Javier Mascherano
57%
Martin Skrtel
22%
Emiliano Insua
3%

Total votes : 65

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:04 pm

Bad Bob wrote:I thought Fowler was vital to our run-in that 05/06 season and was a huge reason (along with a fit Harry Kewell) why we reached our highest points total in the league.  He scored five goals for us during the last two months of the season.  All five of those were the all-important first goal of the match and three were the winning goal.  In fact, we ended the season on a 9 game winning streak that Fowler was at the heart of.  His first goal of the 2nd coming, opened the scoring in a 5-1 drubbing of Fulham, which brought to an end a month-long winless streak.  From then on we were on fire, with Robbie providing the goals to see off West Brom, Bolton and Blackburn in successive games in April.  He then finished the season off in style by scoring first against Pompey in our last league match of the season.

So, he may not have had the long-term impact of some others on the list but he's not there purely for sentimental reasons.  Re-signing God was an inspired bit of business from Rafa. :nod

totally agree, fowler's signing was inspired business. Scored important goals, lifted the crowd and the players.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Koptite » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:10 pm

mascherano all day long followed by Skrtel, those two have been quality!!!!

and Kromkamp and pellegrino :p
Koptite

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:25 am

Effes wrote:Maybe Bob's opening post was too subjective in asking who was "best" as
most seem to be picking Fowler over the remaining season rather than players who've
stayed since.

I meant it to be open-ended, mate.  People will define "best" in different ways and that's what makes for an interesting discussion.  Some have gone for the short-term impact signing angle, while others have opted to focus on longevity and/or impact at the club now...it's all good.

I think if I had the opportunity to vote, I'd opt for Masch as well.  He's been a quality addition to the side and his consistency has been one of his greatest assets.  I'll still give Robbie honourable mention, though, because even at that stage of his career he still knew how to put the ball in the back of the net--an art that our current crop of lads are finding is harder than it appears. :nod
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:57 am

Fowler for me. He scored some important goals without ever being a regular starter (Something certain players would do well to emulate...)

Let's not forget that he had 3 or 4 other goals ruled out as well during that time.

So for those who dismiss Robbie's contribution - think on.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:51 am

In terms of fulfilling a specific need at that particular moment in time, I'd have to go with Skrtel...... Filled in Agger's boots when required and done really well..... In terms of overall value to the team in the long run and not just short term impact, it'll have to be Mascherano for me.
ConnO'var

Postby Owzat » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:39 am

All six are better than average for Rafa signings. I'm torn on who's best, of course the question pops in mind is are you asking for the best signing in terms of immediate impact or long term best signing?

Agger - had a good start, got injured and now Hyypia is edging back in. Good signing, but is CB a highly influential position when we had Carra and Hyypia to start with?

Mascherano - I know a lot on here love him, but we concede goals with or without him in the side, he offers little to the attack and his sometimes wayward passes are a concern.

Insua - needs to be given a chance since LB is still a position 'up for grabs'

Skrtel - has been solid, a little too prone to give away needless free kicks with rash challenges. Maybe will soon be 'picked on' (as fergie would view it) for his physical approach

Fowler - cost nothing, scored five goals towards the end of season in 10 starts/22 appearances. Was a good signing in the making if Rafa had used him more and kept him on. We could do with him at the moment, he scored 3 in 39 appearances which is ok - if you take account of nearly half of those (16/39) being less than 30 minutes, then that was good going. Fowler scored every 147 minutes on the pitch, that compares to 126 for Torres and he's scoring at more than a goal every other game.

Kromkamp was never that bad was he? Nothing special, but surely he's done more in a Liverpool shirt than Insua? (maybe due to lack of opportunity but even so)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:26 am

Have people really dismissed Fowlers impact second time round ? Yeah it wasnt outstanding but it was certainly important to us.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby we all dream... » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:04 pm

Masch, solely becasue of his role and importance to the team/squad at the present time clearly shows he is a fantastic buy by Rafa, in Jan. Hopefully in the future we will be able to say that Skrtle was a great signing and therefore will fall into the great January signings catagory :D

But as the form is for january signings who have made the best impact in the months that followed Jan it would be Fowler who gets my vote, inpirational signing and player, for team and crowd a like. All hail GOD.
we all dream...
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:11 pm

bigmick wrote:Some good players get signed in January, long term good buys. We've picked up a few ourselves under Rafa, and players like Evra have joined other clubs. The classic January signing though, is the short term hit who comes in and really impacts on the last four months of the season. Usually it's a seasoned campaigner who chips in with the odd vital goal or perfromance and really gives the squad a lift. It's an oxygen player who can carry a team over line (didn't Ferguson sign Cantona in January? Might be wrong).

For us it was Fowler. He came in and did what we needed at the time (still need now in truth) and put the ball into the onion bag on a regular basis. What's more, he didn't do it when we were already 3-1 up, he scored first goals, only goals, important goals. I reckon he was no more than 50% of the player he was in his prime, but that was more than enough.

Morientes was a poor signing though nobody could have forseen he'd be quite as terrible as he turned out, but he'd take the other prize.

Perhaps we could pick up another "oxygen" player this time. Owen would be the obvious choice, if we can forgive those who trespassed against us.

I'd argue Robbie was 80% of the player he was the first time round. Didn't see much of a change at all from the player who left us with all those years ago. A slight change obviously from the fresh faced 19 year old, but still had alot of the same traits, intelligent passes and link up play and obviously was still a finisher.

I firmly believe he'd have scored alot more goals given more minutes as I think he was well suited to the way we played and the type of chances we created.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:13 pm

He did well when he came back in those 6 months but the season after just think the pace was too much for him in the end which is a shame .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:14 pm

Effes wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:So when Fowler come bak he didnt make an impact ?

And i am not just meaning giving the fans a lift either, he scored some vital goals as well as being able to drop deep and play the support role.

Obviously he wasnt the player he was first time around, but intelligence wise he was better than anything we currently have, am talking things like appreciation of space and bringing players into the game etc.

There's two ways of looking at this thread, the way i looked at it...initial impact the player had to the rest of the season.

Or the way the majority have, long term best buy in January, but thats not always what a signing in January is about, ask Harry Redknapp, the amount of times in the past he has signed players just to give the squad a lift and provide something missing for a short period.

Thats why i picked Robbie, nothing sentimental in that.

Good post and a agree.

I believe he had much much bigger impact than people gave him credit for. His performances were excellent aswell and we always looked twice as likely to score when he was on the pitch.

Hang on a minute - you saying the second signing of Fowler was a better signing than Masch, Skrtel or Agger? ???

Those 3 players have had way more influence on the pitch ( and
i doubt Fowlers "influence" off the pitch counters that).

Please state why.

Yes I am. I rate Robbie alot higher than Mascherano, Agger and Skyrtel
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:16 pm

What right now ? Or the player he used to be ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:50 pm

LegBarnes wrote:Alvaro Arbeloa very soild player and has grow with the time he had at club.

And you have to consider that everyone was saying "who" when we signed him, and most were convinced he'd be a flop as we'd seen a lot of player come to us from Spain and not make the grade.

Not only that, his first game for us was away in the Nou Camp when he was asked to play out of position at left back and given the job of marking Messi. I don't remember Messi getting a kick that night. This season he's improved no end aswell, although his final ball could be better at times.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby we all dream... » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:11 pm

stmichael wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:Alvaro Arbeloa very soild player and has grow with the time he had at club.

And you have to consider that everyone was saying "who" when we signed him, and most were convinced he'd be a flop as we'd seen a lot of player come to us from Spain and not make the grade.

Not only that, his first game for us was away in the Nou Camp when he was asked to play out of position at left back and given the job of marking Messi. I don't remember Messi getting a kick that night. This season he's improved no end aswell, although his final ball could be better at times.

credit to the guy, at the begining of the season people were calling our fullbacks into question, now it's, in most instances, just left back that is causing debate.

Dossena looks woeful but I think he will come good, He cant be that bad, Raf bought him for 7mill, even if that was over price it can only be by 2mill or so.... i hope he is given a little more time before he is shipped out.
we all dream...
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:45 pm

we all dream... wrote:
stmichael wrote:

credit to the guy, at the begining of the season people were calling our fullbacks into question, now it's, in most instances, just left back that is causing debate.

Dossena looks woeful but I think he will come good, He cant be that bad, Raf bought him for 7mill, even if that was over price it can only be by 2mill or so.... i hope he is given a little more time before he is shipped out.

the leftback is causing debate coz its really sh!t. if we had a better leftback, im unsure of how Arbeloa would be regarded.
maypaxvobiscum

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion