Benitez agrees terms for figo - From the liverpool echo

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ALONSO_14 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:02 am

when you put it like that it doesnt sound too good. but still i want him here, he could do well for us
LIVERPOOL FC- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNERS 2005
                        EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS, 5TH TIME WINNERS
                        ISTANBUL
ALONSO_14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maximus » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:17 am

woof woof ! wrote:
john craig wrote:Figo, even at 2mil, at 32, past his best and on high wages, I'd still take him.

Even if we get one good season out of him he's worth that IMO.

John I'm not sure if you've really thought about that statement.

I don't know what wage Figo will be on but if it is anywhere near the £100 grand a week figure ,that plus £2 million to madrid  = £7 million for a player who will be with us for maybe one season only and will play how many games ?

If he should stay for a second season we're looking at another £5 million in wages . £12 million invested into a player well past his best ? who then heads to the retirement home at the end of his final big pay day . Doesn't sound like good business to me.

:no

There is no way Rafa will take Figo on anywhere near £100k per week, and Figo knows this I feel, after all it was his agent who was 'hawking' Figo around the prem.

My guess is it would be circa. 40k per week, 2mill per annum + 2mill trfr fee - 4mill for a player that cost 40mill only 4 years ago?? bargain, no lose situation.
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby policy » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:21 am

That previous link said 60 thou/week. Hahahaha. Who knows. It would be nice though.
Mourinho was customizing his flashy blue racing car -- applying the finishing touches of go-faster stripes, aerodynamic spoilers and a fat f@ck you exhaust -- while on his red car, Benitez was trying to glue together a broken chassis, repair bodywork and replace burst tyres.
- Paul Tomkins
policy

Postby Judge » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:21 am

mmmm............possibly accurate there
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:47 am

maximus wrote:There is no way Rafa will take Figo on anywhere near £100k per week, and Figo knows this I feel, after all it was his agent who was 'hawking' Figo around the prem.

My guess is it would be circa. 40k per week, 2mill per annum + 2mill trfr fee - 4mill for a player that cost 40mill only 4 years ago?? bargain, no lose situation.

Forty grand a week would be a lot more reasonable ,but your observation that £4 million for a player who cost £40 million 4 years ago is a bargain may not stand up .

A mate of mine bought a secondhand motor for £3000,it cost £30 grand 4 years ago, like Figo it had a couple of previous owners , turned out to be well over the hill and has been nothing but trouble ever  since the day he bought it.

:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:48 am

I would be made up if we got Luis. Being part Portuguese myself, I take quite an interest in the portuguese national team and Figo as an individual and must say that he is fantastic talent. Sure he is past his best and lacks the conssiteny he once had, but he is still capable of dominating a match, and for 2 milliuon is a bargain IMO, especialyl as we really only have Nunez as a right winger which really isn't good enough. Garcia can play their but doesn't give you much width, which is Figo's specialty - he is an excellent crosser of the ball and loves to take on players down the wing.

He will also renew his old partnership with Moro, who he supplied a number of goals for when playing for Real Madrid. In fact I think when Moro scored 5 in one game a few seasons back, 4 of them were headers from a Figo cross.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:50 am

This is from the ITV website.

"The last potential stumbling block appears to be the winger's wages, but morning reports indicated that Figo was ready to accept a massive pay-cut to fulfill his dream of playing in the Premiership."

i know their is no direct quotes from Figo or anyone else attributed to it, but if that is in fact true then it sounds like an even better buy.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:29 am

Maybe Benitez can persuade him to accept £40,000 a week basic plus big bonuses based on appearances, goal scored etc.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby hawkmoon269 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:41 am

Fernando Morientes > 19 < wrote:we need to offload Nunez as well as Luis Figo will certainly get the nod ahead of him.

Do you really think Figo will be able to play in every match this season?  Remember he is 32, and we have Champions League qualifiers, FA Cup, EPL, League Cup, World Club Competition, etc!!
An awful lot of matches!!!  He will probably only be played in the most important games.
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maximus » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:21 am

woof woof ! wrote:
maximus wrote:There is no way Rafa will take Figo on anywhere near £100k per week, and Figo knows this I feel, after all it was his agent who was 'hawking' Figo around the prem.

Forty grand a week would be a lot more reasonable ,but your observation that £4 million for a player who cost £40 million 4 years ago is a bargain may not stand up .

A mate of mine bought a secondhand motor for £3000,it cost £30 grand 4 years ago, like Figo it had a couple of previous owners , turned out to be well over the hill and has been nothing but trouble ever  since the day he bought it.

:D

Good analogy.

However the point I am trying to make is that Figo, only 4 years ago was the most expensive player on this planet, which IMHO would possibly evaluate his playing credentials, ie. a fcuking good player. If Benitez is prepared to accept that Figo can do a job for us, appreciating Rafa's expertise within the spanish market, then who are we to dispute his views ??? 

P.S Your mates £30000 car 4 years ago was obviously not the most expensive car on the planet, therefore not necessarily a good car in the first place    :D
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby RED ANT » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:34 am

Where do you think this will leave Garcia if he comes? I can't see him playing up front this season and left wing is already packed so maybe Garcia will become just a back up player this season. I hope not as he was really starting to show promise in the run in last season after adapting to the phisical side of our league.
RED ANT

Postby Piewhack » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:44 am

It's been reported that we have agreed a weekly wage of £50,000 a week for Figo with an option to extend his contract after one season.. however if madrid insist on asking for £2m for the the player.. i don't see Rafa persuing it.
Piewhack
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Piewhack » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:45 am

Well with the amount of competitions we will be in this year, and with Figo being 32, then i can still see Garcia playing alot of games.. so i doubt he will be a 'back up' player.
Piewhack
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fernando Morientes > 19 < » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:49 am

RED ANT wrote:Where do you think this will leave Garcia if he comes? I can't see him playing up front this season and left wing is already packed so maybe Garcia will become just a back up player this season. I hope not as he was really starting to show promise in the run in last season after adapting to the phisical side of our league.

I guess that Garcia would be used in an Attacking Midfield role in which he seems to be better than on the right wing.
Last edited by Fernando Morientes > 19 < on Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"He is the player that Liverpool have been looking for." - Ian Rush
Fernando Morientes > 19 <
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:55 am

maximus wrote:Your mates £30000 car 4 years ago was obviously not the most expensive car on the planet, therefore not necessarily a good car in the first place    :D

:laugh:   

It was a BMW .(I told him not to buy it )  :D .

Seriously ,I don't dispute Figo's skills and that a few years back he was an outstanding player . My resevations revolve around his personality (i've always seen him as a bit of a whinger) and his ability at 32 to deal with life in the Premiership,I'm not sure his legs are still up to it.
You could respond with ,"he won't be playing every game" which would bring us back to the financial aspect of the deal . Pay £2mill and between £40-80 grand a week for a player you think might be used sparingly ? Maybe we could get him on a "pay per play" basis   :D

Ah well , we'll have to bow to Rafa's superior knowledge on this one .Must admit ,it would be quite interesting to see Figo working down the right for us .
Last edited by woof woof ! on Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion