Back to basics

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby metalhead » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:06 pm

burjennio wrote:
metalhead wrote:Err... Hoof is a pass :wwww  :laugh:

a pass is a controlled movement of the football from one team mate to the other MH. A hoof is what happens when you punt the ball as hard as you can in the direction of a red shirt and a pony tail and hope for the best!

I was being sarcastic mate :laugh:
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:12 pm

Ciggy wrote:Where to start? The whole set up yesterday was wrong from the minute the team sheet came out.  Kenny & Clarke are responsible for that debacle make no mistake about it.

From playing Skrtel RB against Bale not starting kuyt to give Skrtel some protection on the right and not bringing Kuyt on when Adam got sent off.

Good post for a girl.   :rasp

Agree all, well said.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:25 pm

Agree with getting back to basics.

We really need our midfield to be mobile and aggressive. We had a good run last season when spearing and lucas were anchoring our midfield. Maybe its time we put them both in ?

By putting these 2 in central midfield, we need wingers who can then create chances and chip in with their fair share of goals. bingo..bellamy & downing. So with spearing and lucas destroying the opposition midfield with their defensive work, bellamy and downing will be the main creative forces for our strike force...which they are pretty competant in.

Now for our strike-force... Kuyt and suraez looked pretty good last season with their intelligent movements. And Kuyt does put in his shift whenever he plays. We have to go back to this.

With spearing and lucas harassing the midfield and kuyt doing his spoiler role closer to the opposition penalty box, it will make it hard for the other team to control the game. Then bang....suarez, bellamy, downing will have loads of space to create havoc.

This looks good in theory...but not sure how it will pan out in the actual game...

But one thing we cannot do is to keep playing henderson, adams and caroll in the same team when they are not really up to the mark (at this moment). There is just no balance in the team when we accomodate these players (at this moment). 

Team to play until gerrard is fit

Reina
       Kelly     Carra     Agger     Enrique
                  Lucas   Spearing
     Bellamy                              Downing
                          Suarez
                           Kuyt

The thing is by playing this team...we are admitting that caroll,henderson & adams are not good enough for our team at this moment. Will comoli like that ? Will the owners like it when we bench most of our new signings ?

Like most of you in this forum, I couldn't understand why we paid so much for henderson when he looked very average throughout his career. I initially thought adams would be a squad player so didn't really have any problem with his transfer (as i thought meriless will be the 1st choice). Downing was the transfer i was most happy with followed by enrique.

Anyway, moving on, i really think with henderson, caroll and adams on the bench and moulding them slowly into the team will be the best for all the interested parties involved.  Coates should also be keeping carra out of the team by the end of this season.

Rant over.....
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:37 pm

BTW...how good will be this team ?

Reina
   Johnson   Coates   Agger   Enrique
                         Lucas
     Gerrard         Aqua             Downing
                       Meireles
                       Suarez
This midfield will run rings around all the teams apart from barca.

I said it in the sunderland thread...we really shouldn't let Aqua & Meireles go.........

Ah well....
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:38 pm

kuyt never gets the praise he deserves and it games like yesterday which makes you realise just what he brings to the table. he's never been the prettiest but at the very least he'll put a shift in and work for the team whether he plays on the wing or upfront. against spurs i didn't see our wide players working back to help our fullbacks at all. i don't blame skrtel for being ripped to shreds. at the end of the day he's not a fullback and he's not quick either. for the first goal bale had nobody within ten yards of him and was able to just cross the ball under no pressure whatsoever. when modric scored all you saw was downing pointing saying why didn't anyone close him down?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Penguins » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:44 pm

The_Rock wrote:Agree with getting back to basics.

We really need our midfield to be mobile and aggressive. We had a good run last season when spearing and lucas were anchoring our midfield. Maybe its time we put them both in ?

By putting these 2 in central midfield, we need wingers who can then create chances and chip in with their fair share of goals. bingo..bellamy & downing. So with spearing and lucas destroying the opposition midfield with their defensive work, bellamy and downing will be the main creative forces for our strike force...which they are pretty competant in.

Now for our strike-force... Kuyt and suraez looked pretty good last season with their intelligent movements. And Kuyt does put in his shift whenever he plays. We have to go back to this.

With spearing and lucas harassing the midfield and kuyt doing his spoiler role closer to the opposition penalty box, it will make it hard for the other team to control the game. Then bang....suarez, bellamy, downing will have loads of space to create havoc.

This looks good in theory...but not sure how it will pan out in the actual game...

But one thing we cannot do is to keep playing henderson, adams and caroll in the same team when they are not really up to the mark (at this moment). There is just no balance in the team when we accomodate these players (at this moment). 

Reina
                  Lucas   Spearing
                          Suarez
                           Kuyt

The thing is by playing this team...we are admitting that caroll,henderson & adams are not good enough for our team at this moment. Will comoli like that ? Will the owners like it when we bench most of our new signings ?

Like most of you in this forum, I couldn't understand why we paid so much for henderson when he looked very average throughout his career. I initially thought adams would be a squad player so didn't really have any problem with his transfer (as i thought meriless will be the 1st choice). Downing was the transfer i was most happy with followed by enrique.

Anyway, moving on, i really think with henderson, caroll and adams on the bench and moulding them slowly into the team will be the best for all the interested parties involved.  Coates should also be keeping carra out of the team by the end of this season.

Rant over.....

I agree but like that is ever going to happen.
Admitting we just :censored: away 60 million and gave away Meireles and Aquliani for nothing...

If there ever was a clearer message by Kenny than that.
Adam and Henderson are going to be my main cm so I don't need those other 2.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:45 pm

Call me sentimental but I don't think Carragher deserves the pasting some have given him in this thread, having a go at him for the 4th goal ! for f'ucks sake who cares, we were down to 9 men and well beaten by then.

Yeah he's past his best, he's not the quickest and he hoofs stuff, he also reads the game better than most and would f'ucking die for us !  Was it his fault he had Skrtel at RB, a once again FRAGILE Agger alongside him and a non existent central midfield (Lucas & Adam) in front of him ?

Sorry Cig, think you're out of order to throw the sink at Carra, but do agree with much of the other stuff you've said.

Adam, looked good for Blackpool, now that the spotlight is on him looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights

Henderson, one for the future perhaps ? just don't understand why he's getting so much game time now

Carrol,  I said six months ago he "looked like a lump, we may as well plant a lamp post up front and bounce balls off it" , my opinion hasn't changed.

Finally, admittedly one of our more talented players BUT am I the only one that thinks Suarez needs to shut the f'uck up, and instead of falling down at every opportunity instead tries to stand up and get on with it ?

Car crash of a performance from the team as a whole, we were never in it. Could continue to moan about individual players they were sh'ite, but ultimately the blame rests at the managers door.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:54 pm

Penguins wrote:
The_Rock wrote:Agree with getting back to basics.

Reina
                  Lucas   Spearing
                          Suarez
                           Kuyt

Rant over.....

I agree but like that is ever going to happen.
Admitting we just :censored: away 60 million and gave away Meireles and Aquliani for nothing...

If there ever was a clearer message by Kenny than that.
Adam and Henderson are going to be my main cm so I don't need those other 2.

Aquilani is on loan.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:02 pm

how the hell did we "give mereiles away for nothing"?

the guy wasn't willing to stay and fight for his place and we ultimately sold an unhappy player for more than we brought him for.

people keep banging on about how he'd improve our central midfield despite the fact that dalglish never played him there last season anyway.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby zarababe » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:37 pm

Our owner says " Aqua" is the missing link.... and we loan him out .. can we call in the loan ?

We need some  creativity
Last edited by zarababe on Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:40 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Carrol,  I said six months ago he "looked like a lump, we may as well plant a lamp post up front and bounce balls off it" , my opinion hasn't changed.

Tad unfair, the lamp post always returned the ball accurately and looked good in a footy kit. :laugh:
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:04 pm

Pathetic refereeing aside I hope KK doesnt believe that spurs won because they were outstanding. Thy were good, well drilled and efficient. But we were that bad that we make them look better that they are
I say this because I would like him to watch the video and realise that he picked the wrong team. Only then will he be able to get things right, because if he doesnt realise his mistake he will make it again. He needs to be brutally honest about the performances of every single player and look at their weaknesses as well as their strengths. Then he should look at last seasons games where we played well and actually looked like a team. He should pick the players who were involved in that spell and gradually bring in the ones who werent, This will hopefully get us back to the form we enjoyed at the end of last season instead of what weve got now
Thommo's perm

Postby aCe' » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:34 pm

Unfortunately, our problems this season are pretty much our own doing. The transfers for me were the biggest problem and aside from Enrique and Suarez (30mill or so combined) we wasted around 90mill on players who are either not good enough or arent suited to our style of play. From day1 when we were linked to all of Carroll, Adam and Henderson, their shortcomings were pretty obvious to everyone who had ever seen them play and it was always going to be difficult for Kenny to get them to up their games enough for it to be acceptable for a club of our size. We got the whole established in the PL nonsense from some and others went on about how Henderson is the next Beckham or how we did better than ManUtd in the market but it was all obviously nonsense.
To make matters worse, we sold our best player last season (imo) to potential rivals and sent our most creative midfielder out on loan for no obvious reason.

Heres the gist of things, our problems began before a ball was kicked with all the wrong transfers from Kenny. It was always going to be absolutely vital for the future of the club that we get the transfers right when we spend big, and unfortunately we didnt. A couple of weeks ago, it became pretty much clear to me that we were back to being a one man team with Suarez being relied on to be the creative force as well as score the goals. Its not promising regardless of his form that we'd look as such given the spending on revamping the squad.

Solutions? Unfortunately, we've left ourselves a little exposed in the middle by gambling the way we did on Adam and Henderson doing the business. Neither is anywhere near the quality required for a top side (although Adam could prove a decent buy if his role is modified) an they both need to be dropped as soon as possible. Leaves us with a bit of a gap in the middle if they are both absent but if Gerrard is back and stays clear of injuries then we might have a fighting chance of getting that 4th spot. I think we need to get Spearing in the starting 11 at least until Jan to stabilize the  defensive side of things, and start using Downing on the left flank where he is most effective while bringing Kuyt back to the right flank where he's always been effective at least in terms of goals. I also feel strongly about giving Maxi more game time than hes had so far. I think hes done very well in recent times when given the chance, and it must be disappointing for players like him and Meireles finding their opportunities limited because inferior players who offer much less are preferred by the manager.

Kenny needs to stop being so stubborn about his selections if not tactics. Because atm, things arent looking good for the side and I expect things to get worse before they get better. Gerrard's return will give the side a boost but in Jan we'll need to try and rectify our mistakes in the transfer market by bringing in a dominant CM and a creative attacking player.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:58 pm

I cant believe that KK would buy players who he didnt think were good enough to play for LFC
At the minute things arent working but I dont think its because the players are sh'ite. If what some are saying, that KK has wasted tens of millions on duds and players with no quality, then it must be logical to conclude that KK is a clueless idiot who has spent foolishly and has ended any hopes of a CL place.
Five games in and were already fu'cked.
I think not
Thommo's perm

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:14 pm

Thommo's perm wrote:I cant believe that KK would buy players who he didnt think were good enough to play for LFC
At the minute things arent working but I dont think its because the players are sh'ite. If what some are saying, that KK has wasted tens of millions on duds and players with no quality, then it must be logical to conclude that KK is a clueless idiot who has spent foolishly and has ended any hopes of a CL place.
Five games in and were already fu'cked.
I think not

Exactly!

There are so many contenders for village idiot on this forum nowadays.

How many seasons have we seen Liverpool start badly but recover to finish strongly. I'm starting to feel a name and sham thread coming on to hold members up to account for fickle, knee-jerk and purely idiotic comments.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion