Anyone else still depressed as ******?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:29 am

I guess if you want to put any positive spin on the changes is that I'm just f in glad 09/10 is over as that was painful, but I'm not THAT optimistic next season will be much better. The opening two games for starters, a manager with questionable credentials and fans at each others throats. Plus Rafa's six years of defensive (mindset) football seems to have brainwashed some fans into that mindset which worries me, not that fans being thrilled about spending £17.5m on a full back that can't defend exactly sat well either :no

Although some things never change, like the views on certain players who shall remain nameless
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:53 am

bavlondon wrote:Now I know we all had a smile on our faces at seeing Fernando lifting the world cup wearing  a Liverpool scarf but now that feeling has subsided and I can't help but feel depressed again. We are skint, have a :censored: manager and are no closer to being sold yet with our best 2 players yet to properly commit themselves.

I know I should be saying lets give Roy a chance but sorry if I don't feel that way. I couldn't see the scum, Arsenal, Chelsea or even City giving him a job. Probably not even the bitters!! Anyway for me his is still not good enough for LFC and I can't help but feel this is the start of some dark times for us... the only possible way out is if we are sold this year but at the moment that seems a long way off.

Anyone else feel the same? We have gone from beating Real Madrid in the CL and being linked with the likes of David Villa to qualifying for the Europa league and being linked with James :censored: Beattie.

This sucks  :angry:

Hear Hear Bav, I feel exactly the same way mate and good on you for being honest.
the fact that those running the club have taken away every bit of confidence and trust away from the fans the blame lays firmly at their door.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:55 am

Bad Bob wrote:I've actually found this thread refreshing reading apart from the opening post, which had me reaching for the razor blades (sorry Bav :D ).  A lot people are feeling refreshed by the managerial change and are looking forward to the new season as the turning of a new page for the club.  I'm firmly in that camp as well.  I think Roy will surprise and impress many who were less than fulsome in their enthusiasm when he was appointed.  Roll on Arsenal. :nod

It's a good thread and fair play to Bav for posting his current stance so openly. I must admit that I initially wanted Lippi, then Capello and then Kenny but I'm quite happy to have Roy in place now. Of course, we haven't played a match yet but he seems intelligent, calm and knows the game inside out. And he deserves and needs our support.

I think, though, that the managerial situation remains a side-show and the ownership disaster is probably the biggest reason for Bav's downbeat feelings. Roy may get some of our individuals playing at the correct level and may galvanise us as a team again, but if we continue with zero or negative net spends year on year we will continue to slip towards mid-table obscurity. There is no doubt about it. We just have to hope that someone who still has serious money in this global credit crunch decides they want to buy our club.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:41 am

i never thought i'd say it but i'm footballed out. this has been one of the worst 12 months i can remember. even the world cup left me feeling deflated to an extent. i'm not surprised though. i said it would be a long summer of us hearing our best players being linked away 24/7 and that's been the case. we're then expected to feel "excited" about the new season. i expect to see the sky adverts hyping up their "product" as "the best league in the world" over the next week or so. this despite the fact that the average supporter is falling out of love with the game more and more by the day, especially when you see city throwing money around like confetti and players such as joe cole throwing a strop because "he feels he's worth more than £80,000 a week".

on the new manager, to me although it was a massively important appointment, to me it was in some ways irrelevant considering that the club is completely f#cked off the pitch at the moment. now that roy is here he has my 100% support although i can just hear some of the fans calling for his head if we struggle in the first 6 games which is highly possible. that's the modern day football supporter i'm afraid.

"roy hodgson, i know it's early but..." :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ben Patrick » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:35 am

I was depressed as anything until we changed manager.

I am now far more upbeat.
Still worried about key players going and who we can afford to bring in, but i am in a far more positive frame of mind now we have a different manager with new ideas coming in.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby stmichael » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:45 am

Ben Patrick wrote:I was depressed as anything until we changed manager.

Still worried about key players going and who we can afford to bring in, but i am in a far more positive frame of mind now we have a different manager with new ideas coming in.

You say new ideas but I'm not really expecting much to change on that front. If anything, I think Hodgson was brought in for his man management skills. He's not really a tactician as far as I can see. He's more of an organiser who can also inspire players to perform above themselves, ie: Zamora, Duff, Murphy etc.

The most disappointing thing for me is that the board (who couldn't run a pi$$ up in a brewery) have made an appointment that is clearly not looking at the long term future of the club.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:57 am

stmichael wrote:

You say new ideas but I'm not really expecting much to change on that front. If anything, I think Hodgson was brought in for his man management skills. He's not really a tactician as far as I can see. He's more of an organiser who can also inspire players to perform above themselves, ie: Zamora, Duff, Murphy etc.

The most disappointing thing for me is that the board (who couldn't run a pi$$ up in a brewery) have made an appointment that is clearly not looking at the long term future of the club.

How can you say he's "not a tactician" Mike, he's one of the most respected technical coaches in World football. Swinging generalisations like this aren't going to lift either your mood or anyone elses, and I woud urge you to take a couple of hours out and look through the internet. You'll find numerous quotes and testimonies from  major players in World football extolling the virtues of Roy as a tactican. He's been extremely innovative too, and has been prepared to try different things, things which have proved ahead of their time.

The biggest unknown with the manager isn't whether or not he's tactically astute (because like I say if you read up you'll soon realise that he is), it's whether he can manage the step up from Fulham to Liverpool at this stage of his career. Some think he will, some think he won't, but he won't fail for lack of tactical acumen that's for sure. I'm also intrigued that people could see us lose 19 matches last season and finish seventh, and then worry whether the new man will be able to match the tactical prowess of his predecessor.

I don't even agree that the board have made an appointment which won't help the long term future of the club. The club needs a steadying influence, somebody who can maximise the resources at his disposal. It needs somebody who can work under difficult circumstances, can handle the inevitable knocks and sales, and can still come out on top. Long term there will be new owners, but as of now the club needs sorting out from top to bottom. Yes a new owner may bring in his own man in a few years, but until then the job is to maintain a modicum of stability and common sense at the club. It's definately in the clubs long term interest IMHO to appoint a safe pair of hands. Roy fits the bill.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:07 pm

You say you want a Royvelution,
Well, you know
We all want to change the world...
:cool:
Thommo's perm

Postby maguskwt » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:12 pm

bigmick wrote:Roy fits the bill.

I hope so big Mick... I hope he is whatever you say he is. He can as easily turn out to be like Mclaren managing England...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:13 pm

stmichael wrote:

Well, a new idea for me would be playing players on form rather than some stat about whether they are fitter than someone else.
Not persisting with systems that are not working or playing one up front if that person is David Ngog.

That'll do for starters  :D
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:20 pm

maguskwt wrote:
bigmick wrote:Roy fits the bill.

I hope so big Mick... I hope he is whatever you say he is. He can as easily turn out to be like Mclaren managing England...

Another cheap speech impediment "joke" is it?
:glare:
Thommo's perm

Postby stmichael » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:25 pm

bigmick wrote:I don't even agree that the board have made an appointment which won't help the long term future of the club. The club needs a steadying influence, somebody who can maximise the resources at his disposal. It needs somebody who can work under difficult circumstances, can handle the inevitable knocks and sales, and can still come out on top. Long term there will be new owners, but as of now the club needs sorting out from top to bottom. Yes a new owner may bring in his own man in a few years, but until then the job is to maintain a modicum of stability and common sense at the club. It's definately in the clubs long term interest IMHO to appoint a safe pair of hands. Roy fits the bill.

listen, i think he's the right man for the current circumstances as you say. the club needs to be stabilised and i'm sure he'll do that. it's just frustrating that we can't really look more than one year ahead as we don't know what'll be happening with regards to the ownership of the club in that time.

i don't see evidence of the bloke sticking around too long in any job anyway. i know he's only been sacked once (blackburn) but he's had 14 jobs in the last 20 years.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby tubby » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:28 pm

As for "one of the most respected technical coaches in World football" I think that's going a bit too far. Ok they had a few good results last season but for the most part they play ugly counter attacking football. He has been around so long so naturally people are going to say he has a lot of experience and is respected ect...
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:38 pm

bavlondon wrote:As for "one of the most respected technical coaches in World football" I think that's going a bit too far. Ok they had a few good results last season but for the most part they play ugly counter attacking football. He has been around so long so naturally people are going to say he has a lot of experience and is respected ect...

No Bav, really I mean it. It's not just me saying it, Hodgson is credited with being one of the pioneers of the modern zonal marking system for instance. Not my opinion, it's accepted as fact amongst coaches throughout the world. He's currently into this "basketball style" defence, maybe our own basketball bloke on here can shed some light on it because without actually watching closely, I've no idea what it is all about.

He's seamlessly changed formations throughout his career, check out the stuff he did with squads of players at International level, how he changed Finland around from game to game and almost qualified them for their first major tournament in years.

My first choice once Mourinho had signed with Madrid, was Martin O Neill. I wanted him precisely because he keeps it simple, doesn't get too bogged down in tactics etc. People like me who have had enough technicalities, options and possibilities, the tiny details etc etc etc etc to last a lifetime aren't exactly getting what we want with Hodgson believe me.

Anybody who expects us to play a straight 4-4-2 every week, for Roy to pick the same team every week with the same system, is in for a BIG shock, you mark my words. He isn't that type of manager, he is EXTREMELY tactically aware, arguably even too much. My one worry with Roy apart form the obvious step up, is that he gets too embroiled in the technicalities and forgets that if we are playing Wigan at Home, the best bet is just to swarm all over them and smack their erse.

It's one of many urban myths about Hodgson on here. I love the technical side of football when appropriate, but believe me this fella is a professor and definately not a mug by any stretch.
Last edited by bigmick on Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Johnny Boy » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:43 pm

I didn't enjoy the world cup as I was a bit fed up of football after last season. Must admit I missed a few home games last year, for various reasons (at least it makes my season ticket cheaper)...but whilst not excited for the forthcoming season that could change if we get some new players in.

At the moment I am praying I log on each day to see if we have signed someone or are about to.

Slightly depressed therefore, but 3 or 4 new players could change that.
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion