Best lfc goals - Since the premiership started

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:56 am

just thought i would reminisce about some of the best liverpool goals since the premiership started. there have been some truly memorable efforts, some more important than others for obvious reasons. i have been fortunate enough to see many great players during this time score some cracking goals, e.g. owen, fowler, mcmanaman, rush, gerrard. here are some of the goals which still stick in my mind like they were yesterday.

1. john arne riise vs manure. that free kick. came at a time when we were beating them for fun in all competitions.  sky technology confirmed that as being the hardest shot in premiership history. the ball had gone in the net and come out again before barthez dived. absolute belter.

2. robbie fowler vs aston villa. we won 3-0 at anfield with 3 goals in the first 8 minutes. fowler's first summed up everything that was great about him at the time. he nutmegged staunton with a brilliant cruyff style turn and rifled a 30 yard left foot shot into the corner.

3. gary mcallister vs the blue sh#te. unbelievable opportunism. even the commentator said "he had no right to score from there" i was there and was going absolutely ballistic. it was justice though after nearly getting screwed by jeff winter giving everton a dodgy penalty.

just some of the great goals i remember. which premiership goals stick in your mind? ???
Last edited by stmichael on Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby XSD » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:08 pm

Quite a few to recall.
I'd say that last seasons goal of the season was quite good.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:28 pm

The one that makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up all the time is the "Collymore's closing in" for Sky on the 4-3 game versus the toon army.

Edge of the box, picture it, Rush, to Barnes, Rush Collymores closing in .............................. Bang bottom left corner.

Amazing.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:35 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:The one that makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up all the time is the "Collymore's closing in" for Sky on the 4-3 game versus the toon army.

Edge of the box, picture it, Rush, to Barnes, Rush Collymores closing in .............................. Bang bottom left corner.

Amazing.

that was the best game i've ever seen live, mainly because both teams were just completely intent on attacking. newcastle were in their pomp and we showed great resilience to come back from 2-1 and 3-2 down. keegan slumped over the advertising boards was one of the images that will stick with me for ever.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby stapo1000 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:36 pm

what about fowler header a year later. just when i thought we'd lost 2 pnts after being 3-0 up, a beautiful cross, fowler rises above 2 defenders, nods it in...YEAH
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:39 pm

Poor Keegan, hes so emotional.....somebody should put him out of his misery and tell him to quit football management and become a pundit.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:43 pm

Sean wrote:Poor Keegan, hes so emotional.....somebody should put him out of his misery and tell him to quit football management and become a pundit.

true.

you look back and wonder what the fa are thinking when they appoint england managers. keegan was too emotional for the job. sven is not emotional enough. hoddle was a good coach but no manager who got sacked for reasons nothing to do with football.

i'm sure keegan used to be a pundit on itv alongside brian moore when they used to show live games. ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:49 pm

Sean wrote:Poor Keegan, hes so emotional.....somebody should put him out of his misery and tell him to quit football management and become a pundit.

Christ no !!!! Keegan and Barnes on channel 5 ,  :D   :laugh:   :D   :laugh:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Sean » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:54 pm

Given Keegan's service to the reds in the 70's we shouldn't be too harsh on him but getting back to your question.....
What about Redknapps free kick against Blackburn in '95.....cracker past Flowers.
The cameras zoomed to Dalglish.  He thought the goal had cost Blackburn the league until he found out United only drew with West Ham.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby simic_ie » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:06 pm

What about Stevie G's goal against Man U a coupe of years ago... took the ball in midfield ran forward about 20m and smacked it into the top corner...sweet. or Didi Hamanns this year.. I forget who it wa against but it was a ball to the edge of the box and he just caught it on the nose full on and nearly ripped the net apart
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:16 pm

collymore at home to blackburn (95-96) was a cracker with his left foot. i also remember fowler scoring a cracking volley against west ham at upton park (97-98).

in terms of team goals, berger against derby in the treble season. we were toying with them. barmby sold about three players a dummy and opened up space for berger to unleash an unstoppable 25 yarder. martin tyler just said "wow".
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Paul C » Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:16 pm

That was a good game, remember Heskey's goal in that game, we must have put together about 20 passes before he scored, he hit the ball so hard without hardly any back swing.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:28 pm

Most celebrated Neil Ruddocks unstoppable header against the Man ure ,Pallister thought he'd been hit by a truck :D :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mynameisred » Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:30 pm

Not sure about individual goal but the greatest hat trick in the prem has to be Owen's against the toon at St James. The little scamp brings a tear to my eye even now. He absolutley destroyed them and I remember thinking at the time how special this kid really is. Most enjoyable has to be each of  Danny's at Old Trafford.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mynameisred » Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:33 pm

Oooh but now Im really thinking and Im ashamed of myself there Robbies hat trick against the A.rse and his two goals against the scum on Cantona's comeback game. Great thread im getting excited.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion