Another perspective on houllier

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby sgs » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:19 pm

Most criticisms of GH inevitably center around what is adjudged to be poor decisions in the signing of players, most notably Diouf, Diao, Hesky, etc. I would like to disagree strongly with this view!
GH is the only top manager I know with the unique ability to leave players worse than he met them.
Take the much maligned Diouf: the man was a success at the world cup, and made a healthy living from holding up play and bringing others in- but never as a prolific scorer. Salif Diao was a tower in central midfield, and alongside Papa Dioup came within minutes of a semi final finish!
Heck, even Heskey was better in Liecester than the player he is today....The same goes for Berger, Babbel, Cheyrou and Smicer. Anyone who saw Pongolle and Tellec before now will tell you they are not growing right. A man like Arsene Wenger will make marvels of them!
And from watching Kewell so far this season, I doubt if GH can ever truly bring the best out of him
Floyd stepped left and threw the hook that caught Hatton flush under the chin. Finally, the British champ had arrived in that mythical place of which his fans speak: Hatton Wonderland.
sgs

Postby azriahmad » Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:21 am

Sga, U mentioned Berger...look at him now. He was a good player at Dortmund, slightly injury prone, then came to Liverpool during Evans' reign and became very injury prone and never impressed at all under Houllier. Last summer, Liverpool gave him a free transfer to Pompey and now he is rejuvinated and is scoring as well as making goals.
Where has it all gone wrong foa Berger at Liverpool...must be the Houllier factor.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jimbolfc04 » Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:49 pm

agree with you about diao, heskey and cheyrou, but kewell has been one of the only things to be positive at anfield these days.
jimbolfc04

Postby mistyred » Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:18 pm

See the thing is that know matter who houllier buys there will always be a matter for concern.Point is the man has NO tactical knowledge and is prone to beleiveing his own BS,the players he buys are mearly average at best but can only do what is bestowed upon them in many of there cases is nothing much.I strongly belive when players return things will be alright for a couple of games at least long enough for those bloody(EVERYTHINGS ROSEY IN THE GARDEN)supporters!!,in the long run GH will make as may excuses as the board purmit him to make to keep his job.....
All aboard the bus GH next stop france.
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:03 pm

I think that Danny Murphy, Sammi Hyppia and Stephane Henchoz aside, very few players have improved under Houllier.

People may point to Michael Owen and Steven Gerrard as well, but I honestly believe that the are still not at the level they are capable of, and I'd shudder to think what Alex Ferguson would have done with them.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion