Baros brushes off exit rumours

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFC #1 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:48 am

You can't really change a player all that much, if that's the style Baros has played to get where he is today then he's not going to become a different player now.

Obviously He doesn't fit into Rafa's plans, which I think is right. It seems to me Rafa is trying to put together a side which plays good flowing "pass and move" football, with balls played mainly to feet, a lot of one - twos that sort of thing. This is a weak area of Baros' game, his first touch is average and he has poor link-up play, despite him being able to beat players and create good goal-scoring opportunities, which he filed to capitalise on a lot last season.

He's a good player, yes, but he was never going to be a first-choice striker at a club gunning for the league title consistently IMO, and if Rafa sees fit to get rid then I can't argue.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:10 am

Doubtful he will go now as there doesnt seem to much interest.
More likely in January transfer window where due to injury or performance he may attract better offers from teams needing a quick fix . Course that would probably mean  leaving him out of CL squad which may or may not end up being a option depending on how the team goes
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:54 am

its a tough one with him, their are things that he can work on, as i believe LFC has touched on his lack of passing and first touch abilities. Even showing rafa an improvement in one of these areas will give him a better choices for his squad( or a better reason to sell him)the baros debate is up in the air. Isnt Zaragoza in the champions league, why wouldnt he want to go there?
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:35 am

The Canadian Red Army wrote:Isnt Zaragoza in the champions league, why wouldnt he want to go there?

No, they finished 12th.

Teams qualified from Spain are:

Automatic places: Barca and Real Madrid
3rd Qualifying round: Villareal and Betis.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jeffiroquai » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:24 pm

What I think people are not remembering is that Baros was played as a lone striker for the majority of the season.  While there were no other options in the squad, this is not the best formation/position for Baros' skill (though some on this forum would say he has none....).  Several folks on the board have noted his success for the Czech's, matching up with Koller.  He could possibly link up with Crouch or Mori as a partnership and have similar success. 

I think the added depth of front that we will have this season, thanks to Crouch coming in and Cisse being healthy, as well as a having Mori in Europe, may bring a new form out of Baros (new in a Liverpool shirt).

I've got my fingers crossed!!
'Obviously Rafa is notorious for chopping and changing but he is chopping and changing with cream and caviar.'-Steve Coppell
jeffiroquai
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1093441336 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:04 pm

I think Baros names has been tainted as he's the player most dispensible in market value.  i mean your not going to get anything for Le tallec or mellor are you.

But I thought we wanted to increase the number of 1st team strikers! with crouch coming why are  replacing the 3rd stiker for another, dont we need 4 1st teamers?

very odd considering what happend last season.
109-1093441336

Postby stmichael » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:16 pm

He'll go, no doubt about it.

He's clearly talented, but lets be frank. This lad wouldn't notice if Tarzan came roaring down the left flank with his army of giraffes in acres of space. No sir. This is "getting your head down" personified. If a had a pound for everytime I've been cursing the telly going "pass the :censored: thing you :censored:! (insert any LFC player here) is in acres!!!!", only for him to get his head down so low his nose is in physical contact with the ball and proceed to run into the oppositions dug out, I'd be a very rich man. Very rich.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby MCYan » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:12 pm

i am pretty sure Baros will go before the season starts, if not in January next year. Rafa does not like him (I dont know why) and wants Cisse/Crouch instead..
MCYan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:32 pm

From the Echo

Echo..

Rafa Benitez has informed Milan Baros that he no longer has a future at Anfield but the Czech striker's agent, Pavel Paska, is awaiting talks with Benitez before committing his client to a move.

Paska said talks are expected to take place within "the next ten days" but it is unlikely they will result in Baros being given a reprieve and allowed to stay at Liverpool.

Bye-bye Baros
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:36 pm

LFC #1 wrote:
The Canadian Red Army wrote:Isnt Zaragoza in the champions league, why wouldnt he want to go there?

No, they finished 12th.

Teams qualified from Spain are:

Automatic places: Barca and Real Madrid
3rd Qualifying round: Villareal and Betis.

thx for the input LFC, their is still a month left of the offseason. I wouldnt run the gun and say we wont find any offers, if we put a price on him. A side should come out, and try to put is head back on straight.
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:00 pm

Its ok Rafa getting shut of Baros so long as he has a better replacement lined up. Im not sure there is one for the kinda money we seem prepared to spend.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:53 pm

Its ok Rafa getting shut of Baros so long as he has a better replacement lined up. Im not sure there is one for the kinda money we seem prepared to spend.

we don't need ANOTHER striker......Cisse, Morientes, Crouch, Ping pong, Mellor and le tallac
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:04 am

I had read that Pardew is interested to bring Baros to West Ham and saying that he is "quality".

Only two stumbling blocks - whether West Ham can match our asking price and if so, if Baros wants to go there.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:08 am

Benithez is showing that he is his own man and will not cave-into making decisions by the Liverpool board (if the story about Owen wanting to return is true and that some Liverpool board members were in favour of this move) and he is ruthlessly single-minded in his belief to do things his way to rebuild Liverpool.

It looks like Barod and Dudek will be offloaded soon.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:44 pm

Looks like we're going to swap Baros for Deportivo's defender.
ANFIELD MOVE FOR JORGE WILL DEP-END ON BAROS
Daily Mirror 22 July 2005
LIVERPOOL are looking to offload Milan Baros to Spain, despite protests from the striker that he does not want to leave.
The Anfield club are keen to tie up a deal with La Liga outfit Deportivo La Coruna after an inquiry about the Czech Republic international.

And Liverpool could even attempt to persuade the Spanish side to do a swap deal involving defender Jorge Andrade, who has impressed Rafa Benitez.

The Anfield boss still wants to sign Gabriel Milito from Real Zaragoza, but talks have broken down with the Spanish club after accusations of an illegal approach from Liverpool.

Zaragoza are still demanding £12million and that is a fee Liverpool refuse to pay - even though they know the centre-half wants to move to England.

Because of the hostility between the two clubs, though, Benitez may have to look elsewhere and he is keen on Portugal international Andrade.

Deportivo have tracked Baros for some time and are contemplating a £5m bid. Liverpool would offer Baros and a further £1m for Andrade.

But they could have problems persuading the Czech striker to leave. Last night he insisted that he wants to stay and fight for his place.

Benitez said this week that he would sell Baros if the right bid came in.

But the forward countered: "It is not a pleasant situation but I am still a Liverpool player. I am working hard and trying to persuade the coach I deserve my place in the team.

"We will sit together and talk about his intentions with me. If he says he does not need me then we will start solving the problem, but nothing is happening now and I am not letting it play on my mind."

Liverpool have already signed Peter Crouch, Jose Reina, Boudewijn Zenden, Momo Sissoko, Mark Gonzalez and Antonio Barragan, with Benitez also looking for a centre-half and a right midfielder.Milito is still the top target, and Real Madrid winger Luis Figo could also be on his way in the next 48 hours, with the Portugal international promising a decision today.

Crouch, meanwhile, will miss the start of the season through suspension after being given a three-match ban when sent off while playing for Southampton.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion