And now for something positive...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stapo1000 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:03 pm

I'm sick of all the pessimists writing us off after 1 poor performance so here's some positives we can take from today's game.
Reason's why we should not be so worried:
1. Rafa now has the squad he will be using for at least the next 4 months so he is just trying things out.
2. Kewell, Nunez and Cisse were not starting so we had a slightly depleted first team.
3. The Spannish players were all good. Luis Garcia and Josemi were my Man of the match.
4. Dudek had a hand in each of the 3 league goals we've conceded and will be dropped when kirkland is back.
5. The passing was not that bad. We played some good crossfield balls at times.
6. Our defence was good even when Traore came on. Risse, Josemi and, especially Carra were solid in defence.

So don't worry everyone, it's only the 3rd day of the season. there's a long way to go!

Walk on...
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby madred » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:09 pm

I suppose another thing is that Stevie by his own standards was poor and i cant imagine him putting in 2 bad performances in the same week ever again. I was well impressed by Garcia and think his touch and skill was excellent at times.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mynameisred » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:11 pm

Agree with everthing but point 6, we def need to strengthen at centre back. I know he was playing a lower standard at the Olympics but I quite like the look of Collochini or whatever his name is. If we can bring in an experienced striker as well all will be good. Even better if we do well in champs league he can strengthen at xmas too. You missed off the list Warnock, he will give Kewell the kick up the ****** he needs and could even play there for England.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:13 pm

Tottally agree with ya stapo garcia alonso an joseme are pure class and dont forget we still have nunez to come in things will get better and i can see us playing some beautyfull football :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby madred » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:15 pm

Good point about needing a centre back because the goal was sloppy that we conceded and the likes of a Campbell, Woodgate etc probably would have had that cross in row z. Sami going off wasnt very reassuring to me at all.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrLiverpool » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:17 pm

stapo1000 wrote:

The Spannish players were all good. Luis Garcia and Josemi were my Man of the match.

good point that and Alonso did well playing with Gerrard so that means that we can look forword to a strong midfield partnership...

The passing was not that bad. We played some good crossfield balls at times

WHAT?  ???  ... what about the times we gave the ball away because of needless long balls?

Our defence was good even when Traore came on. Risse, Josemi and, especially Carra were solid in defence.

???  Traore is s--t and doesnt deserve to be in the Liverpool reserves never mind the first team... I dont know why Benitez doesnt sell him to Everton and he was s--t the whole game...
He gets himself into situations he doesnt need to be in... he doesnt header the ball away...he lets the striker flick on balls... basically he is s--t...
Riise did good,Carra was great as usual and Josemi wasnt that bad and he is just getting used to the premiership...
*I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong*
DrLiverpool
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:43 pm

I did like the look of Garcia, his touch and skill looks very impressive, Josemi is going to be player of the year if he plays like he has the past few games :cool:

I did think out passing was poor, too many long balls and we need to keep the ball, I was gutted for Sami cos his nose looked fooked, I just don't feel safe with Traore in defence :(

I think things will get better as we have lost a lot of players and also brought a lot in, give it about 2 months and we'll start to see the really Liverpool cos at time we play some great football :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby vlady16.1 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:49 pm

though a loss the team shows potential -- for the first time they played the spaniards didn't look lost, but i havee several questions/issues
1   why play traore -- he falls down looks totally lost -- plays awfull
2    why not henchoz -- he can't be worse that jt
3     baros looked lost as a lone striker -- why wasn't cisse brought in earlier?
4     long balls -nuff said
5    why take off warnock -- he was excellent

bolton isn't a bad team too but by oct all will be ok
vlady16.1

Postby A.B. » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:56 pm

3rd game of the season
1 win,1 draw,1 loss=not all that bad imagine if we had two losses? Give it a couple of more games and we will be good once again.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby L-type » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:32 pm

Yeah also liverpool dominated the possesion, the stats were somewhere around 58% and 42%
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:58 pm

We kept giving the ball away, that was the only problem. They defended quite well, but we still made some promising moves, however half the time we just gave the ball away. This will be improved on and we will become a formidable team especially in midfield.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:12 am

It's a shame we didn't tie up all the Spanish signings before we got to the third game of the league season - it would've been good to try and find some kind of cohesion in some of our warm-up games. Potentially, we're now looking at 2 or 3 matches before Rafa knows exactly how he's going to play his best 11.
ivor_the_injun

Postby DrLiverpool » Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:23 am

good thing is that next game is west brom and its at home and its in two weeks... :)
*I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong*
DrLiverpool
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:06 am

Positive Posts.... keep it up folks.. that sounds more like it.. Revolutions yield positive results and outcomes in time.... We have a great leader and good troops :)
Last edited by zarababe on Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:20 am

stapo1000 wrote:1. Rafa now has the squad he will be using for at least the next 4 months so he is just trying things out.
2. Kewell, Nunez and Cisse were not starting so we had a slightly depleted first team.
3. The Spannish players were all good. Luis Garcia and Josemi were my Man of the match.
4. Dudek had a hand in each of the 3 league goals we've conceded and will be dropped when kirkland is back.
5. The passing was not that bad. We played some good crossfield balls at times.
6. Our defence was good even when Traore came on. Risse, Josemi and, especially Carra were solid in defence.

So don't worry everyone, it's only the 3rd day of the season. there's a long way to go!

Walk on...

agreed except for 5 & 6

5. The passings were technically good, look at Garcia's and Alonsos' passing, very quality, felt like seeing two other Gerrards. It was only the ball acceptors that looked not being ready or the bit clumsy movement. It's only a matter of time before gaining the expected fluidity.

6. Traore is a total ******, things would be very different if Hyypia wasn't injured. Josemi and Carragher played okay.

it was a promising performance, Bolton played far above par.
Last edited by anfieldadorer on Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion