Benitez and the history of lfc - ....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Kukilon » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:21 am

You didn't have a team like Chelsea back then.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby azriahmad » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:39 am

I don't think that Bentiez is the wrong man, but I am just baffled why such an intelligent coach and rightfully touted as one of the brightest in Europe still persist in religously tying the team to playing a system which we do not have the personnel for to fully make it work?

Only he knows the answer...
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:46 am

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:1992 was the last time we conceded 4 at home to Chesterfield.

Actually love i think youll find the last time was also to Chelsea under the GH era. I remember beacause i was at that match LOL. It was when melchiot still used to play for them.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:47 am

my point is really a wider one -as much as i am puzzled and annoyed by refas tactics in this game, i understand our shortcomings are in more areas than just that.

i'm really wondering about the great history of liverpool football club. we all seem to accept that we are going through a transitional stage but maybe that transition is and needs to be a bigger thing than we all suspect. we have our first foreign manager with a very different outlook on the game and a very different attitude about liverpool football club. we not even have anfield in a few years.

the question is 'do we go with him all the way?'. i suspect that for all he talks up his passion for english football and his knowledge of its history, that when it comes to the crunch he isn't really that bothered. all he's interested in is taking the club forward in his own way and hang the history.

a liverpool supporter feels more closely attached to his/her club than just about any other supporter anywhere on earth and the history and tradition of the club is uppermost our minds. but maybe its time to forget that? we have the trophies in the trophy room but they, to be honest, will get us nowhere any more. they're history - includiing last may.

to really move on we may have to disconnect ourselves from the baggage of the last. the manager already seems to have made up his mind to do just that.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:48 am

I think Garcia has some damaging dirt on Rafa, and is secretly backmailing him for a starting position.

If you believe this, it explains a lot.....

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:54 am

andy_g wrote:my point is really a wider one -as much as i am puzzled and annoyed by refas tactics in this game, i understand our shortcomings are in more areas than just that.

i'm really wondering about the great history of liverpool football club. we all seem to accept that we are going through a transitional stage but maybe that transition is and needs to be a bigger thing than we all suspect. we have our first foreign manager with a very different outlook on the game and a very different attitude about liverpool football club. we not even have anfield in a few years.

the question is 'do we go with him all the way?'. i suspect that for all he talks up his passion for english football and his knowledge of its history, that when it comes to the crunch he isn't really that bothered. all he's interested in is taking the club forward in his own way and hang the history.

a liverpool supporter feels more closely attached to his/her club than just about any other supporter anywhere on earth and the history and tradition of the club is uppermost our minds. but maybe its time to forget that? we have the trophies in the trophy room but they, to be honest, will get us nowhere any more. they're history - includiing last may.

to really move on we may have to disconnect ourselves from the baggage of the last. the manager already seems to have made up his mind to do just that.

I disagree with you !!!!!!!!!

Its ironic you should speak of Liverpool Footbal Club having so much depth and historical importance yet after one defeat you seem to have no depth in support whatsoever. Im sure none of you were "concerned" for the welfare of the club when we went past Juve Chelsea and in the final ???? ????

Have some :censored: balls you people. Thats your problem you have no balls. Ive seen women on their periods who moan less than you. Are you just not mentally capable of keeping quiet for a few weeks. Im starting to think all this incesent whinging must mean that half the people on this forum are ages between 10 and 14.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:59 am

The Red Baron wrote:lakes I respect you,you have never wavered from your opinion,but in my own humble opinion you are talking Bollox. :p

well thats fair, we all can have our own point of view, and thats why we have forums like this.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby darwisigila » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:01 am

i still believe benitez is the right man for liverpool......we just don have wingers like chelsea or man u...world class.that our problem now. we also must find right and left back that can go offence at will.
darwisigila

Postby andy_g » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:21 am

bavlondon wrote:I disagree with you !!!!!!!!!

Its ironic you should speak of Liverpool Footbal Club having so much depth and historical importance yet after one defeat you seem to have no depth in support whatsoever. Im sure none of you were "concerned" for the welfare of the club when we went past Juve Chelsea and in the final ???? ????

Have some :censored: balls you people. Thats your problem you have no balls. Ive seen women on their periods who moan less than you. Are you just not mentally capable of keeping quiet for a few weeks. Im starting to think all this incesent whinging must mean that half the people on this forum are ages between 10 and 14.

bavlondon, don't be an idiot mate. if you want to read negativity and moaning into my post you must be one of those kids just waitng to have a go from behind their keyboard.

if you read carefully you'll see that my post is an open question. something i think is interesting and important and deserving of discussion.
having no balls? being a whinger? and being maybe 14? d!ckhead.

don't you dare accuse me of having no depth of support you berk. read and think before you respond with such immature sh!te lad.

andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:43 am

Hold on here.

Anfield lost its status as a fortress in the Graeme Souness and Roy Evans days. Losing at home to the likes of Coventry and Leicester did far more damage to Anfield's reputation than a 1-4 defeat to a superb side like Chelsea, who look like they will go on and break all sorts of records this season.

If anything, it was Rafa Benitez who put some of the fear back in opposition hearts when they visited Anfield with his great European results there. Last year Monaco, Bayer Leverskusen, Arsenal, Olympiakos, Juventus and Chelsea are lost there in huge matches.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:45 am

I'm getting sick of all those fans that keep going on about us being "The champions of Europe"..it pales into insignificance if we cant get our act together in the prem. As European champs you would expect us to have gone from strenth to strenth we have failed to build on this success, and are now paying for our inactivity in the transfer market post final. We have still to many average players, and players who are just not good enough to wear the famous red shirt, Our anger and frustration should first and formost be directed towards the board..messers moores/parry they should have grabbed this great opportunity after winning the CL and invested heavily in players with quality and proven ability who could have taken us that extra mile. Instead of whinning on about "how we missed out on this and that player" The time was ripe to strenthen our team straight after we came back from instanbul not wait until practactly the last days before the transfer window closed?,,a costly mistake by the board in not giving rafa the money to compete with the best instead of asking him to "shop at marks & sparks" they pointed him in the direction of "netto"!. Nah for me moores/parry are the real reason why we are falling behind the rest of the prem, there cautious short sightedness has left us chasing the pack with players who are not up to it. We will see just how much confidence  these two have in LFC when january comes...dont hold your breath though!. ???
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:51 am

babu wrote:I think Garcia has some damaging dirt on Rafa, and is secretly backmailing him for a starting position.

If you believe this, it explains a lot.....

no doubt...garcia is rafa's love child......  :p
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:54 am

its not the result i'm on about JBG - and everyone. losing to chelsea is not such a disaster even at home. 4 -1 hurts for sure but thats not the point. what i'm wondering about is whether a change of attitudes is happening at the club and whether it is necessary to really move us on and how the history of the club is implicated in all that.

there's no well-formed theory - just wondering out loud after benitez' post match comments yesterday.

andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:47 pm

this debate between 'who is the best'  between LFC and CFC has been put to bed after the result yesterday.. harsh but (at the moment) true!

however..to say mourhino is the 'better' coach when discussing the two sides is futile imo. on merit alone rafa benitez usurps his peer..

its like saying.. the fella stood on his driveway waiting for a sq. yard of aggregate to plonk itself down, then be shovelled 'by hand' and barrow laboriously round to the back garden.. hasnt got a clue has he?  doing all that hard work, taking all day to do it....patiently and knowingly he ends up dumping it exactly where he wants it to go....the fella in the truck, he has a sq.yard of gravel too. but he also has a hydraulic lift AND an engine with which to carry it. that guy is able to lift the entire load in one go. he doesnt even mind if he wastes a bit, he is blase he will then become conceited and RELY on his machinery to do the work for him...if it fails he can just buy another truck...( i know which method would put down the best foundation)  rafa is working hard for this club and for us...we have to allow him both the time and the right material.

err. i think im going for a brew... and a lie down!!
:D

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Homebooby » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:49 pm

andy_g wrote:during the post game interviews today Benitez was asked what he thought about the fact that this was the first time liverpool had conceded 4 at anfield for so many years. his reply was to the effect of 'no, not really. the important thing is that we lost 3 points'.

while in terms of the league he's absolutely right, in the greater scheme of things i'm not so sure. if this had happened during the reign of shankley and we'd lost a similar record i'm sure the response would have been very very different. he knew what liverpool football club is all about - the Kop, the anfield roar, the 'this is anfield' placque, the ground that everyone hates to come to. the signs that we are a great club with a great history and a great future. these are feelings that need to be upheld and are vitally important to LFC.

does benitez really recognise these facts? would we be better saying that with him we turn over a new leaf and start again? or do we need to have a belief around the club that these traditions are sacred and that to  concede 4 at home is more than just 3 points lost?

I just thikn that that attitude is a pile of old pants and I'm with Rafa on it. It's his job to not have the players get hung up on facts like these and focus on one game to the next...plain and simple.

We lost 6 points on Sunday, move on and move up.
Homebooby

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion