Basics - Sadly lacking

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:13 pm

having watched the game today, and most of our away games this season, i am obviously as frustrated as the majority of fans about our general away performances. ok it's fine saying "we defended quite well" but at the end of the day, football is about scoring goals. you can't win if you don't score.

i watched chelsea today and i saw arsenal yesterday. i noticed a massive gulf between them and us on one thing. basic skills, i.e. contolling the ball and passing it. i lost count against chelsea, manure and bolton, of the number of times one of our players gave the ball away cheaply either through bad control, a poor touch or a poor pass. it's actually quite embarassing at times.

is it the coaching or just overanxiousness?

what do you think?
Last edited by stmichael on Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby mynameisred » Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:17 pm

Were just not playing well away from home at the mo and it would seem Rafa cant quite find a satisfactory system but yes in terms of basics today they IMO were better than midweek but still needs work. I honestly feel tho thats the players nad the manager are struggling with an away system. Compare how comfortable they look in possesion at Anfield with that of their away performances.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:00 am

I think it's confidence (an almost arrogance) and Liverpool do not have it. Maybe so many years under Houllier has snuffed out that winning attitude which we used to have under Evans. It even seems to be rubbing off on the new players. At Anfield they get confidence from the crowd but away from home they seem too nervous. It also does not help that the heart of the team is injured.

I am happy to give Benitez the time he needs, he is a winner and that will rub off on the players.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:37 am

Our players need to realize that they are playing in the most successful club in England. They should wear the Red shirt with pride. Meaning that in every game you step on that pitch you fight with honor and pride. You fight until the ref blows the whistle.

Our players aren't doing that right now. You can't play one half good and the other poor, you have to play both halves good otherwise you will not win the game. I have great respect for Benitez but he needs to realize we are not Valencia and our players need to wake up from the nightmare they are having.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:57 pm

A.B. wrote:Our players aren't doing that right now. You can't play one half good and the other poor, you have to play both halves good otherwise you will not win the game.

No sh1t Einstein.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:40 am

:laugh: Having a  BAD day Leon ? :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:53 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:
A.B. wrote:Our players aren't doing that right now. You can't play one half good and the other poor, you have to play both halves good otherwise you will not win the game.

No sh1t Einstein.

Go back to the cave you crawled out from.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Dalglish » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:58 am

Leave him alone AB, what happened to your sense of humour :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:21 am

Dalglish wrote:Leave him alone AB, what happened to your sense of humour :D

My humour was left in London at Sta. Bridge after seeing us lose.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Dalglish » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:25 am

I would have thought like most of us LFC fans you had got used to losing and dwelling on it over 2 weeks ???

We were beat by a better team (Again) which as you rightly say is upsetting but whats more annoying is the FACT we ALWAYS lose when there is a break coming up for Internationals, friendlies etc...... now THATS annoying.

Ok , maybe you and Leon don't see eye to eye but give the lad credit when he comes out with a classic :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:30 am

Dalglish wrote:maybe you and Leon don't see eye to eye but give the lad credit when he comes out with a classic :D

That wasn't a classic.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Dalglish » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:37 am

Well maybe you don't think so but the dry, sardonic and patronising delivary was classic IMO :p
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:40 am

Dalglish wrote:Well maybe you don't think so but the dry, sardonic and patronising delivary was classic IMO :p

Keyword: "in your opinion"
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:44 am

i thought it was funny and i am soooooooooo happy that its not just me that  the c*cksmoker AB winds up
112-1077774096

Postby Dalglish » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:46 am

A.B. wrote:
Dalglish wrote:Well maybe you don't think so but the dry, sardonic and patronising delivary was classic IMO :p

Keyword: "in your opinion"

Well I usually put IMO if I'm at risk of upsetting someone, it's a pity you don't afford the same luxury to people you disagree with ! :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion