Izaguirre
No votes
Cissokho
2%
Zapata
2%

Total votes : 56

Postby Penguins » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:53 pm

Just dissapointed that we never buy quaility wingers.

Same :censored: these past 10 years. 15 central midfielders and not one winger making us play players out of positions as we still employ tactics that require wingers.

Just so daft.. :(
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby killerp » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:16 am

Penguins wrote:Just dissapointed that we never buy quaility wingers.

Same :censored: these past 10 years. 15 central midfielders and not one winger making us play players out of positions as we still employ tactics that require wingers.

Do you rate Downing as a quality winger?
killerp

Postby crazyhorse » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 am

Personally I would rate Downing as in the top 20% of wingers, but not the to 10% at the moment. I think he would be a good signing. He has put his injuries behind him and is still reasonably young. There is scope for him to improve.

At the moment he can improve the squad, but not take it to the next level. A hole will be filled with a very capable player, we will get into CL next year which will have the knock on effect of being able to attract even better players.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anti-hero » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:30 pm

i agree with this.

sheeeeeesh. during rafa's time i was under the impression that we would only have to make do with converted inside 'wingers' and not quality out and out ones because of the whole ownership fracas.

i know that isnt the case now but i still see no change. we're linked to dozens of new 'attacking/central midfielders' from charlie adam to fernando gago to ki-seung park(?)

i'm just a little baffled.

maybe i'd just like to see or hear us being more interested in wing backs and wingers.
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:36 pm

anti-hero wrote:

i agree with this.

sheeeeeesh. during rafa's time i was under the impression that we would only have to make do with converted inside 'wingers' and not quality out and out ones because of the whole ownership fracas.

i know that isnt the case now but i still see no change. we're linked to dozens of new 'attacking/central midfielders' from charlie adam to fernando gago to ki-seung park(?)

maybe i'd just like to see or hear us being more interested in wing backs and wingers.

mayhaps there is a shortage of wingers in the market?

Just think about it... how many out and out wingers come to mind in today's football? as compared to CM's and AM's...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:54 pm

But how is it possible that Manure have managed to get Ronaldo, Nani, Valencia, Young etc just in the last few years?

All quality and wingers. If they can sure as **** can we.
Just poor excuses for our inabilites....
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby anti-hero » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:19 pm

maguskwt wrote:
anti-hero wrote:

i agree with this.

mayhaps there is a shortage of wingers in the market?

Just think about it... how many out and out wingers come to mind in today's football? as compared to CM's and AM's...

i dont think there is a shortage of any kind of player, regardless of the position that they play in. its a global market man, there is no way that there is a lack of wingers around.

lack of quality ones maybe, but then again we're talking about the needs of the team here.

we've been crying out for speed and natural width for years. even when we didnt have a traditional target man, an out and out winger was someone we always said we needed to facilitate another dimension in our attacking play.

what i'm trying to say is i am fed up with seeing us sticking another cm/am on the wings and hoping they can do an okay job. we need natural wingers. for the time being, even if they're not adam johnson/david silva material, i'd settle for mata/downing calibre players.
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Calum » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:44 pm

I assume the lack of activity in the transfer market is because of people being on holiday? I expected more players to have arrived, so I hope we will see more activity next month. Apart from United, all the other teams in the top 6 have been very quiet. I may be in the minority here, but I still want Charlie Adam to be a signing.
Calum

Postby alwayslfc » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:45 am

Calum wrote:I assume the lack of activity in the transfer market is because of people being on holiday? I expected more players to have arrived, so I hope we will see more activity next month. Apart from United, all the other teams in the top 6 have been very quiet. I may be in the minority here, but I still want Charlie Adam to be a signing.

[quote]

Whether getting Charlie Adam will be a good signing or not depends on whether Kenny needs a player to fill in the lost Alonso role (accurate telling passes).

If Kenny needs this kind of player then get Charlie by all means. But if no, give him a miss. Charlie isn't really the sort of players who can dribble and ghost past defenders, round the keeper and pop the ball into an empty net. Charlie definitely doesn't fit this bill.
alwayslfc

Postby alwayslfc » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:48 am

I hope I am wrong, but I think we cannot compete with the top 4 for the players that we want. If a player is wanted by us and any of the top 4, they will opt for them, not us. Because we cannot provide European football and we're not as rich as them. Connor Wickham case is another example, either we're not serious in getting him or our budget is tight.
alwayslfc

Postby jacdaniel » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:46 am

alwayslfc wrote:I hope I am wrong, but I think we cannot compete with the top 4 for the players that we want. If a player is wanted by us and any of the top 4, they will opt for them, not us. Because we cannot provide European football and we're not as rich as them. Connor Wickham case is another example, either we're not serious in getting him or our budget is tight.

Its hard to tell what our budget actually is if indeed there is one at all.
We splashed a lot in January but the overall netspend was close enough to breaking even.

I personlly think we have a lot to spend, othewise paying so much for Henderson would seem senseless.
I did think we were trying to get our business done quickly but thats probably not the case now.  Wait and see I guess.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby killerp » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:29 pm

jacdaniel wrote:
alwayslfc wrote:I hope I am wrong, but I think we cannot compete with the top 4 for the players that we want. If a player is wanted by us and any of the top 4, they will opt for them, not us. Because we cannot provide European football and we're not as rich as them. Connor Wickham case is another example, either we're not serious in getting him or our budget is tight.

Its hard to tell what our budget actually is if indeed there is one at all.
We splashed a lot in January but the overall netspend was close enough to breaking even.

I personlly think we have a lot to spend, othewise paying so much for Henderson would seem senseless.
I did think we were trying to get our business done quickly but thats probably not the case now.  Wait and see I guess.

What if Henderson is our biggest signing..... :sniffle .....
killerp

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion