Bellamy and kewell to lead mass exodus from liverp

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Tue May 22, 2007 1:36 am

Bellamy and Kewell to lead mass exodus from Liverpool

Tuesday's ' Independant'

The Liverpool manager, Rafael Benitez, will sanction a mass exodus from his squad this summer irrespective of whether they return from Athens with the club's sixth European Cup.

Benitez has impressed upon the club's American owners, George Gillett and Tom Hicks, the need to capitalise on Liverpool's second appearance in the showpiece event in three seasons as he seeks to rival Manchester United and Chelsea consistently in the Premiership, but the radical changes will not be restricted to extensive or expensive in-comings.

At least seven members of the Liverpool squad preparing for tomorrow night's final with Milan are likely to be offloaded under Benitez's long-term plans for Anfield and the figure may well rise if Xabi Alonso finds himself on the substitutes' bench at the Olympic Stadium.

Contract negotiations are not progressing as seamlessly with the Spanish international as with Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher and Steve Finnan, who have all agreed new deals that will be signed on their return to Merseyside, and the £10.7m capture from Real Sociedad will be reluctant to commit his future to Liverpool if he is omitted against the Rossoneri.

While Benitez has little desire to lose Alonso at this stage, he is prepared to allow Craig Bellamy, Sami Hyypia, Bolo Zenden, Harry Kewell and Mark Gonzalez to leave following the European Cup Final, while Robbie Fowler and Jerzy Dudek have already been informed their contracts will not be renewed. Several players sent on loan this season, among them goalkeeper Scott Carson, are also available to offers.

Kewell is in contention for a surprise role against Milan, as in Istanbul in 2005,

having missed all but the final week of the Premiership season through injury. His fitness record has been unfortunate at Anfield and, as one of the high earners at the club, Liverpool will be receptive to enquiries.

Bellamy is a target for Aston Villa, plus his former club Blackburn Rovers after one season at Anfield; Hyypia has lost his first-team place to Daniel Agger after outstanding service to the club; Zenden is out of contract and also a major injury doubt for tomorrow; while Chilean international Gonzalez has not justified Liverpool's exhaustive pursuit and has received offers to return to Spain.

"I know we can improve, and we will do that by bringing in new players with character, quality and experience," said Benitez, who arrived with his squad in Athens yesterday afternoon. "I am happy with my players, and I think we are going in the right direction, but this final is just a stopping point on the way. Winning a European Cup is a great thing, we want to be a strong side and win trophies along the way, but the aim is not to simply win this trophy. It is to get stronger and to challenge in the Premier League next season."

Liverpool have agreed deals this summer for Lucas Leiva, a £6m midfielder from Brazilian club Gremio, Argentine left winger Sebastian Leto and the Bayer Leverkusen striker Andre Voronin, but more lauded names are anticipated at Anfield as Benitez spends a £40m transfer budget that could be swelled by sales and revenue from this season's Champions League.

A proven goalscorer is a priority, with Samuel Eto'o, Fernando Torres and Carlos Tevez under consideration, while former targets such as Real Zaragoza centre-half Gabriel Milito and Seville's Daniel Alves are now within the budget allocated by the Americans.

"We will make changes," the club's co-chairman, Tom Hicks, confirmed yesterday. "I think Rafa will be a very busy man after Wednesday. The Istanbul victory was so important for the long-term legacy of the club, and if we can win a second so soon that really establishes us and makes Rafa's job easier to add some players. We've already started that process and next year we want to contend for both the Premiership and Champions League. Actually, we want to challenge for all four competitions.

"I know what Rafa tells me and I make judgements on his judgements. He has told me the types of improvement he feels we need to compete week in and week out. That's the challenge. In the Premiership, you need depth of players and motivated players."

Benitez added: "It is important not to think that, by getting to the final, we have done everything because we have the potential to be one of the biggest clubs in Europe. And by making our second Champions League final in two years, we have shown what can be achieved.

"Now we hope to achieve even more. It will be an important summer. The American owners have now been at the club for a few months and can see what's possible here. Every time I have spoken to them it has been positive and we will be talking again after the final."

Forza Rafa !!   :buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Tue May 22, 2007 1:54 am

Reg, did you have any comments or questions about this article? Or are you trying for a new career as a newswire..?
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue May 22, 2007 2:01 am

I think this is a case of the article speaking for itself.

I personally dont think Alonso or Kewell will be leaving, mainly because I think Rafa has enough sense to realise you hang on to quality players even if they have had injury problems or a poor season. The only other player in the list I would like to hang onto is Hyypia but I would understand if he wanted to leave for more game time.
account deleted by request

Postby mungi » Tue May 22, 2007 5:17 am

it woul dbe mad to let kewell and alonso go. u need depth to win the prem and they provide it
mungi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Tue May 22, 2007 5:56 am

mungi wrote:it woul dbe mad to let kewell and alonso go. u need depth to win the prem and they provide it

That's exactly right. Considering the injuries we had in midfield (I think we had Riise and Carra covering at one point) we would be wise to hold onto Kewell and Alonso.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Tue May 22, 2007 6:02 am

I cant believe the stuff the media is spouting about Alonso not starting one game.  It was obviously a tactical decision to play Pennant on the right and Gerrard throught he middle.  I would have thought that Alonso is about as untouchable as they come in our squad at the moment.
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Tue May 22, 2007 11:33 am

I am all for these changes taking place provided we bring in some real quality (which it sounds like we are going too) but I wouldn't make so many chages that we suffer at the beginning of next season because of it. It has to be fringe player going (Hypia, Zenden, Fowler etc) with the 1st team staying relatively stable going into the 07/08 season. Then we can integrate these new players into the team throughout the season. Look what happened this season when it took our new players a fair while to settle and ultimately cost us the opp to challenge for the league!!
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby el_stinger » Tue May 22, 2007 11:44 am

AussieKopite wrote:
mungi wrote:it woul dbe mad to let kewell and alonso go. u need depth to win the prem and they provide it

That's exactly right. Considering the injuries we had in midfield (I think we had Riise and Carra covering at one point) we would be wise to hold onto Kewell and Alonso.

It would be wise to try and keep a hold of Alonso, but Kewell has not justified his wages since he has arrived.

Saying this from an Aussie POV, sell him Rafa!! Get rid of the dead weight!! Glimpses of form don't work for Gonzo or Bellamy, why should it for Harry?

TBH there are better LWérs out there especially now that we have a handsome transfer kitty.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Tue May 22, 2007 12:01 pm

Interesting reading that article, the outgoing players seem to mostly be fringe/squad players. The exceptions being Alonso (who I can't really see going) and Kewell who would probably be 1st choice at LW but for his injuries.
Any new players coming into the first team will hopefully be of the quality that they won't need too long to integrate.

The media do seem to be going for a WELSH WIZZARD approach by flinging alot of shit about and seeing how much of it sticks.  :D

I can see that big things are gonna happen this summer but with Rafa you can't really guess.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue May 22, 2007 12:07 pm

was listening to bellamy on five live last night. he was going on about how it's been a difficult season for him on a personal level.

he was saying "when i was at norwich i was off every week. when i was at newcastle i was off every week. the same at blackburn."

take the hint craig. they said it because you were off practically every other week after yet another stupid episode off the pitch. :D

if i'm honest i can't see him being here next season.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Emerald Red » Tue May 22, 2007 1:07 pm

Ah, God. The media does make me wince now and again. Complete and total b@llocks, and a blatent attempt to disrupt the camp ahead of the big game tomorrow. Why do they do it? They obviously have some sort of grudge or agenda against us. I honstly cannot see that many players leaving, and for a start, 7 players would be a massive dent to the squad. I mean, unless Rafa has found a definite 7 better players to replace them (which I strongly doubt) then it's utter tripe. They must think our team poorer than it actually is. Don't they realise it's quality and not quantity that we need, and a very short amount of it. Dickheads!
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Tue May 22, 2007 1:12 pm

el_stinger wrote:
AussieKopite wrote:

It would be wise to try and keep a hold of Alonso, but Kewell has not justified his wages since he has arrived.

Saying this from an Aussie POV, sell him Rafa!! Get rid of the dead weight!! Glimpses of form don't work for Gonzo or Bellamy, why should it for Harry?

TBH there are better LWérs out there especially now that we have a handsome transfer kitty.

Disagree. The problem with Kewel is not his wages or sporadic form. It's keeping him fit and uninjured that's the problem. Any time Kewel has been fit and had a run of games, he's made a massive difference to our league form and possition, and I don't care what anyone thinks or says about that. It's fact. The reason why we finished with so many points last season was down to his form in the second half of the season. He's just unlucky. It would be very foolish to get rid of him now that he seems to have recovered from the last injury. If Kewel stays fit for a full season, then he'll be a leathal weapon to have, and almost like a new signing.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redstavro » Tue May 22, 2007 1:51 pm

i agree a fit kewell for a season could be just what we need. ron atkinson said when we brought him that it he was the missing piece in the jigsaw for liverpool (kiss of death). but he could still be proved right . although i think he is a tit. ron atkinson that is.
Redstavro

Postby Emerald Red » Tue May 22, 2007 2:09 pm

Redstavro wrote:i agree a fit kewell for a season could be just what we need. ron atkinson said when we brought him that it he was the missing piece in the jigsaw for liverpool (kiss of death). but he could still be proved right . although i think he is a tit. ron atkinson that is.

Yeah, he was speaking "Ron-glish" when he said that. Big Ron. What a bullshi.ting clown he was, is.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby club_Levis » Tue May 22, 2007 4:24 pm

Nothing on the official website and other tabloids, coz this is tripe!!!
club_Levis

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion