Baros - We cannot sell him

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:11 pm

He's just gone top scorer at Euro 2004.  It's just gone Denmark 0 - 3 Czech Republic, and i'm compelled to post.

We simply cannot sell him.

I wonder did Benitez fly out to where the Czech Republic squad were staying last week to try and persuade Baros to stay at our club, the way he visited Sammy Lee, Owen, Carragher and Gerrard. 

If he hasn't he should.  Agree? 

Yes or No.
jonnymac1979

Postby anfieldadorer » Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:20 pm

At least not to be sold for 3M :D :D :D
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:23 pm

The boys class,What goals GH's an idot he must feel like a right muppet.
Last edited by mistyred on Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:27 pm

Must feel like a right muppet for spotting him and bringing him to Anfield? ok...

The case for Milan to play in the first team is very strong.
I'm sure lots of people will say that Owen is "proven" and so on but lets look at the facts, Baros has scored in the last 6 (possibly 5) Czech internationals and is now the top goalscorer of euro 2004. That is proven as far as I'm concerned, there is nothing to stop him doing the same for Liverpool as he has done for his country, especially if we can improve our teamwork under the new coach.
Cisse is NOT proven at the highest level, unlike Baros. Sure, Cisse scored like 30 goals or so and was top-goalscorer in France last season; I'm not saying he can't achieve the same in the Premiership but I would think top goalscorer of the European Championships counts for more than top of the French league.

Baros might well finish as player of the tournament, and in this case Liverpool will face ferocious competition for the lad, it would be absolutely ludacrous not to play him in our first team.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:45 am

I hear what you guys are saying, but as Master Yoda used to say "one good tournament a good player does not make".

Look at Berger, we bought him on the strength of Euro 96 and he scored twice against Leicester and then dissapeared.

I think Milan is an excellent prospect, but a long way from the finished article. His build up play nees a lot of work, and some one needs to teach him to lift his head up and look around whilst running.

I dont think we will sell him, although I trust Rafa implicitley, and if he thinks he can bring in something better then so be it, he has my backing 100%.

In answer to your question Jonny Mac, No he did not visit the Czech squad when he popped over to Portugal, the Czech boss would not allow him to.

I understand he intended to visit all players on international duty at the Euro's, and also all the players not on duty with the national squads received a phone call and lengthy chat from the new gaffa.

Milan and Vladi had to make do with the phone call as the Czech FA are detirmined to run a tight ship, and protect the players from any distractions.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:56 am

On the BAros debate anyone witha  hole in their backside can see he plays so much better with a big front man (koller) than a smaller guy such as Owen.

This is predominantly why he didn't get his run of games at Liverpool cos Michael's always going to be first choice. What Baros has done at Euro 2004 is a CONTINUATION of his form at international level and shouldn't surprsie as many people as it has seemed to .The lad's scored for fun playing with Koller for the Czech's.

Michale has some serious competition now with the arrival of Cisse who Baros would naturally play better with . So in closing i'd say Cisse is first choice and either Owen or Baros to play alongside him but NOT Owen and Baros together , it doesn't work !!!!!
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:58 am

mistyred wrote:The boys class,What goals GH's an idot he must feel like a right muppet.

Unfair criticism of GH (AGAIN !!)

The only way he could have given Baros a run was to drop Owen and you lot would have been up in arms . In footbal like life sometimes you just can't win!!!! ???
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:21 am

It's a matter of how we want to put it.

Fans throughout Europe are thinking "Milan Baros, who is this guy, top scorer so far, who does he play for."  This to us Liverpudlians is a daft question but to Europeans it's a fair question.  Fans from top clubs such as Real Madrid, Barcelona, Roma, Juventus, Milan, etc..... want know if they can buy this realtively unknown striker for a minimal fee. 

It's fair enough because the lad never plays for us. 

I don't know.  How do you assess it?  At this moment the guy is top scorer at Euro 2004 so you cannot argue with the stats.  Somebody like Mark Lawrenson will argue that he plays with his head down and just runs blah, blah, blah....

Houllier continued to play Heskey, who has since been shipped out to a mediocre Premiership side, in place of the current Euro 2004 top scorer.  We can only hope our new man Rafael Benitez gives Milan Baros a fair crack of the whip and allows him to unleah his undoubted ability on the Premier League stage.
jonnymac1979

Postby Starbridge42 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:08 am

To be honest I don't see any good reason why all three couldn't play together.  Then you get Owen, Baros and Cisse all bringing their respective strengths together at once and using that to overcome any individual or collective weaknesses. 
Of course I'm sure rafa will make the right decision.  And if he doesn't he'll be in for a pretty miserable few years
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:13 am

euro 2004 has once again proved that baros is at his best when playing off a big man. unfortunately that would mean that he would be playing second fiddle to owen once again in terms of who partners cisse.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby supersub » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:21 pm

And why does Owen have to be automatic 1st choice?
I'm sure Benitez will have an open mind and assess the striking options afforded him,when the friendlies get under-way.Hopefully everyones game will be lifted by the prospect of a new campaign and every player will give 100% effort in our attempt to make that campaign a successful one.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby greenred » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:34 pm

Seeing as Baros plays so well with alongside a big man,why dont we just splash out on Jan Koller?
Last edited by greenred on Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:33 am

I wish it was so simple Greenred but lets not forget Baros hasn't suddenly become a player we didn't rate before the Euro 2004 comp is it ?

We all knew he was quality and wasn't getting the rub of the green or the games mainly because GH was frightened to drop Owen when his contract was unsigned ???

The new season offers fresh hope for fans and players alike that the FORM players will play rather than the Flavour of the month players.

Lets Hope Benitez shows strength of character in his selections  :;)
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby begintoend » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:32 am

Well said Dalglish,

GH was eaten up by fear of Owen leaving. Baros was denied many starts. I have heard screams for the start of Baros from fans. And I can see some guys here that succumb to the over-rated Owen like GH. Claiming he is class. :p

Baros throughly deserves his chance to start as the starting eleven. Baros just do what he does best, score and make hell for the oppositions. Cisse looks as good doing that with his speed, strength and control. I feel Baros will repay gratitude to Beni if he gets to start often. All I can see is a player in Baros comitted to giving his best, for country or for club.
begintoend
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:27 am

With Newcastle and Villa set to grab him, Baros was reported to be disappointed by Benitez who only chose to meet with Liverpool's England but didn't come out to see him as well last week. But he said if he gets back to Liverpool on July 19 he will speak to him -and was hoping what he has done in Euro2004 will impress him.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion