Benitez explains decision

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:12 am

Benitez explains why he placed Gerrard along with few others on the bench:

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has explained that he left Steven Gerrard out of the Champions League win against Real Betis because he was jaded.

He said after the 2-1 win: "We tried to protect Steven, there were a few players in the same condition.

"I felt we needed fresh legs for a very difficult match.

"Some people were tired, including Steven, and we needed to rest players for this match. We must use all our squad to compete in top competitions."

Benitez admitted his side had to surivive difficult moments before sealing a crucial opening win the Champions League group stage.

Early goals from Florent Sinama Pongolle and Luis Garcia put Liverpool on the path to victory.

Benitez said: "We started really well with two goals and good counter-attacks - but after we conceded it was hard.

"We created good positions and had chances as well. But the most important thing is to start with a win."

On his decision to play Peter Crouch up front, the Spaniard added: "We know Peter can keep the ball and give time to the others to go forward."

Liverpool captain Gerrard, who came on as a late substitute, was delighted with the result.

He said: "We've got a big squad of fantastic players and I think you'll see the manager use them throughout the season.

"They were surprised by what we went with - they may have expected Djibril Cisse to start - but Luis Garcia played behind Peter Crouch and it worked well, he popped up with a goal.

"The idea is to pick points up and we've got three so we're happy."
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Espionage » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:17 am

It amazes me, i think that if things had gone different people would have wanted Benetez in the loony bin. I admire the confidence he has to make such huge decisions like that, furthermore i admire that they actually pay off!! :D
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gracias King Rafa » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:28 am

In Rafa we trust! :D
Gracias King Rafa

Postby Anfield rapper » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:09 am

Its Rafa's job to look at the bigger picture and he has done. I don't know why people are saying Cisse is not in Rafa's plans based on him being on the bench for 3/4 of a game. He's already played a hell of a lot of games this season and we have a big home game against Man U on Sunday. At the start of the season everybody agreed that our best players would have to be rested from time to time because of the amount of games we have. Well thats what is happening.
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby The_Rock » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:33 am

Rafa's tactics work but he made 1 mistake. After he shifted zenden to middle of midfield (in the 2nd half), our whole team looked lost. This allowed betis to come-into the game.

zenden sucks......  :angry:
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:40 am

It is good to see that Rafa isn't affraid to make controversial decisions. His team selection was spot on.
It annoyed me that so called experts were saying it was a negative selection before the match. I'm so glad that we showed everyone that we are not a one man team.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion