Are we better without momo

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Rush Job » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:28 am

When Momo got injured i thought we would miss him, considering we hadnt won away and we were leaking goals it didnt look good.
But Gerrard moved into the middle and up until Blackburn ( not that we played that bad ) it seemed normal service had resumed, we started scoring frequently and conceding non, so does are best midfield not include him or should we consider playing five.
One things for sure when he`s next to Alonso we get badly out numbered upfront and never have anyone around the edge of the box to capitalise on a mistake or a cut back because they sit so deep.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby alxy » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:30 am

I wouldn't say we are better without Momo. More like it's given Stevie G a chance to play in his best position at CM. When Momo comes back, I hope Rafa does not push Stevie back to RM again. When we have a player as good as Stevie is, we should build the team around his best strengths, and not fit him in to where we have a gap.
alxy

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:02 am

I think we are better off without Momo for some games. Mainly because we have more goal threat without him against weak/poor teams. When we play the more physical teams/better teams, thats when we need Momo breaking up things in midfield. We have certainly looked more creative and seemed to play at a faster pace without him, but we have also looked vulnerable without him at times.

Hopefully Rafa will either find a way to play all 3 (Xabi/Gerrard/Momo) or will pick the games when we will need Momo.
account deleted by request

Postby 83-1165214211 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:39 pm

Simple.

Some games will require Kewell, Alonso, Gerrard, Pennant. Others will require Kewell, Alonso, Sissoko, Gerrard. Its just finding which games suit which.

I actually think that against the better teams Pennant would be the better option as Gerrard in the middle would raise his game more and can give everything Sissoko gives and more when he plays in the middle.

Against the lesser sides the less time they have on the ball will make them uncomfortable in midfield and Sissoko would be the better option. Pennant and Sissoko have similar ability levels so there isn't a great deal of difference.
83-1165214211

Postby Sabre » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:02 pm

Some games will require Kewell, Alonso, Gerrard, Pennant. Others will require Kewell, Alonso, Sissoko, Gerrard. Its just finding which games suit which.

I quite agree this. In this sense we're missing Momo because he gives us options. After the departure of Hamman every injury in that zone of the pitch is important. Momo's absence though, has proved a point: Gerrard and Alonso are perfectly compatible in the middle of the park.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:22 pm

Sabre wrote:

I quite agree this. In this sense we're missing Momo because he gives us options. After the departure of Hamman every injury in that zone of the pitch is important. Momo's absence though, has proved a point: Gerrard and Alonso are perfectly compatible in the middle of the park.

Who against though Sabre? Low/poor teams is all we have beaten this season (both with and without Momo) The question is really one of against which teams should we play Momo and which should we play Gerrard (central). My theory is that against the better teams they have players that given time on the ball will hurt us (so play Momo), whilst against weaker teams its more about our ability to hurt them (so play Gerrard central)

I understand stu's point and given our poor record against the top sides when Momo has played, its hard to argue against his view. I would be more willing to accept stu's arguement if Pennant was producing a bit more, and until he does or his replacement does, I feel Gerrard is our best option on the right with Momo in the centre.

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:31 pm

Who against though Sabre? Low/poor teams is all we have beaten this season

I know my name isnt Sabre, but since Momo's injury we've only played "low/poor" teams. And we've lost to the bigger guns when Gerrard was out wide. I'm not trying to point anything out really but I will say and have said for a long time that Gerrard and Alonso seem perfectly compatable in theory of playing well and to devastating effect in the middle of the park together. As for the low poor team thing, why dont we wait and see with our up and coming fixtures what the pair can produce.
66-1112520797

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:37 pm

I thought Arsenal where we lost 3-0 without Sissoko was a big team Bamanga man?

Postby peterc1992 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:37 pm

no were not
emlyn hughes:"liverpool are magic,everton are tragic"
peterc1992
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:45 pm

s@int wrote:I thought Arsenal where we lost 3-0 without Sissoko was a big team Bamanga man?

Correct Saint you are, but I could just easily say that Chelsea, ManUre, Everton and Bolton were all lost when he was out wide. But I'm not  :D  at the end of the day those two alone (Alonso & Gerrard) arent gonna lose you games and win you games 99% of the time on their own, we musnt forget its upto eleven players on the pitch noy just one or two. So if you've pointed out, which I think you have that we lost to Arsenal because Gerrard was in the middle then I'd have to say you are well and truly wrong mate.
66-1112520797

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:53 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
s@int wrote:I thought Arsenal where we lost 3-0 without Sissoko was a big team Bamanga man?

Correct Saint you are, but I could just easily say that Chelsea, ManUre, Everton and Bolton were all lost when he was out wide. But I'm not  :D  at the end of the day those two alone (Alonso & Gerrard) arent gonna lose you games and win you games 99% of the time on their own, we musnt forget its upto eleven players on the pitch noy just one or two. So if you've pointed out, which I think you have that we lost to Arsenal because Gerrard was in the middle then I'd have to say you are well and truly wrong mate.

No mate I was just trying to make the point that we have lost ALL our big games this season both with and without Momo. I don't think our problems begin and end with where Gerrard plays or whether Momo even plays. Just that in my opinion until we get an adequate right winger or Pennant shapes up Liverpool are stronger with Momo than without, but that strength comes at a cost. ie less fluid football and less goal threat.

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:39 pm

I don't think it's a fair question if you're factoring in our performances at the beginning of the season.

Bottom line is that Gerrard was really poor for a couple of months, and it's only now that he's been hitting form. That's not Momo's fault, or Rafa's for playing him out wide. He just took an age to get going this season. Alonso also took an age to get moving. In September, he was actually one of our worst players.

If all of our midfield had been firing from the start, it'd be a moot point. We were great last season at times with Stevie out wide and Alonso and Momo in the middle. We've been great at times over the last month or so without Momo, using Alonso and Stevie in the middle. I think - when everyone's on form - our midfield 3 are so good that we can use any combination of them. Shame we didn't really see that when everyone was fit.

I think it's unfair and inaccurate to imply that we're better without Sissoko. He looked like the only midfielder worth a game at the beginning of the season. We're definitely a better squad with his fit and available for selection, put it that way.  :p
ivor_the_injun

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion