Being a doomer and gloomer for a mo'.. - What if we fall short this term?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:57 pm

lakes10 wrote:
Reg wrote:
heimdall wrote:
Reg wrote:I agree, it wont be Rafa´s last season even if we finish 5th - the club has decided its course and has invested too much to change now.

Bring in a new manager and make changes, new players PLUS build a new stadium? Forget it! We´re stuck with Rafa whether we like it our not.

what a weird argument, are you saying that we can never change manager again. I hope nobody has told Chelsea  :oh:

Its a perfectly reasonable argument, we dont have the funds Chelsea do, we have stadium priorities and we cant have a change of direction at this point. It would make no sense whatsoever to sack Rafa anytime in the next 3 years.

ok i will take you point but what happens if for the next 2 years we ended up with nothing and end up 5th in the prem both times?

Well I dont have T&T´s ear however if once we start to construct the new stadium we need 2-3 years of stability so difficult to see how we can bring in a new manager without funds to give him to 'rebuild' which is what new managers always want to do (hence sacking the old one). Unless we felt the manager wasnt getting the best out of the team so you change the manager, usually appoint the new manager internally and maintain the same squad.

But we cant even afford a transfer budget now, so how could we combine a new stadium, new manager and a transfer funds! Dreams!
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:00 pm

bavlondon wrote:We are as strong as we have ever been in the last 10 years.

Thats the bottom line Bav, the opposition are also very strong so now the lads have to go out there and show that last season wasnt a flash in the pan.  :buttrock
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redtrader74 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:59 pm

I'm confident there will be a challenge again this year, and that should be expected now, as the squad must be getting into the habit of winning most games, and losing very few, and its these habits and behaviours that have meant Chelsea have been able perform even with a change of manager each year. My two major concerns for the league season ahead are that we have not got an another able striker to replace or assist Torres and the return of Essien is a major threat. Being a bit obvious, if we can keep Torres and Gerrard fit, then we'll win it.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby The Real Deal » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:07 pm

Quality post by the topic starter mick! well done mate. x

Listen, not worried about Rafa's signings or lack of them, the game and transfer fees going through the roof etc, over valued players etc, why spend more than you need to!! ?? Man Utd havent signed many either.

Im suprised at 20m for aqualani etc, as never heard of him, unknown quantity and we needed a winger or second striker 1st maybe??

Suprised Rafa never swept up M. Owen.  considering he brought Robbie Fowler back from the dead, im suprsed he didnt notice.

I am worried about the depth, and if stevie and fernando get a long lay off. whos gonna take the reins?

play babel more and kuyt up front with torres Rafa, Dirk is far too wasted on the wing.

Need a win Sunday for sure
The Real Deal

Postby Reg » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:10 am

Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:30 am

The Real Deal wrote:Quality post by the topic starter mick! well done mate. x

:Oo:
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:01 am

:laugh:
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:20 am

Has Mick got a groupie
:p
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:56 am

crazyhorse wrote:Has Mick got a groupie
:p

'Bout time n'all :D
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby loopyliverpool » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:08 am

It's an important season for us and Gerrard. He is at the peak of his powers and if we are to win the League with him, this season will be his best chance. That's not to say we couldn't win with him in the future, but as he is the most influential player for us and he will be 30 this time next year, time is running out. I know people love to see him play off Torres and rightly so, its a success but, I wouldnt mind him back in midfield. We have players who can play off Torres: Babel, Benayoun, Kuyt, instead. Im optomistic about the coming season, on our day we can beat anyone in the world, consistency will be the key, winning games is the simple answer and keeping are big name players fit will be essential.
loopyliverpool

Postby bigmick » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:12 am

loopyliverpool wrote:We have players who can play off Torres: Babel, Benayoun, Kuyt .

??? Steady on mate.
Last edited by bigmick on Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:34 pm

bigmick wrote:basically what would you consider to be an unacceptable season)....

Question two if it goes horribly wrong is who's fault is it?......

Unacceptable is coming 4th with no major excuses i.e. injuries etc.

Coming third but way off the leaders is again unacceptable.

As is 2nd but way off the leaders.
( I sound like the knight from Monty Python with the instructions for the Holy Hand Grenade  :D  )

No too concerned about The Champs League as it's 5-3 against Man U.

Let's make it 19-18 instead.

As for who's to blame - well if we play teams like the one that started away to Boro then I'll blame Rafa.
That team was an absolute joke.

Too many variables to predict any blame - let's just see what happens.

Im convinced our first 6-7 matches will dictate how we will fare in the league.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:53 pm

We're going to struggle to reproduce last season's form now Alonso has gone.

He was the orchestrator behind our play.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:We're going to struggle to reproduce last season's form now Alonso has gone.

....... before Aquilani is match fit.

That's how I see it.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:43 am

Effes wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:We're going to struggle to reproduce last season's form now Alonso has gone.

....... before Aquilani is match fit.

That's how I see it.

Time will tell, but they are nothing alike.

I feel we will be forced to alter our system drastically if we are to be as effective as we were at times last term.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion