Benitez agrees terms for figo - From the liverpool echo

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Seba641 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:17 pm

well i read on one website that they will sign him 3 mln for 1 year and after that 1 year they will have chance to sign him for 1 more year
Seba641

Postby real fan from abroad » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:33 pm

No no no no no no no no no no  :talktothehand
we dont need him...................
real fan from abroad

Postby AlanHansen » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:39 pm

The Return of the Judge wrote:why cant we get Raul, he dont need a bus pass yet

Raul and Figo could be over the hill but it could just be that they aren't training hard enough at RM, I heard a rumour that that could be the case.

I think we should go for it, undoubtably he has class and we need a winger, the big if is if he can cut it in the premiership, but it's worth a shot.
AlanHansen

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:54 pm

Figo could be a great squad player....would also be great for players coming through the youth system
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby robin2005 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:22 pm

hey guys--- i have been a great liverpool  and figo fan always---- figo is still good and he will be a good asset in liverpool-- he is still a class right winger n deliver good passes for morientes and cissee n if they get crouch then it wud be fantastic--- i def believe figo will succeed in liverpool coz he has great leadership qualities and gives 100% in th pitch-- so i think it will be a good buy-- wht say guys?? :)
robin2005

Postby crazyhorse » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:28 pm

Figo is a class act even if he is getting on a bit. A player like him can only enhance the squad.
If we got Raul as well that would be fantastic.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:38 pm

i think its a bit of a risk, he`s 32 and used to playing on the continent and i`m pretty sure opposition managers like allerdyce will see him as a luxury player and a potential weak link. he`s definately going to get roughed up a lot more than he`s used to. the one plus point is that he is quite a big bloke for a winger and he should be able to look after himself.
what he will do is supply quality balls into the box which is something we have lacked for a while from wide positions. our inability to beat the first man with a cross has been a major bugbear of mine for about three seasons. i`ve lost count of the number of good moves that have fallen apart with a poor ball from the flanks and and i believe this is a major factor in our lack of goals last season. our strikers just dont get those tap ins from 7 yards from a quality delivery across the box. hopefully if we get him, figo and zenden might address this.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:41 pm

Sean wrote:Hopefully Figo will be in our colours next year because my wife fancies him and with him in the team she'll happily sit down with me and watch all our games next season.

:D  :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:42 pm

yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:i think its a bit of a risk, he`s 32 and used to playing on the continent and i`m pretty sure opposition managers like allerdyce will see him as a luxury player and a potential weak link. he`s definately going to get roughed up a lot more than he`s used to. the one plus point is that he is quite a big bloke for a winger and he should be able to look after himself.
what he will do is supply quality balls into the box which is something we have lacked for a while from wide positions. our inability to beat the first man with a cross has been a major bugbear of mine for about three seasons. i`ve lost count of the number of good moves that have fallen apart with a poor ball from the flanks and and i believe this is a major factor in our lack of goals last season. our strikers just dont get those tap ins from 7 yards from a quality delivery across the box. hopefully if we get him, figo and zenden might address this.

He's also capable of some magic in the box.

If he can show even last season's form for Real (which wasn't a patch on his old form but was still decent) then he'll improve us.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Red Rafa Revolution » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:44 pm

No mate soz about this sad news but we have to pay 2mill for him.bad.

if real is asking 2 Mil, man they must really be living in the la la land. figo is 32, earn about 100K per week and surplus to requirement. his only attraction is because he is on a free. real agreed to release him if he can find another club so that they can take him off the wage bill. if i am not mistaken real still owed figo some money and they still want 2 mil for him.

what a bunch of nutters.
Bill Shankly after beating Everton in the '71 cup semi : "Sickness would not have kept me away from this one. If I'd been dead, I would have had them bring the casket to the ground, prop it up in the stands and cut a hole in the lid."
Red Rafa Revolution

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:46 pm

If Luis Figo is free or around the £2million mark, i'll take him. He is proven talent and he's a possitive player. But if we have to pay through the nose, then I say leave him. After all, Patrick Kluivert was proven talent and he wasn't exactly a smash on the tyne, now was he?
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby policy » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:10 pm

kops_revolution wrote:i dun understand that y Liv keep linking wif madrid players.. 1st we have nunez, then morientes, now Figo. These players r the one that Madrid would like to dump. Nunez is jus a S**t n Morientes is yet to perform his highest level.. Before that, we also linked to raul also. Y?? Y always REAL MADRID?

It is because of our manager. He used to work for Real and still loves the club.

It only makes sense that he brings players that he knows are class (Spanish) and in his mind have the potential to make it here.

Further, we have the best hand in attracting players from Spain because the Spanish players respect Rafa and parts of Spain adopted Liverpool as their "English" team in the CL.
Mourinho was customizing his flashy blue racing car -- applying the finishing touches of go-faster stripes, aerodynamic spoilers and a fat f@ck you exhaust -- while on his red car, Benitez was trying to glue together a broken chassis, repair bodywork and replace burst tyres.
- Paul Tomkins
policy

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:11 pm

JBG wrote:
yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:i think its a bit of a risk, he`s 32 and used to playing on the continent and i`m pretty sure opposition managers like allerdyce will see him as a luxury player and a potential weak link. he`s definately going to get roughed up a lot more than he`s used to. the one plus point is that he is quite a big bloke for a winger and he should be able to look after himself.

He's also capable of some magic in the box.

If he can show even last season's form for Real (which wasn't a patch on his old form but was still decent) then he'll improve us.

magic in the box? is that the euphimism used for diving these days.?

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby policy » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:14 pm

Fig's is still hungry in my opinion.

You see Zidane (same age) only talking about retirement. I think that Zizou is just worn out and tired of the pressure. Plus he has won everything, I mean everything already.

But Figo realizes that he doesn't want to do a Hierro and play for a :censored: team. He wants more honours and has much to prove and wants to play for a big market team that has the potential to do awesome things. It would be a good validation for a career where he hasn't won the World Cup and was seen as a major traitor for going to Real from BARCA! (I am sure that you could list more things that he is trying to prove).

So I say bring him on.
Mourinho was customizing his flashy blue racing car -- applying the finishing touches of go-faster stripes, aerodynamic spoilers and a fat f@ck you exhaust -- while on his red car, Benitez was trying to glue together a broken chassis, repair bodywork and replace burst tyres.
- Paul Tomkins
policy

Postby Fernando Morientes > 19 < » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:16 pm

policy wrote:
kops_revolution wrote:i dun understand that y Liv keep linking wif madrid players.. 1st we have nunez, then morientes, now Figo. These players r the one that Madrid would like to dump. Nunez is jus a S**t n Morientes is yet to perform his highest level.. Before that, we also linked to raul also. Y?? Y always REAL MADRID?

It is because of our manager. He used to work for Real and still loves the club.

It only makes sense that he brings players that he knows are class (Spanish) and in his mind have the potential to make it here.

Further, we have the best hand in attracting players from Spain because the Spanish players respect Rafa and parts of Spain adopted Liverpool as their "English" team in the CL.

Figo is Portuguese, Gonzales from Chili, Zenden from Holland but most of them played in Spain before and i trust Rafa's choices as he is going for proven talents and not future talents as Mr Houiller used to buy.
"He is the player that Liverpool have been looking for." - Ian Rush
Fernando Morientes > 19 <
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion