Beckam for liverpool ? - Right side of midfield solution

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby anfieldadorer » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:48 am

It was Beckham who was wrong since playing for manure. :D
He should have been a scouse and played for us!
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby begintoend » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:46 am

If it's best in England, ok, I can live with that stature on beckham. No more than that.
begintoend
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:09 pm

ckay wrote:Beckham was voted in as the best Right Midfielder England has ever seen. This was voted by the whole country and football experts. Can they all be wrong?

how many people who voted in that poll ever saw stanley matthews play? the guy was a genius from the clips i have seen.

gary neville and ashley cole made the final three in their respective positions in that poll. what does that tell you? ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:09 pm

i wouldnt mind beckham but the last two england games he has been pretty poor and i think we could do better elsewhere.. i still want VDV!
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:11 pm

what p#sses me off is that beckham is too close to the england manager and has too much influence over the team. the team should not be built around him, it should be built around gerrard.

imo beckham is the weakest link in the four midfielders that will start against france.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ckay » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:14 pm

stmichael wrote:
ckay wrote:Beckham was voted in as the best Right Midfielder England has ever seen. This was voted by the whole country and football experts. Can they all be wrong?

how many people who voted in that poll ever saw stanley matthews play? the guy was a genius from the clips i have seen.

gary neville and ashley cole made the final three in their respective positions in that poll. what does that tell you? ???

Sir stanley mathews took the game into the modern era, his diet, training and determination was ahead of there time. How he kept playing for so lond is beyond me. He finished his england career at 44 and I believe he finshed domestic football at 50 odd. The thing is, how would he of done now?
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:17 pm

stmichael wrote:what p#sses me off is that beckham is too close to the england manager and has too much influence over the team. the team should not be built around him, it should be built around gerrard.

imo beckham is the weakest link in the four midfielders that will start against france.

I agree with the team should be built around Stevie G, he is the best central midfielder this country has ever seen, but to say that Beckham is a weak link is a bit off.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:27 pm

Obviously you couldn't get Stanley Mathews as he was and put him in there against todays players,  if you saw Bobby charleton in his day , he could barely trap a ball. You have to judge the player for the standard of his day. Can you imagine Lennox Lewis fighting Rocky Marciano, it would be a slaughter. Jesse Owens wouldn't qualify for the 100m final.

You have to judge a player against the guys that were around at his time. Mathews brought the game to a new level, with better training and tactics (he was the first winger to run AT defenders). Do you really think Beckham has brought football to a new level? marketing and haircuts probably.

All polls which allows the public to vote favours modern day players, singers etc. If you weren't around before TV came along you always lose, I mean Diana got into the last 3 of the greatest british person ever (ahead of newton for ****** sake, but he was never in hello magazine)

In short- I am saying the majority of the public are kind of stupid, I mean half the population don't vote (don't bother with any replies saying "yeah well you are in that half, ha ha ha")

You could argue that Di stefano was the greatest footballer ever but if you had a vote , anyone before Pele would be forgotten.

If you go by the logic that Erickson & ferguson rated Beckham then remember that Erickson, O'Neill and GH all played Heskey while Ferguson always said that Keane was the guy who has driven Manure for the last 10 years.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:42 pm

These polls are on-line, so this means that the age group is 15-25 yr old men most of the time. Its the same as when people vote for the greatest pop stars on the planet ever and Will Young beats Michael Jackson and Elvis into third and fourth place.

Ashley Cole is sh*te, and for him to be amongst the best three left backs ever to pull on the England shirt shows the quality of this aforementioned poll.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:50 pm

ckay wrote:I agree with the team should be built around Stevie G, he is the best central midfielder this country has ever seen.

i don't think he is quite that yet. ask me again after the summer.

england's dream team had steven gerrard in the final five for central midfield alongside gazza, bryan robson, glenn hoddle and bobby charlton. for him to be even ranked alongside those four is unbelievable testiment to a guy who is only twenty three years of age.

ok bobby charlton was an unbelievable goalscorer, hoddle and gazza were creative flair players, but only bryan robson could compare to gerrard. the two are very similar in that they are both the perfect ALL-ROUND midfielder. if gerrard can start adding a few more goals to his repertoire then i firmly believe that he will be remembered as the greatest central midfielder england have ever had.

:)
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:16 pm

Gerrard and Gascoigne!!!

*orgasm* :D
115-1073096938

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:19 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Gerrard and Gascoigne!!!

whoever floats ya boat! in all fairness i don't find either of them physically attractive stu! :p
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:21 pm

Stevie's a sexy lookin lad haha. J/k.

I was on about footballing ability. The mix there would be tremendous.
115-1073096938

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:57 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Gerrard and Gascoigne!!!

Agree with you on that one Stu and I'd have Beckham at right mid and Barnes on the left , drool  :D  :D  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Big Niall » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:55 pm

Gerrard,Gazza, Beckam and Barnes in midfield - see that is the problem with all these polls. All those guys have played in the last 10 years. Do you really think the last 10 years has produced the greatest players England have ever seen ( I haven't noticed that many trophies heading your way).

Bobby Charlton has to rate above Gerrard, he drove England all the way through the 66 world cup (portugal semi-final anyone?).

Unless Gerrard goes on to do similar, he cannot compare.

I'm only 28 but I get ****** off when people forget the greats of the past and think the current crop are the best ever.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion