Benitez backs his strikers

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:16 pm

Source:LiverpoolFC.tv
  • Rafael Benitez defended strikers Djibril Cisse and Fernando Morientes following the 1-0 win over Sunderland and backed them to score goals as the season progresses.
    The Liverpool manager said he was satisfied with the three points and a clean sheet but admitted the victory over Sunderland was nowhere near a classic performance.

Benitez felt Liverpool started well and then dropped off the pace to allow Sunderland back into the game.

Benitez said: "I am satisfied with the result as it's three points. We started well and created a lot of opportunities and Xabi scored a great free-kick.

"We needed to score the second goal but we didn't. That gave Sunderland more confidence and they put us under some pressure without creating clear chances. We didn't play as fluently as I would have liked but I'm not overly worried about the chances the strikers missed. We could have scored three or four goals today but that happens some times.

"I used Cisse on the right wing but that is not his position. That is why I am looking for a right winger."
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby El Nino_#9 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:21 pm

A.B. wrote:"I used Cisse on the right wing but that is not his position. That is why I am looking for a right winger."[/list]

it is reasurring that rafa knows that he does not believe that cisse is a right winger. cisse is just a back-up solution for right wing for now and thats fine by me.
thats the difference between rafa and houllier.rafa uses cisse at right wing because he has to. houllier used a striker in diouf because he wanted to.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dosserboy » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:28 pm

passmeistro_#14 wrote:
A.B. wrote:"I used Cisse on the right wing but that is not his position. That is why I am looking for a right winger."[/list]

it is reasurring that rafa knows that he does not believe that cisse is a right winger. cisse is just a back-up solution for right wing for now and thats fine by me.
thats the difference between rafa and houllier.rafa uses cisse at right wing because he has to. houllier used a striker in diouf because he wanted to.

There's no difference! Diouf was used on the right wing because we had no right wingers then either! He also plays on the right wing now for Bolton.
dosserboy

Postby A.B. » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:31 pm

There's no difference! Diouf was used on the right wing because we had no right wingers then either! He also plays on the right wing now for Bolton.

And is playing better as a right winger for Bolton than he ever has for us when he was on the wing.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ciggy » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:01 pm

Rafa doesnt sound to convincing on the TV interview about Cisse i must admit, bit worrying actually he says, we have had no offers for cisse, well I wasnt aware he was for sale? he says he is our player now so is milan and now your going to ask me about michael. We have 6 strikers and a very good offer from lyon for Milan we will disscus it and then we have 5 strikers....................he was not 100% procent convinsing about keeping Cisse though, what was everyone else's take on it? those that have seen it.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby oOShrimpyOo » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:02 pm

its as if our players are scared to run at players incase they mess up and lose the ball, ok in some ways it is bad as luis garcia proves, but i was watching the birmingham v man C game today up the pub and they created so much opportunities down the wings because they run at players, if they lost the ball they would track back and work as a team to win the ball back. i dont know what it is but our players tend to make these increative decisions and play it simple all the time, so our play becomes too predictable and needs the likes of gerrard to make steaming runs forward to create opportunities and bring some urgency back into our games. hope rafa gets a quality winger who can run at players and cause havok for defences making us less dependent on gerrard doing it all the time.
oOShrimpyOo

Postby Feeney » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:04 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Rafa doesnt sound to convincing on the TV interview about Cisse i must admit, bit worrying actually he says, we have had no offers for cisse, well I wasnt aware he was for sale? he says he is our player now so is milan and now your going to ask me about michael. We have 6 strikers and a very good offer from lyon for Milan we will disscus it and then we have 5 strikers....................he was not 100% procent convinsing about keeping Cisse though, what was everyone else's take on it? those that have seen it.

Rafa seems the type of manager who would sell any of his players at the right price. I get the feeling, to him,  no-one is ireplacable...  ???

Feeney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:06 pm

Rafa doesnt sound to convincing on the TV interview about Cisse i must admit, bit worrying actually he says, we have had no offers for cisse, well I wasnt aware he was for sale? he says he is our player now so is milan and now your going to ask me about michael. We have 6 strikers and a very good offer from lyon for Milan we will disscus it and then we have 5 strikers....................he was not 100% procent convinsing about keeping Cisse though, what was everyone else's take on it? those that have seen it.

CGGY Benitez is refering to the reports that have suggested that Lyon placed a bid on Cisse, thus Benitez replied that no bids have been made for Cisse.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ciggy » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:07 pm

Feeney wrote:
cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Rafa doesnt sound to convincing on the TV interview about Cisse i must admit, bit worrying actually he says, we have had no offers for cisse, well I wasnt aware he was for sale? he says he is our player now so is milan and now your going to ask me about michael. We have 6 strikers and a very good offer from lyon for Milan we will disscus it and then we have 5 strikers....................he was not 100% procent convinsing about keeping Cisse though, what was everyone else's take on it? those that have seen it.

Rafa seems the type of manager who would sell any of his players at the right price. I get the feeling, to him,  no-one is ireplacable...  ???

Spot on feeney he is probably ruthless behind the scenes. It may be good in one way but in another it can knock players confidence.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:08 pm

A.B. wrote:

CGGY Benitez is refering to the reports that have suggested that Lyon placed a bid on Cisse, thus Benitez replied that no bids have been made for Cisse.

Have you watched the interview A.B.?

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:09 pm

I think Raffa is playin his cards close to his chest Lynds!! I think there's a lot going on in the transfer window for our club but our manager is not entirely sure himself of who is gonna come n go as a lot may depend on what happens with other clubs if ya get my drift!! Raffa does not as you say seem to hot on Cisse but i reckon he'll stay and be given a chance out of respect for his hard work getting fit again!Lets hope it works out!!
But one thing i do think is that in the last week of the transfer window its gonna be white hot suspense and there just might be a few pleasent surprises for us!!
66-1120597113

Postby stoney » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:10 pm

A.B. wrote:

CGGY I know what your saying as although rafa did say that he has had no bids for him, he didnt exactly say that ciise is not for sale or rule him out of being sold or anything.
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:13 pm

stoney wrote:
A.B. wrote:

CGGY I know what your saying as although rafa did say that he has had no bids for him, he didnt exactly say that ciise is not for sale or rule him out of being sold or anything.

Exactly  :Oo: Infact he sounded the same about baros and Cisse. Even though baros is leaving.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Feeney » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:17 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:
Feeney wrote:

Spot on feeney he is probably ruthless behind the scenes. It may be good in one way but in another it can knock players confidence.

On the contrary, I would feel it would keep me on me toes. No ones indispencible. Look at the history - Kevin goes, in comes Kenny. Rushie goes, in comes Aldo. Always been the way and I LIKE IT!!!!

Look at Percy at Chelski, full of discontent for Mr Swave - you certainly don't get that at Anfield.
:laugh:

Feeney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby rash » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:15 pm

selling cisse would be a big mistake.  He is our most dynamic player up front and he could form a partnership with almost anyone.  i think nando is the one to go, prem league is just not the place for him.
rash

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion