Benitez agrees terms for figo - From the liverpool echo

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Anfield rapper » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:41 pm

He would only be worth having for free and he's agreed to slash his wages. If Inter are willing to pay 3 million let them have him. He's 32 and surley only has a couple of years left in him at this level max.
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby skipper » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:12 am

Real's demanding money for figo (as if they havent got enough :angry: ).  On BBC news and skysports.planetfootball.com, they said rafa has said the possibility of figo coming to anfield is lessening.

it's all real's fault.  Why would they demand money when they got so much already?  Before they said figo would go on a free.
You'll Never Walk Alone

RIP Phil
skipper
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:41 am

they are still narked off that Gerrard won't be joining...hence they are being sods and not releasing Figo.

the last laugh is on them, they will have to pay Figo 5 million in wages next year  :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby blur » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:37 am

If what the reports say are true concerning Inter's interest, wouldn't be a slap in Real's face if Figo rejects Inter's offer for him (bigger slap if their weekly wages higher than what he was prepared to accept here!)

I don't know about you guys, but i really want him here. COME ON FIGO..................
blur

Postby whylongball? » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:34 am

Figo is a great signing and he'll surely chip in important goals with great freekick ability  :D
whylongball?

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:50 am

laza wrote:RM are Spanish MANCs

If we dont get him i hope he justs sits on the bench and costs them double with his wages bill

I know how you feel but at 32 the only person to suffer is gonna be Figo. He wants to play football, he has got talent coming out of his ears but he'll just rot away on the bench.

shame
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:51 am

he's not coming so lets just forget it
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:54 am

Lee J wrote:
laza wrote:RM are Spanish MANCs

If we dont get him i hope he justs sits on the bench and costs them double with his wages bill

I know how you feel but at 32 the only person to suffer is gonna be Figo. He wants to play football, he has got talent coming out of his ears but he'll just rot away on the bench.

shame

Yeah i know,  im just bitter
After initial doubts i was rather wrapped in the idea of him coming here and now to have it  scuppered by those Real B....ds Inc who shafted us over Owen transfer and then cuptied Morientes really pi..sses me right  off
Last edited by laza on Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:03 am

RM is as f*ck up a team as there is in this world. They are simply shameless and not liking anyone that make them looks bad. When they said they will let Figo walk free, they never thought anyone will take him. But when we have an actual offer, they eat their words and were embarassed because it was the opposite of what they thought. Anyway, I simply view it as a silver lining in disguise. I'm sure Rafa had a back up plan and when Mark gonzo recovered, it will be his position to lose.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby red_indian » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:41 am

strange way to run a team isn't it - wonder if MO has the same problem. Real want a big fee on any transfer but if he doesn't play why would anyone pay more than the £8m he stole him from us for? so instead they'd rather stick him on the bench for another few years - even if the player wants to leave unless the bid is big enough not sure what he can do about it - sad state of affairs for a club that claim to be the 'best in the world' - 5 managers in 2 years, plenty of seats on the bench, vs the chance to play for the Euro Champions with a great Manager - easy choice i think for any rational footballer
red_indian

Postby Judge » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:52 am

red_indian wrote:strange way to run a team isn't it - wonder if MO has the same problem. Real want a big fee on any transfer but if he doesn't play why would anyone pay more than the £8m he stole him from us for? so instead they'd rather stick him on the bench for another few years - even if the player wants to leave unless the bid is big enough not sure what he can do about it - sad state of affairs for a club that claim to be the 'best in the world' - 5 managers in 2 years, plenty of seats on the bench, vs the chance to play for the Euro Champions with a great Manager - easy choice i think for any rational footballer

red indian, are you the wingback from 78??
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:53 am

With him going on the USA tour the chances of him signing are less and less, Real are being total a@ses about it, they owe us BIG TIME after Mcmanaman, Owen and having Nando cup tied last year.
I cant see him coming now...but hope i'm wrong.
I criticised him in a post a few months ago, but after seeing that he will take a pay cut and hearing of his desire to play for us, its obvious its not about money and the hunger is still there.
It will be a shame if its not resolved.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby clint » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:00 pm

aint we more rich than real?
clint

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:56 pm

I still think we will sign Figo.  Expect this to drag on for a bit, but if Rafa just sits tight on this, Real will be backed into a corner and may be forced to sell him.  That is unless it gets too close to the end of the transfer window and Figo may be forced to look elsewhere.  Not sure if he will be playing in the World Cup for Portugal next year so I'm not sure if that's influencing any decision he will make, but this saga is not over yet.

I think Rafa is handling all of our transfers expertly.  I wouldn't be surprised if he let that press release out yesterday, saying that it's looking less likely Figo will sign, to simply call Real Madrid's bluff.

We are definitley in the driving seat on this though.  Like I say, if we just sit tight, the more pressure on Real Madrid there is to sell to us.

They will lose £2 million if we don't pay it.
They will lose £4.5 million in wages if Figo stays with them when he is clearly not in their plans.

What would you rather lose?  £2 million or £4.5 million?

For the benefit of gerrardisgod if you are reading, take your time, I know it's hard question.......

I suspect we'll end up getting him for nothing or a price around the £750,000 mark.  But Rafa will not let Liverpool be held to ransom, and quite rightly so.
jonnymac1979

Postby graemelebroy » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:03 pm

jonnymac1979 wrote:I still think we will sign Figo.  Expect this to drag on for a bit, but if Rafa just sits tight on this, Real will be backed into a corner and may be forced to sell him.  That is unless it gets too close to the end of the transfer window and Figo may be forced to look elsewhere.  Not sure if he will be playing in the World Cup for Portugal next year so I'm not sure if that's influencing any decision he will make, but this saga is not over yet.

I think Rafa is handling all of our transfers expertly.  I wouldn't be surprised if he let that press release out yesterday, saying that it's looking less likely Figo will sign, to simply call Real Madrid's bluff.

We are definitley in the driving seat on this though.  Like I say, if we just sit tight, the more pressure on Real Madrid there is to sell to us.

They will lose £2 million if we don't pay it.
They will lose £4.5 million in wages if Figo stays with them when he is clearly not in their plans.

What would you rather lose?  £2 million or £4.5 million?

For the benefit of gerrardisgod if you are reading, take your time, I know it's hard question.......

I suspect we'll end up getting him for nothing or a price around the £750,000 mark.  But Rafa will not let Liverpool be held to ransom, and quite rightly so.

Fantastic comment, and one i quite rightly agree with. Liverpool has been the butt of so many clubs in the recent past, with the Owen saga, and sending out many of our players on loan. And many of these clubs haven't even used their option to buy clause. I think Rafa is bringing back some credibility in the transfer market lost by Houllier in the latter stages of his tenure. Liverpool will once again be a force to be reckoned with, and many strong, big named players will always be linked with us, which only brings positives to the club.

Long Live Rafa.
graemelebroy

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion