Argentine on trial

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:31 pm

From Sky Sports

Skysports.com can confirm that Liverpool have handed a trial to Argentine starlet Juan Antonio.

The 17-year-old striker has been recommended to Rafa Benitez's right hand man Paco Herrera - and he has now set up a trial for the youngster,

Antonio is yet to make his first team debut for his club side - Second Division outfit Comision de Actividades Infantiles (CIA).

However, Antonio was called up to the Argentina Under-17 squad earlier this season and he impressed a number of scouts.

He underwent trials at Internazionale recently, but he failed to get an offer from the Nerazzurri and he is now going to try his luck on Merseyside.

"I have a very good relationship with Paco Herrera so I have sent some videos of the player to him and he has told about this player to Benitez so this week he will be travelling for a trial at Liverpool," said Antonio's agent Jorge Oliva.

"They want to see him personally in action before sealing the agreement and that's why I can't talk about the amount of money that will be paid for this transfer".

The youngster is waiting for the green light so he can set off and make the trip to Anfield.

"I am waiting for getting the confirmation about when I will travel," said the excited youngster.

"I have a huge expectation but I am also calm.

"Everyone that knows me in the neighbourhood is happy, in the same way as when I was called to the Under-17 national team.

"Besides that we didn't have a good performance in Venezuela and couldn't qualify to the next World Cup, but it was a good experience for me.

"Now I expect to have some luck in England and to have the chance to play at Liverpool."

One youngster already at Anfield is Josh Mimms - 15-year-old son of former Blackburn shot-stopper Bobby.

Mimms, also a goalkeeper, played in Liverpool's Under-18s' last game of the season on Monday.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:51 pm

A.B. wrote:One youngster already at Anfield is Josh Mimms - 15-year-old son of former Blackburn shot-stopper Bobby.
Mimms, also a goalkeeper, played in Liverpool's Under-18s' last game of the season on Monday.

bobby also played for everton, in fact i`m sure he was in goal for them in the first all merseyside f.a cup final in 86.
he wasnt a bad keeper in his younger days, hope his lad does well at the club.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:04 pm

sounds promising
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:54 pm

yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:bobby also played for everton, in fact i`m sure he was in goal for them in the first all merseyside f.a cup final in 86.

Correct, Mimms was a young 22 year old back then.  Southall had a broken leg.

Still put three past him.  :D   My favourite EVER game as a Liverpool fan that final is.
jonnymac1979

Postby The Ace1983 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:08 pm

This is something that I really enjoy watching Rafa do. He invests. So far we've seen Carson, Hobbs (is that for certain?), Barragan, Gonzales and also Nunez come in to the club, at a low cost. These are players being chased by the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Ure, Real Madrid and Barcelona which can surely only mean good things. Ok, so Nunez was a bit of a fumble, but if he stays he may still come good, but Carson has made up for this by looking very solid indeed, if a bit nieve (but for a keeper he's very very young). If this Juan Antonio guy joins up, then given this regimes record with Carson and Nunez, it could mean that we have two good and two "not so good" players in a couple of years time. Sissoko is also a fairly young buy, but he has had regular first team action at Valencia (but often it was only regular due to injury, but I'm told that he equitted himself well).

Ok, Houllier may have tried this and, as he did in many other ways, failed miserably with bringing in hot young talent. But I believe that the Benitez regime will be different and that has to be good.

VIVA LOS RAFA-LUTION!!! VIVA LOS SANGRE ROJOS NUEVO!!!
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Houllier=LFC » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:33 pm

We should try our best to bring Argentine youth Messi here, hes a future gem without a doubt.
Houllier=LFC

Postby El Nino_#9 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:44 pm

barca won't sell him.
your living in a dream world if you think they'll let him go!
his ment to be the next maradona!
although some comparisons are not accurate such as houllier saying-
-diao's the next viera,
-diouf's the next pele,
-cheyrou's the next zidane!
:laugh:
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1093441336 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:46 pm

Houllier=LFC wrote:We should try our best to bring Argentine youth Messi here, hes a future gem without a doubt.

:wwww

next you'll be suggesting we swap Iniesta for baros
109-1093441336

Postby A.B. » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:58 pm

barca won't sell him.
your living in a dream world if you think they'll let him go!
his ment to be the next maradona!

Every Argentine that has tallent is "The Next Maradona" just like every Brazilian is "The Next Pele".

Messi is impressive but he's gone a long way to go before he comes to anything close to the next Maradona.
Last edited by A.B. on Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion