anfield and had started life in the lower leagues only to  be struggling even now ,would you still support them ?  ,thats the question I want answering ..
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:36 am

I started supporting Liverpool in 1965 while watching the cup final on TV. I had heard of Liverpool (because of the Beatles) and had never heard of Leeds, which was my only reason for picking them. So no doubt if they had had not been in the cup final or maybe even if they had lost I might never have supported them.
account deleted by request

Postby bigmick » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:43 am

Its a strange question RBG, and although you have stated it's not an OOTer thread, it certainly looks like one, walks like one and talks like one. I was born and raised in Scarborough North Yorks, where pretty much everyone was a Leeds supporter. My old fella is a cockney (Spurs fan) and despised all things Leeds with a passion, so they were always ruled out for me. For some reason when I was around 5 or 6 I settled on Liverpool as my team. It led to a few dust-ups on our estate over the years, but I had the last and most enduring laugh as we became the best team in the land over Leeds in the years which followed.

Obviously I wouldn't change my team for the rest of my natural, but as you say, that's not the point of your question. The point of your question is presumeably to get people such as me to admit that if we been in Port Vales position in 1972, would we have been less likely to become Liverpool fans in the first place?

The answer of course is yes, I would have been less likely as a six year old to choose a team which languished in mid table of the Old third division, who I had no prospect of ever watching on the telly, and none of who's players I had ever heard of. I hope that makes everyone feel better about themselves, and it seems silly denying the obvious.
Last edited by bigmick on Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:47 am

s@int wrote:I started supporting Liverpool in 1965 while watching the cup final on TV. I had heard of Liverpool (because of the Beatles) and had never heard of Leeds, which was my only reason for picking them. So no doubt if they had had not been in the cup final or maybe even if they had lost I might never have supported them.

In all honesty Saint I support Liverpool mainly because my Mum and Dad were avid fans ,but if the Reds had not had the success that Shankly brought them ,who knows maybe I would have had Z cars  as my ring tone (I shudder at the thought )..
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:49 am

I'm also bound to say that as a dyed in the wool OOTer it is a constant surprise to me how often people who claim to regularly go to games know very little about the subject (not necessarily talking about you here RBG). The notion that being born within 5 miles of Anfield and a season ticket holder qualifies you as being some sort of expert on all things Association Football is disproven categorically on here on a daily basis.

That said, I've always been the first to admit that OOTers don't "feel" it like scousers. We don't feel the same hatred for Everton for example, not working alongside them etc. We don't necessarily feel the same hatred for Owen going to Man Utd, although in some cases I'm probably wrong. Perhaps though there is a trade off whereby distance and detatchment allows for a certain impartiality and sensibility, who knows.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:00 am

bigmick wrote:Its a strange question RBG, and although you have stated it's not an OOTer thread, it certainly looks like one, walks like one and talks like one. I was born and raised in Scarborough North Yorks, where pretty much everyone was a Leeds supporter. My old fella is a cockney (Spurs fan) and despised all things Leeds with a passion, so they were always ruled out for me. For some reason when I was around 5 or 6 I settled on Liverpool as my team. It led to a few dust-ups on our estate over the years, but I had the last and most enduring laugh as we became the best team in the land over Leeds in the years which followed.

Obviously I wouldn't change my team for the rest of my natural, but as you say, that's not the point of your question. The point of your question is presumeably to get people such as me to admit that if we been in Port Vales position in 1972, would we have been less likely to become Liverpool fans in the first place?

The answer of course is yes, I would have been less likely as a six year old to choose a team which languished in mid table of the Old third division, who I had no prospect of ever watching on the telly, and none of who's players I had ever heard of. I hope that makes everyone feel better about themselves, and it seems silly denying the obvious.

Mick whatever this thread evolves into ,surely it will transpire to engage debate  rather  than the tired Kuyt beating threads or the equally tiresome Alonso Mascherano episode ,surely you can see threads are becoming stagnant fella ,this was simply an attempt to ascertain a more open and honest view ,not as you have stated a veiled attempt at enraging the more paranoid amongst us ........

As I have stated before I find no shame in declaring my lineage as I am proud to be a Scouser ,but I have never once on this forum shot anyone down for coming from outside Liverpool ,indeed everyone has the right to follow this special club
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby redbeergoggles » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:09 am

bigmick wrote:I'm also bound to say that as a dyed in the wool OOTer it is a constant surprise to me how often people who claim to regularly go to games know very little about the subject (not necessarily talking about you here RBG). The notion that being born within 5 miles of Anfield and a season ticket holder qualifies you as being some sort of expert on all things Association Football is disproven categorically on here on a daily basis.

That said, I've always been the first to admit that OOTers don't "feel" it like scousers. We don't feel the same hatred for Everton for example, not working alongside them etc. We don't necessarily feel the same hatred for Owen going to Man Utd, although in some cases I'm probably wrong. Perhaps though there is a trade off whereby distance and detatchment allows for a certain impartiality and sensibility, who knows.

Mick I have mates who are totally devoid of any football brain ,but go the game religiously every week ,and their idea of a football debate is singing the players name  loudly down your ear in an attempt to stifle your imput ,thus rendering the argument futile  .
So in hindsight there is certainly fuel for your claim  :D
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:23 am

redbeergoggles wrote:Mick I have mates who are totally devoid of any football brain ,but go the game religiously every week ,and their idea of a football debate is singing the players name  loudly down your ear in an attempt to stifle your imput ,thus rendering the argument futile  .
So in hindsight there is certainly fuel for your claim  :D

Well fair enough then (got to be honest I didn't expect you to agree with me so you've kind of thrown me off balance a bit there :D).
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:28 am

I suppose picking a football club is a little similar to picking a wife, you can't really explain why this particular one just seems right for you, but once you meet the right person (or club) everything just seems to come together. Although while you may change your mind about your wife over time, very few ever change their mind about their club.

I have been married 27 years, but I have supported Liverpool for over 40, so I don't think there is much chance of me changing my mind about either now.
account deleted by request

Postby GOAT » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:31 am

I'd support them whatever devision they were in lad, I was brought up on LFC since i was very young, I never thought about anyone else even though I didn't really understand footy so much at 4 years old
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby JoeTerp » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:33 am

hand on heart I would still support LFC, but I would find it increasingly difficult. It would be very hard for me to watch the games if they were in the Blue Square Premier. I do imagine that I would adopt a "2nd team," probably in Spain, Italy or Germany to "watch with interest" so that I could at least watch some footy on the telly "with interest."

And I probably would not have chosen to support LFC if they were a non league team when I started following football.

But its also a case of if my Aunt had testicles she would be my Uncle, as this situation would never happen.

And to further the discussion what I don't understand is how I read sometimes (mostly in other places) about how some locals "cannot fathom how some OOTer could just "pick" a football team to follow."  How could they say that? Doesn't every Scouser just about, have a choice on which team to follow. Its not like the lines are drawn East v. West or North v. South right?  And there are many cases of families coming supporting both the blue and red halfs of Merseyside, so even if your family was mostly red, it stills seems perfectly within the realm of possibility, (in a lot of cases) that one could end up becoming a Blue.  So an out of town Red is someone that chose the club over a vast number of more practical alternatives.  I don't think this should be looked at in a bad manner, it should be celebrated. You cannot really control where you are born, but you can certainly choose which football club to support, and IF ANYTHING, it takes something a bit extra to support the team that isn't closest to you.  Further, in this day and age where money is so important and the game is so global, clubs NEED to embrace fans from wherever they can get them in order to compete with the other biggest clubs in the world.
JoeTerp

Postby roberto green » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:50 am

redbeergoggles wrote:Say for instance Liverpool had none of their  illustrious history ,no cups, no Anfield and had started life in the lower leagues only to  be struggling even now ,would you still support them ?  ,thats the question I want answering ..

I don't think 85% of people on this forum would support liverpool now if it hadn't been for their history.Mainly because that success brings outside interest i,e outside of the city and in other towns citys,and in other countries that haven't got their own club to identify with in a top league, they grab hold of a successful club and follow them (and by the way i'm not slating anyone who is from outside Liverpool).

As for would I still follow them?Yes I would as my Dad brought me into the football world going to the game and as a local it would of only bee between the 2 teams on merseyside Liverpool or Liverpool reserves

:D
roberto green

Postby simolonge » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:26 am

I dream of relegation, to rid this club of the hangers on.
simolonge

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion