Back to basics

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Penguins » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:53 pm

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:on a seperate point, I dont think things are so bad.

Sunderland at home - played amazing in the first half, look knackered in the 2nd - DRAW
Arsenal away - played well all game. WON
Bolton at home - Best performance for some time - WON
Stoke Away - just couldnt put the ball in the net, great posssion and use of the ball, silly mistake meant - DEFEAT
Spurs Away - worse start to a game I have seen for some time compounded by 2 sendings off - DEFEAT

Spurs was terrible, but it is the only game where we have been awful.  5 games in with a very new team which is still finding its feet.

But great then. Let's continue at that pace with 7 pts every 5 games as it is obviously excellent...
We got 1 pts vs Stoke and Sunderland scoring 1 goal which is just abysmal. But I am sure the history books will say that we did have so and so many shots or that 1 half was excellent.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby mart » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:10 pm

stmichael wrote:I still can't remember us starting a game so poorly for a long time which is the strangest thing. It was almost as if we just forgot all the basics which made the difference during the latter part of last season. We didn't close Spurs down with eleven men, let alone ten or nine. I know Spearing isn't the most gifted technical footballer but he's excellent at pressing the ball and needs to be used more, especially away from home. Him and Lucas formed an excellent partnership in the second half of last season, allowing our attacking players (Kuyt, Suarez and Maxi) to flourish.

We didnt really build upon last season, as we switched out our entire midfield apart from Lucas. Maxi, Meireles and Kuyt were central to our good form last year. Now they are all out of the team in addition to Gerrard.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:13 pm

a lot of calls here for maxi and kuyt to be reintroduced back in to the team at the expense of adam and henderson which might serve a purpose in the short term.
the problem is that adam and henderson so far have struggled but imo were replacing average with potential over more average and thats were our problem lies in the fact that we still have too many average players in the team.
in maxi's case he has struggled under 3 managers now to hold a starting place and dont forget for 90% of last season he was anonymous.yeah he finished the season strongly with a few goals but that still hasnt been enough for dalglish to include him in the 1st 11 this year.
we all know what we will get from kuyt,110% work rate but thats pretty much it.offers nothing on the rw other than tracking back and does not suit pass and move football as he hasnt the pace in his legs or his brain for that matter.yes he is a good squad player to have as a back up striker but thats pretty much it imo.if he had of played against spurs he wouldnt have made much difference as bale and walker would have stripped him also.
both of these will probably start in the cup against brighton and you would have us as a cert to win and we most likely will but i seriously doubt either of these will single handedly rip brighton apart.
both henderson and adam do deserve to be benched till they up their game but i doubt either of these will keep them out of the team for long.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion