Being a doomer and gloomer for a mo'.. - What if we fall short this term?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby dawson99 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:58 am

we'll be more attacking, ergo more effective if you ask me
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby loopyliverpool » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:24 am

As I've said and its quite obvious if we keep our top players fit we can go all the way this season, I have no doubt whatsoever. It hasn't started well though, with our main man nursing what is becoming his 'achilles heel', so to speak, a groin problem!
loopyliverpool

Postby heimdall » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:47 am

dawson99 wrote:we'll be more attacking, ergo more effective if you ask me

Totally agree, I really think the contribution of Xabi is being blown out of proportion, he was a fantastic player for us but he was no Nando or Stevie G in terms of importance, probably not even as important as Kuyt  :D
heimdall

Postby Number 9 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:04 am

bigmick wrote:
crazyhorse wrote:Has Mick got a groupie
:p

'Bout time n'all :D

Oh Micky your so fine,your so fine you blow my mind hey Micky!!Hey Micky!!

:D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:29 am

Number 9 wrote:
bigmick wrote:
crazyhorse wrote:Has Mick got a groupie
:p

'Bout time n'all :D

Oh Micky your so fine,your so fine you blow my mind hey Micky!!Hey Micky!!

Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:21 pm

Have to say, I share the apprehension of some posters on here. The loss of Alonso leaves our midfield much weaker. I do believe he was the driving force there and we'll certainly miss his accurate passing. Unfortunately, Mascherano offers nothing going forward and even though he's a valued part of Liverpool's midfield defensively, I just don't think he's that smart at the end of the day. A bit of a one trick pony.

Lucas, some say he's "improved" and perhaps he has. But to me, any improvement has been from utterly shite, to just shite. He'll NEVER be a good player for Liverpool IMHO and I'm a bit surprised to see him still here.

Benayoun will be called on more often this season to fill in the gap in midfield. He is a player that has improved greatly in my opinion and may see himself as a regular starter.

Kuyt did give the two fingers to all of his critics in the latter half of last season, but he still suffers from all of the issues he has always suffered from. Hopefully he can reproduce the form of the first 5 months of this year.

Riera, I hope he can offer a more stable product this year. While I thought he was a valued member, he did have a number of games where he simply didn't hand up the goods.

Can't comment on the new boy, Aquilani, as I haven't seen much of him. So, it's best to say nothing. Hopefully, he'll be able to hit the ground running. But, his injury record has to be a worry.

Either way, I think that the release of the midfield in the latter half of last season was key to Liverpool's great results after March and Alonso was integral to that. Without him there may have to be some alterations made, as Lando has pointed out.

I also share Ciggy's worry about our lack of new blood. We absolutely REQUIRED a back up for Torres and we haven't got that. If his hammy goes again (and that's a real possibility), we have nothing.

In saying all that, I'm still looking forward to tomorrow and the start of our season and there is still a few weeks left in the transfer window left. Benitez may pull something out of the bag.

Anyway...Liverpool 1 - Spurs 0
tonyeh

Postby Judge » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:03 am

lucas = sh'ite

voronin should have been given a penalty then we'd have had a creditable draw

hey-ho
Last edited by Judge on Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:07 am

It's not all doom and gloom but there are some issues which need sorting.  The striking department is a huge worry for me.  If Torres isnt fireing or we need another option there isnt one there.  Vorinin is useless and his only still there because Hertha couldnt afford him.  We need a LB.  Insua is a decent play but again we have Dosenna still here when the Manager really wanted to let him go and Aurelio is injured too often. The Midfield is a major issue.  I can see why people are saying not to jump on the bandwagon with Lucas.  I agree he wasn’t the worst player but all he did was enough to get a pass mark.  He doesn’t get on the ball enough and no real moves start with him.  If he wasn’t playing yesterday, would you of noticed?  I don’t think so.  Our squad has nowhere near the required depth and we need to spend but we dont have the funds.
puroresu

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:36 pm

The main problem is we have sod all money. It was embarassing yesterday to see the two benches and see the likes of Crouch and Pavlyuchenko as options for Spurs and the likes of Voronin for us.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby coupeman » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:48 pm

hi my first post and its a moan. I agree we may have no money but what is wrong with loaning some back up or getting some freebies,there have been some around and we didnt seem interested thats what i dont get anyway i better go and introduce myself now ive had a moan:laugh:
coupeman

Postby sixbuster » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:14 pm

stmichael wrote:The main problem is we have sod all money. It was embarassing yesterday to see the two benches and see the likes of Crouch and Pavlyuchenko as options for Spurs and the likes of Voronin for us.

I agree, it was desperate embarrassing. We  have no strength in depth but I don't think that would have made a difference yesterday when you see Babel picked ahead of Benayoun. :help
Forever a red
sixbuster

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion