Bad news everyone - Paisley denied honour

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby NiftyNeil » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:33 am

I don't agree with the honours system anyway. They give them out like sweets these days anyway. Who remembers Sean Connery whinging every year until he got one? (and he doesn't even want to be British).
If anyone deserved one, it was Bob. I signed the petition in honour of him, but I didn't believe in the cause. It is of no benefit to him 11 years after his death, and the people that mattered know special he was -sir or no sir.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:12 am

Would Bob have accepted a knighthood anyways? We know his political views differed from governmanet at the time, i dont think he would have taken it. He knows that that fans know exactly what he has done, and thats what really matters
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:47 am

Who gives a f*ck about whether the queen or a prime minister gave him some poxy initials?

He is the possibly the greatest manager in british football history and is a legend of football. He doesn't need "recognition" from some daft people who know F*** all about football.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PhiLFC » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:16 pm

So does this mean I can carry on calling him Uncle Bob... the man who never got angry, had all the answers AND all the respect... great stuff
PhiLFC

Postby XSD » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:38 pm

If Shakespeare, the greatest person in our countries history, doesn't have one there is no shame in Paisely missing out. After all, what do you need more than history, trophies/medals the club itself as a reminder of what he and Shankly achieved.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:52 pm

XSD wrote:If Shakespeare, the greatest person in our countries history, doesn't have one there is no shame in Paisely missing out. After all, what do you need more than history, trophies/medals the club itself as a reminder of what he and Shankly achieved.

Saw that film he made, shakespeare in love. rubbish director.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:23 pm

Such descretions and oversights require redress, and perhaps it is time that the something is introduced to recognise such situations.

Such decisions can be politically motivated at the time or simply be that no-one in goevrnment supported the team, so why give it :D but seriously, if nothing else the 'powers that be' should now look at an award that rightly honours the contribution on an individual whose record to this day remains intact, as the most successful manager of all time.

Honours such as these, whilst they can be mocked when not received/awarded, do however provide a degree of recognition of the achievements on behalf of the nation and not just by supporters, call me a snob but I for one think Sir Bob Paisley and Sir Bill Shankly would sound just so grand, and further drum home their important contributions.

As it is, of course the absence of such honours do not distract from the marvellous achievements of these individuals..

RIP both - for us there are no greater SIRS in the world...  :)
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby joko » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:45 pm

we still can call him sir bob paisley, anyway :cool:

btw, nice sig there zara :)
ImageImage Image
joko
LFC Super Member

Postby murphy0151 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:09 pm

I couldnt give a flying f u ck about these knight hoods.  I diditn even sign the thing, casue im not arsed.

All the people who need to know hes a knight allready do.   

Fu ck Tony Blurt and all them royal fuc ke rs.
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby RedRoots » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:31 pm

I understand fully why they don't give ut posthumous knighthoods, maybe some of the people who are being mentioned for one wouldn't have wanted the "sir" tag, so in a way it would be wrong and disrespectful to somebody's memory to stick a "sir" to somebody's name who perhaps never wanted it in the first place.
RedRoots

Postby RedBlood » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:36 pm

i dont care if he doesnt get knighted because i know how good he was and so do all liverpool supporters and thats all that matters
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby XSD » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:37 pm

zarababe wrote:Such descretions and oversights require redress, and perhaps it is time that the something is introduced to recognise such situations.

Are you serious?
There is no possible way to look back through the lives of every person in this countries history.
anyone who died in a war when this country had its back to the wall deserves honours much more than any football manager, so how many knighthoods would we have to go through.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:17 am

We've given people posthumous pardons to clear their name and honour them.

I see no reason why the same can't be done with Knighthoods.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu.Murph » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:51 am

Who really cares? Sir Bob will always be Sir Bob as will Sir Bill and Sir Joe. :)

The three of them are legends and we'll always remember them for helping to make this club what it is regardless of weather or not they have a recognised title. :bowdown
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:06 am

Bitter barcode. That list of names that deserved honours does not make the decision any more acceptable. They hand them out like confetti these days, this is just a pathetic lack of flexibility as shown by a great many idiots in authority.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion