Bid on stevie g by chelski - Chelsea's ambitious bid for gerrard

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby azriahmad » Thu May 20, 2004 4:04 am

I read the paper this morning in Malaysia that Chelsea are preparing to bid 30 million pounds on Steven Gerrard with a salary package of over 100,000 pounds a week.

Furthermore, they are trying to entice him by projecting their image that Chelsea are going big guns on all fronts with further squad strengthening and persuade him that his best chances of top level honours are at Chelsea rather than at Liverpool.

Due to the large sum of money on the table, it is thought that Liverpool's Chairman and CEO are seriously considering this approach by Chelsea.

Last season, Liverpool rejected Chelsea's bid for 20 million to buy Gerrard but with his outstanding performances this season, his market value has risen to much more than that.

What do you guys think? Cash in and look for more players to add to the squad? Drive a harder bargin and get more money? Or just totally reject the offer.

I know a lot of you will not want to lose Gerrard, but 30 million or so is a hell of a lot of money... But then, Houllier can blow this on 3 or so of this on some ill-judged purchase for "potential"...
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red » Thu May 20, 2004 7:19 am

Sel him to Chelsea for 30 mil, arrange with Stevie to play abysmally all year, own goals etc, buy him back for 5mil next year.
Football is a simple game, all you have to do is pass the ball to a player in a red shirt.
Red
LFC Elite Member

Postby RedSi » Thu May 20, 2004 9:19 am

I can't believe this question is being asked Azriahmad, 30mill might be a lot of dough but Stevie is the one player at our club who is irreplaceable. 10, 20, 30 mill might buy you a technically gifted footballer or two but it doesn't buy you the heart and the devotion to the club which Stevie has and which is vital to any chance of future success we might have at this moment in time.

I believe that this may hinge on the GH situation, if reports are to be believed Stevie has had a word with Moores and Parry on the QT to the effect that the only way the club can show it's ambition is to replace GH and get in some world class players. If the club do not heed the warning of it's own captain and star player then I fear the worst I'm afraid.... :(
RedSi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redtribe » Thu May 20, 2004 9:34 am

He's going nowhere!

So whats the point of talking about it!!!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Thu May 20, 2004 9:54 am

I have to hear c**p like this all day from the chelski ****** I work with.  :angry:
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Thu May 20, 2004 9:59 am

Just ask them to list their honours over the years and you'll get a nice bit of peace & quiet.

Stevie's going nowhere. He's contracted to Liverpool and is truly irreplaceable. He also has LFC running through his veins and would gain nothing by going to Chelsea. Not even Roman Abramovich could afford what Stevie is actually worth to us
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu May 20, 2004 10:16 am

Woollyback wrote:Not even Roman Abramovich could afford what Stevie is actually worth to us

Yeah but could he afford what Stevie is worth to the board ?
What happens if Chelsea come back with a £50 or even £60 million offer ?
You might say "don't be daft " but don't forget Ambramovich is ambitious and ruthless and that kind of money is still small change by his standards.
We can only pray that our board are equally ambitious . :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Boocity » Thu May 20, 2004 10:29 am

I think the board would be cutting their own throats if they sold SG
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Thu May 20, 2004 10:35 am

To sell Gerrard would be to rip the very heart out of the team and the club as a whole. He is the lifeblood of LFC and even £50m couldn't buy players who could replace the impact Stevie has on the club.

Personally I can't think of any player(s) who could replace him. Not Zidane, not Figo, not Viera, nobody.

The board would be signing their own death warrants if they sold him.
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu May 20, 2004 10:42 am

The thought of Stevie in a Chelsea strip mkes my stomach turn.
I don't seriously think he'll be going anywhere but this board is capable of anything and when interest is shown in our best players i do get the jitters. :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Woollyback » Thu May 20, 2004 10:47 am

Frightening stuff when it's Chelsea with seemingly bottomless pockets
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu May 20, 2004 1:19 pm

I think the club MUST REJECT ANY BID from Chelsea for Steven Gerrard, whether its £30million, £40million or even a £100million purely on a point of principle.

If we give into Chelsea over Gerrard we are finished as a big club as Arsenal, Man UTD and Chelsea will know in future that they could steal away our best players merely by offering us loads of money.

Even if we did accept Chelsea's £30million bid, what would we do with it? There are very few of Steven Gerrard's ability in world football, and aside from Patrick Vieria there's no-one I can think of that is as good as Stevie.

We'd blow the £30million on rubbish and will have to wait another five years or so for another top class player to come through our academy to make up for the loss. And then Chelsea will write us yet another fat cheque for that new academy player and we'd be right back to square one.

The very fact that Chelsea have made a bid for our best player in my view demaands the resignation of David Moores.

We were perfectly poised at the start of the 1990s to dominate the Premiership and establish ourselves as the most powerful and wealthiest club in the world. Had our success continued we would have made buckets of cash from the Premiership, Champions League and ourseas markets in the 1990s. However, the board made some terrible blunders (Souness, Evans etc) and instead of us milking in all the tv and merchandising money, Man UTD beat us to it instead.

I remember seeing a report lately which estimated that at least half of Man UTD fans today started supporting the club in the 1990s as Man UTD were doing well in England and satellite tv broadcast their image across the world.

If it had been Liverpool (or Arsenal for that matter) who knows how things might have turned out.

I'm sick of David Moores regime of incompetency and if he sells Gerrard to Chelsea then we are finished: it'll mean that we are Chelsea, Man UTD and Arsenal's bitch.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Stan Laurel » Thu May 20, 2004 1:55 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:I'm sick of David Moores regime of incompetency and if he sells Gerrard to Chelsea then we are finished: it'll mean that we are Chelsea, Man UTD and Arsenal's bitch.

I agree with you, it does scare me sh1t!

But don't believe what they said on newspaper, Chelsea are trying to wind us up!!!
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu May 20, 2004 2:03 pm

im not even going to post a reply to this stupid topic itsd so ludicrous...

d'oh
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Thu May 20, 2004 2:16 pm

Stevie's never wanted Chelsea
But he doesn't make any move around the rumors for strengthening his demand: 3 int'l players should be landed or he'll be giving it some thoughts to leave (not definitely sure where to go yet).
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion