Are we missing hamann?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Red Indian » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:08 pm

I don't think he would have got many games and therefore would have requested a move in Jan or at the end of the anyway. Besides in our excellent run of wins last season i don't think Hamann was involved in many was he?  People are just clutching at straws for our indifferent start to the season
Red Indian

Postby Kash_Mountain » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:58 pm

We do miss Didi but thats bound to happen.  He was quality and reliable every time.  New players will come in and will just need to adapt to the EPL.  When they do,it will all click into place.  Momo is  a key player and doing a good job.

Don't worry Ciggy we'll be alright.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:09 pm

Are we missing Didi ? Two words (and five sylablles) why we are not:

Momo Sissoko

The lad has been awesome, and will prove that the midfielder enforcer rols that Didi played so well at times can be adapted to include attacking forays, its just that its new to the back four right now, but they will learn.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:03 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:Are we missing Didi ? Two words (and five sylablles) why we are not:

Momo Sissoko

The lad has been awesome, and will prove that the midfielder enforcer rols that Didi played so well at times can be adapted to include attacking forays, its just that its new to the back four right now, but they will learn.

You'll get no argument from me Leon when praising up Sissoko that's for sure. He is the most destructive ball-winning midfielder in the Premiership in my opinion and is distinct from the others who do a similar job in that he does it higher up the pitch.
He is threatening to add some attacking and goalscoring menace to his considerable other attributes and if he does, he could become one of the most important players in the league in any position. I really feel with Momo it is just a question of belief. Once he's scored a couple of goals then he'll be off and running.
My one point in which I would differ from yourself is that I don't think he is a similar player to Hamman really. Didi looked to sit in front of the back four and rely on his experience and positional sense to win the ball, whereas Sissoko is much more of an every blade of grass merchant. He is happy to press way beyond the half-way line and rely on his monumental stamina and athleticism to compensate should the opposition pass it around him.
Probably the reason why I fear we may have been premature in getting rid of Didi is that I think it is Zenden rather than Sissoko that fills the Hamman sized hole in our squad. Without seeking to revisit my thoughts on the Dutchman too much, I feel that Hamman would have been a better bet in games such as the one last night.
Last edited by bigmick on Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:04 pm

Having re-read the original post, properly this time, I notice you did make the distinction yourself between the two Leon. Sorry fella :D
Last edited by bigmick on Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:06 pm

I also do not think we miss him that much. Sissoko offers  all the same qualities as Hamann offered, except he doesn't score. Defensively I feel Sissoko is solid and going forward he has shown confidence.

The problem I feel lies with too much rotation.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pedro O'Maradona » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:10 pm

I miss didi......he would have been the king again last night!
Pedro O'Maradona

Postby andypool2285 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:11 pm

didi didi didi didi didi  hamann?
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

andypool2285

Postby coddy » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:44 pm

Ciggy wrote:Are we missing Hamaan?

Simply, No.
YNWA Drummerphil RIP

Immortalised by his own Legend. God Speed.

End Transmission.....
coddy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sepak » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:16 pm

Our central midfield is undoubtly the strongest area of the team because we have :
Gerrard - the best midfielder in England.
Alonso - the best passer in the world
Sissoko - potentially the best tackler and ball winner in England
Zenden - Criticised by some of our fan because they tend to compare him with the above 3 midfielders.

How can we miss Hamann ? What we are worrying now is which one of these 3 excellent central midfielders has to sit on bench? or should we let Gerrard play out of his best position again ?

Actually I miss Biscan. :)
Last edited by sepak on Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sepak

Postby taff » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:21 pm

Of course we miss him and whilst Momo has huge potential he hasnt the big game experience of Hamman, but it was time for him to go and time for Momo to go up a notch
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:53 am

bigmick wrote:Probably the reason why I fear we may have been premature in getting rid of Didi is that I think it is Zenden rather than Sissoko that fills the Hamman sized hole in our squad. Without seeking to revisit my thoughts on the Dutchman too much, I feel that Hamman would have been a better bet in games such as the one last night.

This is what I meant but BM puts it better.
Hamann is better as a holding midfielder and protecting the back 4 better than Zenden.
I would have Didi over Zenden anyday of the week.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:05 am

Ciggy wrote:
bigmick wrote:Probably the reason why I fear we may have been premature in getting rid of Didi is that I think it is Zenden rather than Sissoko that fills the Hamman sized hole in our squad. Without seeking to revisit my thoughts on the Dutchman too much, I feel that Hamman would have been a better bet in games such as the one last night.

This is what I meant but BM puts it better.
Hamann is better as a holding midfielder and protecting the back 4 better than Zenden.
I would have Didi over Zenden anyday of the week.

That is the only puzzling thing Benitez has done all summer, selling Hamman and keeping Zenden.   ???
66-1112520797

Postby stmichael » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:50 pm

to be honest, alonso's been superb in didi's role for the past two years. if i'm not mistaken, alonso had the second highest tackle count in the premiership last season. he's also got the added bonus of being able to start a lot of our moves from that deep lying position.

i think people are bringing this subject up because alonso has once again had a pretty slow start to the season. in our games so far there's been too big a gap between the midfield and the back four a lot of the time.

we were linked with zapater from real madrid last season who was a player very much in the hamann mould. be interesting to see if we renew our interest in him in the future.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby EddieC » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:00 pm

Why would we miss Didi when we've got Diao?
:D
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion