Beckam for liverpool ? - Right side of midfield solution

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sean » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:58 pm

At various times in the last couple of months rumours have surfaced suggesting Beckam might move to Arsenal or Chelsea.  I know he'd cost a few quid but do you think he'd be the answer to Liverpool's right side of midfield problem.

Beckam  Gerrard  Hamann  Kewell

Not a bad midfield to me.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:04 pm

of course he'd be the answer but it would never happen in a million years. :(
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Santa » Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:10 pm

Over-rated, over-paid, over-hype and over my dead body!
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:31 pm

Duff is a much better player, he isn't as pretty and doesn't have a famous wife and seek publicity (only when it suits him though) and he won't chicken out of a tackle in a big game and cost us the tournament or get sent off when we need him.

In short, I wouldn't want that prima donna at Anfield.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stan Laurel » Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:48 pm

True, mate. I rather have Duff than Beckham cos Duff is young and Beckham is getting older now.
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:26 pm

Beckham is unquestionabley world class. However it ain't gonna happen!!

End of!
115-1073096938

Postby JBG » Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:37 pm

While I do think Beckham is over rated (especially by the non football press) he is still a fine player, but any team would be wary of the baggage that he brings.

Beckham would do a great job for a year or two, but he's getting to an age where you probably couldn't justify the transfer fee and wages he'd command.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Gareth G » Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:40 pm

Santa wrote:Over-rated, over-paid, over-hype and over my dead body!

Couldn't have said it any better.

He has a good work rate and can hit a good ball in.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:57 pm

Beckam is 29.  He won't have to worry about losing his pace coz he never had much, so I reckon he might have another 5 good years left in him.  As he gets older I reckon he is going to value his football career more and downscale the publicity career.  However, I can't see him coming to Liverpool as he'll probabaly stick it out at Madrid for another 12 months.

Finally, alot of fans will be 100% behind Beckam in Portugal but would hate to see him in a Liverpool shirt.  Doesn't make sense to me.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:21 pm

I wouldn't want Beckham at the club.  Good player, but definitely over hyped.  History will show Steven Gerrard was a better player than him when both their careers are over.
jonnymac1979

Postby stapo1000 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:39 pm

beckam is an over rated piece of sh.it 
he was awful against japan and all he can do is score from the odd free kick. if chelsea or arsenal want him then fire away, we don't need/want him.
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redman25 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:29 pm

Big Niall wrote:Duff is a much better player, he isn't as pretty and doesn't have a famous wife and seek publicity (only when it suits him though) and he won't chicken out of a tackle in a big game and cost us the tournament or get sent off when we need him.

In short, I wouldn't want that prima donna at Anfield.

Duff is a great player but beckham is world class!!! He would get into any side in the world. Yeah he got sent off but he also scored the free kick against greece to get us into the world cup!! It just shows how much of an influence he had at Man Utd cos they aint been the same since he left.  Some people in here are just talking ****** cos he played for Utd!!!!
redman25

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:31 pm

redman25 wrote:Some people in here are just talking ****** cos he played for Utd!!!!

No, i'm not.  I REALLY DO THINK Gerrard is a better player than Beckham.  He will prove it at Euro 2004.
jonnymac1979

Postby redman25 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:36 pm

jonnymac1979 wrote:
redman25 wrote:Some people in here are just talking ****** cos he played for Utd!!!!

No, i'm not.  I REALLY DO THINK Gerrard is a better player than Beckham.  He will prove it at Euro 2004.

no i totally agree with you there i am talking about having duff at anfield instead of beckham.
redman25

Postby simic_ie » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:43 pm

David Beckham is not World Class, if he looked like Gary Neville and his wfe looked lke Lisa Reilly he'd have been in the same situation as Luke Chadwick ( I'm exagerrating). As Geroge best said, can't head can't tackle and can't run. Beckham will give you effort in every game and put in a few, admittedly World Class, crosses, the score the odd free kick.... he is a top class right winger and an ordinary enough central midfielder but certainly not World Class. My definition of World Class is somebody who will constantly win games for you by themselves, or drag you out of a rut when your in trouble and, apart from running around like a madmad against Greece Beckham imo has never done that. I think there are better ways to spend the £25mil+ than on Beckham
Last edited by simic_ie on Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion