Babel and torres - Potential strike partnership

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sean » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:40 pm

Apart from his goal against Derby, I've been very disappointed with Ryan Babel this season.  After spending 11 million I was expecting a wing wizard but the evidence suggested Benitez had bought a dud.  In fairness to his admirers on this forum, they noted previously that centre forward was his best position and compared him to Henry who started his career on the wing.

After watching his contribution on Tuesday night they may be right.  The difference between Babel's performance last night to what he has delivered so far this season was amazing.  He simply looked comfortable playing through the middle whereas he seems confused on the wing.

In Rooney and Tevez United have a formidable strike force that I envy, but I reckon Torres and Babel could match and better them if given the opportunity.  Their pace alone would frighten the lives out of defenders.  How about this for a team.......

Goalkeeper: Reina
Defenders: Finnan, Agger, Carragher, Riise
Midfield: Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, Kewell
Forwards: Babel, Torres

........and yep, thats right folks, Gerrard on the right of midfield.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:45 pm

Dont liek these team things but I would try Arbeloa RB and defo have Aurelio LB but other then that, I would agree.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:46 pm

I'd prefer if Babel were treated like Agger when he joined us. I know he cost a lot of money but I'd prefer him to be gradually introduced before being pushed into more of a first team regular. It was the making of Agger and made sure he was ready to take his chance when he got it instead of being thrust into it along with all the hype about being the new big signing and all the unrealistic expectation.

I agree about his position though. He's a striker not a winger.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:46 pm

It's worth a shot, for sure.

But...

Until we have someone who can play on the left wing and make it their own (Kewell, if he ever manages to steer clear of injuries), I feel Babel will continue to "take one for the team", so to speak.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:53 pm

This is the problem of having such a big, talented squad.

The team you have posted is a great team, but you could also include Aurellio, Arbeloa, Yossi, and Crouch and you would have a possible Premiership winning team.

Poor rafa, its tough.. no wonder he rotates  :D
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby weringo » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:42 pm

Babel clearly isn't a left winger, Rafa must see that. The only reason he's getting played there is because we honestly have no one else there when Kewell isn't fit (so basically all the time).

We haven't see Babel and Torres up front so far I believe, but if and when we do I agree it will be very interesting.
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby Yessicajax » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:19 pm

Babel can play as a left winger.maybe they should give it a try!
-x-
Image Image Image
A.F.C.A ..... As Finishing touch...God created the Dutch!
Yessicajax

Postby maguskwt » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:34 pm

Yessicajax wrote:Babel can play as a left winger.maybe they should give it a try!
-x-

funny...

anyway I agreed with the OP... rafa should definitely try a babel torres partnership and give them a run of games... if they're comfortable with one another... it can potential be a very formidable partnership... come on rafa... just do it...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Yessicajax » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:04 pm

ok maybe its funny. But it is ashame babel isnt playing much..cause he kicks :censored:!! :D
Image Image Image
A.F.C.A ..... As Finishing touch...God created the Dutch!
Yessicajax

Postby skatesy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:48 pm

I would rather see Benayoun on the right and Gerrard in the middle.
skatesy

Postby EddieC » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:50 pm

I think Torres & Babel could work well in theory against certain opposition, but in practice it probably wouldn't be so successful. If it were to work it would be against teams like Reading, Boro or Wigan (Paul Jewell era) as they are teams that aren't the greatest but still have a go. They defend with a high line which gives pacey players an area to run into, and in these circumstances a Torres/Babel partnership should work beautifully. However if a team sits back then having two pacey strikers won't work so well, you need someone like Crouch who encourages the defence to play higher up the pitch to counter his threat.

The danger is that teams like Reading who do defend with a high line will just sit back the second they see two pacey players on the teamsheet, IMO it's better to have two contrasting players which makes it a lot harder to defend against.
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LittleHobo » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:00 pm

id like to see it

however i cant see rafa ever having this as his first choice partnership...he likes his workhorse forwards too much

thats why crouch is down the pecking order
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:05 pm

did anyone else notice, babels backheel goal was almost exactly the same as Cheyrous first goal for us... now im scared :D
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:26 pm

EddieC wrote:I think Torres & Babel could work well in theory against certain opposition, but in practice it probably wouldn't be so successful. If it were to work it would be against teams like Reading, Boro or Wigan (Paul Jewell era) as they are teams that aren't the greatest but still have a go. They defend with a high line which gives pacey players an area to run into, and in these circumstances a Torres/Babel partnership should work beautifully. However if a team sits back then having two pacey strikers won't work so well, you need someone like Crouch who encourages the defence to play higher up the pitch to counter his threat.

The danger is that teams like Reading who do defend with a high line will just sit back the second they see two pacey players on the teamsheet, IMO it's better to have two contrasting players which makes it a lot harder to defend against.

Interesting point, mate, and I think there might be something to this.  Of course, everybody said that Rooney and Tevez were too similar to form an effective partnership and look how they've been getting on of late, so never say never.  For now, I'd like to see Torres and Crouch get matches together and see what kind of understanding they form.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:30 pm

Bad Bob wrote: Of course, everybody said that Rooney and Tevez were too similar to form an effective partnership and look how they've been getting on of late, so never say never.

Early days, and one just got injured  :cool:
LFC2007

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion