Anfield revolution gathers pace as benítez targets - They're under starters orders.....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Tue May 22, 2007 12:53 am

Tuesday's ' The Times'

Anfield revolution gathers pace as Benítez targets Eto’o

By tomorrow evening, Liverpool could be celebrating a second Champions League triumph in three seasons, but whatever his players achieve against AC Milan in the Olympic Stadium, Rafael Benítez has promised that a hectic summer of transfer activity lies ahead. A wind of change is blowing through Anfield as the new regime takes shape.

George Gillett Jr and Tom Hicks, the Liverpool co-chair-men, have promised BenÍtez significant funds to buy the players he needs for his team to reproduce their European form on the domestic front. Hicks talked yesterday of “changes” ahead, with the inference that these will encompass all areas of the club, with fresh ideas sought in the boardroom, the dressing-room and the youth academy.

Three signings are already in place – Andriy Voronin, the Bayer Leverkusen forward, plus Lucas Leiva and Sebastián Leto, two highly rated youngsters from South America – and more will follow, with Samuel Eto’o, the Barcelona forward, the mouth-watering name at the top of BenÍtez’s shopping list.

Luring Eto’o to England may yet prove beyond Liverpool and Manchester United, but it is an illustration of the calibre of player that BenÍtez has in mind, with Carlos Tévez, the West Ham United forward, Daniel Alves, the Seville wing back, and Morten Gamst Peder-sen, the Blackburn Rovers winger, also in his thoughts.

“I know we can improve and we will do that by bringing in new players with character, quality and experience,” Ben-Ítez said. “I think we are going in the right direction, but this final is just a stopping point on the way. The aim is not just to win this trophy. It is to get stronger and challenge in the Premier League next season.

“It is important not to think that, by getting to the final, we have done everything. We have the potential to be one of the biggest clubs in Europe in every way. The owners have now been at the club for a few months and can see what’s possible here. Every time I have spoken to them it has been positive and we will be talking again after the final.”

With high-class reinforcements sought in just about every position, only about a dozen of the squad that flew to Athens yesterday morning can be certain of being in BenÍtez’s plans for next season. Jerzy Dudek and Robbie Fowler, who are out of contract, are the only confirmed departures so far – along with Florent Sinama Pongolle, who will join Recreativo Huelva on a permanent basis after a successful loan – but Peter Crouch, Craig Bellamy, Sami Hyypia, Harry Kewell and Mark González have reason to fear for their Anfield futures. Djibril Cissé and Anthony Le Tallec, having spent this season on loan, are clearly surplus to requirements.

“I know we will make changes,” Hicks said. “I think Rafa will be a very busy man after Wednesday. We’ve already started that process and next year we want to contend for the Premiership as well as the Champions League. Rafa has told me the types of improvement he feels we need to compete week in and week out. That’s the challenge.”

Liverpool’s potential will be strengthened when Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard sign improved four-year contracts after the final, with new deals also in the pipeline for José Manuel Reina, Steve Finnan, Daniel Agger and Xabi Alonso. There will also be changes in the running of the youth academy after the retirement of Steve Heighway, the academy director, and the scouting department.

:buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hunterz » Tue May 22, 2007 4:59 pm

Nice to see the future of Liverpool to be so promising..Its time Liverpool finally wakes up and bring back the glory days of the 80s!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:
hunterz

Postby Sabre » Tue May 22, 2007 5:09 pm

I don't think Kewell has to fear about his future in Anfield.

He's not my favourite winger, mostly because of his decissions in the pitch, not his undoubtful quality, but I can't see Rafa wanting to get rid of him. I don't see him neither as a key player, but definitely somebody I'd keep.

Kewell is a star in his country, but IMHO in the pitch some of his decissions are not spot on. Kind of, there's sometimes that you haven't to use your dribling quality but to pass back a ball, and that kind of decissions. There are better players than him in the Spanish liga, and not only in big clubs, but I'd definitely would keep him.

It wouldn't make much sense Pako saying we lacked depth this season, and then getting rid the whole left wing. Reinforcements will come but I can't see a major exodus neither.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Elchris » Tue May 22, 2007 7:14 pm

yeap it would be mad if we have a major exodus... then we'll be needing time to gel together
the fans are running out of patients..nex season we'll need to be genuine title contenders..!!
Our current team are not bad at all...we are just struggling to score...we need a top class striker and a winger..!!!
A creative midfield who can unlock defence and theard in thru ball is also needed in my opinion. and a defender to cope if sammi decides to leave. Either way i could see 4-5 top players coming in....
Elchris

Postby redtrader74 » Tue May 22, 2007 7:26 pm

Lots of Shit in press and radio, we are not going to buy lots of immediate first teamers, that would undo all of Rafas work and put us back another 12 months.

We all know that Robbie, jerzy, fsp are gone, bolo, sami, likely, letallec, cisse please someone take them!  I believe the message is that Rafa will be allowed to buy a top player or two,that are his first choice.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Tue May 22, 2007 9:00 pm

I believe that we'll see only about two new first team regulars signed this summer the rest I feel will be adding quality to the squad.
A new 'prolific' striker and a winger (either side), Kewell would be like a new signing if he could stay fit and he has shown a small cameo in his two appearances recently of the old HK of his Leeds days. Rafa certainly seems to rate Kewell and should he choose to hold onto him it will keep the continuity in the squad. However if HK continues to get injured we could face another season of chopping and changing down the left again. Thats upto Rafa and why he makes the big bucks.

Interestingly reading the various different takes on this story today the main core of the group of players leaving is the same but one or two variations have been made. The one that sort of stood out me was Crouch again being linked with a move away. I still see him as being one of Rafa's preferred players as he does bring in a different dimension to our play.

Whatever happens tmorrow and this summer, it's gonna be exciting.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed May 23, 2007 1:29 am

The more i see/hear from Tom Hicks the more i like him. Very likeable, has bent his back to say all the right things, he clearly understands the history and tradition of the club and he has put in a lot of PR to try and make an impression with the fans.. Was impressed with him on the interview on ITV tonight plus see that he has already been to more games than the Glazers. A lot of posters on here have got excited (me included) about the amount of investment our new owners will bring while some thought the idea of signing the likes of E'to or Villa were little more than a pipe dream. It sounds to me like the owners have complete faith in Rafa Benitez and are willing to do whatever it takes to put LFC back on top of the pile.

Very Very Exciting times ahead  :buttrock
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Wed May 23, 2007 2:17 am

George and Tom - in depth interview on future plans 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media...._bb.asx
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Wed May 23, 2007 2:29 am

Manhattan is waiting to hear Hicks and Gillette try to pronounce the names of the guys we are interested in signing.

china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Wed May 23, 2007 2:30 am

As much as it would be nice to sign Eto'o or Villa, do we really want them? I think its been proven time and again that those players that top the Spanish and Italian league don't always perform. In particular the strikers and wingers, that the English game is tough to adapt to considering the style of defending used against them... Where we sign our next superstars? I don't know... Dutch, French or German come to mind, Ribery or Podolski might want to leave soon... maybe we can help...
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Wed May 23, 2007 2:32 am

We should sign "Samuel E.T."

He's a player from Cameroon who's finger lights up when he touches your forehead.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed May 23, 2007 9:39 am

Disagree entirely with the suggestion of signing Eto'o....too much of a prima donna, and likely to throw his toys out of the pram at the first thing he disagrees with.....nope, not my cup of tea at all, and i imaging Rafa wouldn't be keen either
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby puroresu » Wed May 23, 2007 9:43 am

Eto is going nowhere

Samuel Eto'o has rubbished the idea that he will leave Barcelona for the Premiership in the summer.

The Cameroon striker has been linked with an end-of-season switch to England following three years at Camp Nou.

UEFA Champions League finalists Liverpool, and Premiership champions Manchester United, have both been mooted as fans of the prolific hit-man.

Though Eto'o was open-minded about playing in England later in his career, the 26-year-old confirmed he will be a Barcelona player next season.

"I have not heard anything," said Eto'o at an event run by the www.feelfootball.com debate website with regard to the rumours.

"These kind of things are usually just speculation and don't come through to me.

"I am happy at Barcelona and will definitely be here next season.

"I have no idea where I will be in a few years' time, but at the moment I have a contract with Barcelona until 2010.

"There have been so many lies written about me. In fact, I would say that 99.999 per cent of the things I have ready about myself in the papers have been untrue."

Eto'o also confirmed he has no quarrel with Frank Rijkaard after his row with the Barca coach earlier in the campaign.

He added: "Like I said, I am happy here. There is no problem, no crisis.

"The press can write what they want, but I am staying."
puroresu

Postby Emerald Red » Wed May 23, 2007 11:33 am

A player like Eto'o coming here would be a big mistake. Just because he's a big name, doesn't mean he'll just stride on in there and do the job required. Like many people have said, his attitude and ego would cause problems. Why spend mega bucks on one player, only for him to bi*tch and demand, plus his wages would be disgraceful. I don't want us turning into a commercial club like Manure or Chelsea, and to be honest, I'd rather see us find another Fowler, Rush, Barns etc etc local and without major cost. It doesn't matter if we don't sign a big name player, so long as we get the right players to fit into our ethos and way of playing. The ego's can stay well clear as far as I'm concerened. Man U or Stinkovich can take 'em.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Wed May 23, 2007 12:41 pm

Eto is a quality player and I would love him at Anfield.  Its not going to happen but considering the club signed Bellamy I dont see how Eto would be worse. At Barca his been dropped before, his been moved around and I dont see him causing too many problems.
puroresu

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion