Benitez agrees terms for figo - From the liverpool echo

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RED ANT » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:58 am

Fernando Morientes > 19 < wrote:
RED ANT wrote:Where do you think this will leave Garcia if he comes? I can't see him playing up front this season and left wing is already packed so maybe Garcia will become just a back up player this season. I hope not as he was really starting to show promise in the run in last season after adapting to the phisical side of our league.

I guess that Garcia would be used in an Attacking Midfield role in which he seems to be better than on the right wing.

Can you explain what you mean by that? If we are playing Figo out wide on the right where exactly do you predict Garcia will play?

I don't see the both of them in our starting eleven especially if Morientes plays.

Your only option is to drop either Gerreard or Alonso or play him wide left which is ridiculous, especially as we now have Gonzales,Zenden and Kewell as well as Riise.
RED ANT

Postby Fernando Morientes > 19 < » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:59 am

woof woof ! wrote:
maximus wrote:Your mates £30000 car 4 years ago was obviously not the most expensive car on the planet, therefore not necessarily a good car in the first place    :D

:laugh:   

It was a BMW .(I told him not to buy it )  :D .

Seriously ,I don't dispute Figo's skills and that a few years back he was an outstanding player . My resevations revolve around his personality (i've always seen him as a bit of a whinger) and his ability at 32 to deal with life in the Premiership,I'm not sure his legs are still up to it.
You could respond with ,"he won't be playing every game" which would bring us back to the financial aspect of the deal . Pay £2mill and between £40-80 grand a week for a player you think might be used sparingly ? Maybe we could get him on a "pay per play" basis   :D

Ah well , we'll have to bow to Rafa's superior knowledge on this one .Must admit ,it would be quite interesting to see Figo working down the right for us .

I agree with your post mate, but i would still prefer Luis Figo's 32 old legs than those of Antonio Nunez.
"He is the player that Liverpool have been looking for." - Ian Rush
Fernando Morientes > 19 <
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Piewhack » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:07 am

RED ANT wrote:
RED ANT wrote:Where do you think this will leave Garcia if he comes? I can't see him playing up front this season and left wing is already packed so maybe Garcia will become just a back up player this season. I hope not as he was really starting to show promise in the run in last season after adapting to the phisical side of our league.

I guess that Garcia would be used in an Attacking Midfield role in which he seems to be better than on the right wing.

Can you explain what you mean by that? If we are playing Figo out wide on the right where exactly do you predict Garcia will play?

I don't see the both of them in our starting eleven especially if Morientes plays.

Your only option is to drop either Gerreard or Alonso or play him wide left which is ridiculous, especially as we now have Gonzales,Zenden and Kewell as well as Riise.

I think he means play Garcia in central attacking midfield, behind the two strikers.. which is his acutal postion.. his best position.
Piewhack
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mighty mo » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:10 am

maybe rafa has an idea of playing figo as the second striker behind morientes or cisse,rafa likes the system of having a deeper striker dropping into midfield like scum cantona used to do, that,s how his teams lined up at velencia,personally i don,t think he has the legs to play right wing every week,but as a deeper striker picking ball  up deep and dictating the play i could see figo doing that job very well with his great technique,vision and experience.
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED ANT » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:36 am

Piewhack wrote:
RED ANT wrote:

I think he means play Garcia in central attacking midfield, behind the two strikers.. which is his acutal postion.. his best position.

Oh i see, just a thought is there any room for defenders and a keeper in this formation?
RED ANT

Postby Fernando Morientes > 19 < » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:39 am

Piewhack wrote:
RED ANT wrote:

That's it... :talktothehand
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:00 pm

here is a taste of what we can expect. at least we will have another dead ball expert.

http://www.realmadrid.com/articulo/rma23727.htm
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby mighty mo » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:12 pm

excellent clip ,lets get him signed up,and we  can have a decent penalty taker as a bonus as well
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby who_am_i_88 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:23 pm

yep, like someone else said earlier on, just look at mcallister and how much he helped the team a few years back even though he was like 34
who_am_i_88

Postby Fernando Morientes > 19 < » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:02 pm

Real Madrid have insisted that Liverpool have made no offer to sign Luis Figo, but confirmed that The Reds have had talks.

Figo's agent has claimed that a financial deal has already been struck between the Portuguese superstar and the European champions.

However, a stumbling block was thought to be Real's insistence on receiving a £2 million fee for the former Barcelona man.

Figo's contract at Real expires next summer and it appears they are willing to let him leave now, with Anfield looking like his preferred destination.

However, the club's head of communications Antonio Garcia-Ferreras says that they have not yet received any offer from Liverpool.

"Real Madrid have not received an official offer from Liverpool for Luis Figo," said Garcia-Ferreras.

"It's true that Luis Figo or his agent have been holding talks with Liverpool but there has been no offer for Figo from Liverpool."

It is also being reported that Figo is willing to lower his huge wage demands in order to move to Anfield, but the fee with Real could still prove a problem.

Rafa Benitez wants an improved Premiership showing next term and such a big name as former World Player of the Year Figo would only improve their standing.

Source: SkySports.Com
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tommycockles » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:38 pm

after seeing that clip, it just makes me want him at Liverpool even more. If he can click with Morientes then we could finally have a team with width and not just trying to crash through the middle all the time. He looks stronger than Nunez will ever be on the ball as well.

Fingers crossed for a few more (slightly younger) world class players to follow!!
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby Paddy M » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:34 pm

We will get him on a free within a few days.

LFC have said that they won't pay anything and Figo has stated he will stay if they don't allow him to go for free.

It's only a matter of time.
Paddy M

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:56 pm

I think this is all sour grapes from Real over Gerrard, i think they planned to use Figo as a player to part exchange + cash and now its gone wrong they are seriously pi$$ed off their star man isn't coming over.

I think Rafa will wait this one out and Real will give in.  They don't want him anymore and there's no way anyone is going to pay 2million for a 32 yr old player whose in the last season of this contract.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:36 pm

letting him go will save Madrid £5m in wages that he'd pick up if he sees out the rest of his contract
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:48 pm

Wait a few days.....Real will realise the error of their ways!!
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion