An open letter to sven and rafa - (like they're ever going to read this)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The Ace1983 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:39 pm

Dear Sven and Rafa,
      I am a Liverpool fan, and an England supporter and I write this short satement on behalf of millions.

Sven, please don't play Steven Gerrard against Uraguay on Wednesday. If you do play him, let it be for no more than 45 minutes. As a Liverpool fan, I know that he must be knackered and his love of LFC is probably all that is keeping him performing at his exceedingly high level. He has been playing on a regular basis since late July, often with two games a week and nobody, or rather no body, can take that sort of punishment. You may have no alliegence to Liverpool, but can you imagine the state he will be in come the World Cup. If he plays through that competition and England reach the latter stages, he will have played around 70 competative games in one year. That's 1.3 games a week which is like having one match a week lasting for 120 minutes. For England, give the lad a couple of days off.

And Rafa, buy a freakin' striker who know's what a goal looks like. It's time to buy big, something that I'm rarely in favour of because I don't want Liverpool to end up like Leeds. But that won't happen if you buy an established goal machine. Cisse and Morientes are just not good enough and we are relying too heavily on Midfield for goals which is asking for trouble. Everything else you've touched in the Liverpool side has turned to gold. A top-notch keeper, a midfield with all the right ingredients and a defence that Ebanezer Scrooge would be proud of. All that is left is someone who will bang in 20 a season and we're looking at silverware.

This may be all rubbish I suppose. Gerrard may well make it through the year unscathed and without matchsticks holding his eye-lids up (and if anyone can, it's our Stevie) and Morientes may bang in 15 in the next few games. But is it worth the risk?

Otherwise, fine. Keep up the good work,
Yours,
The Ace1983 (and anyone who agrees with me)
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:43 pm

Stevie has already stated he wants to play and it will be an honour playing for his country at Anfield......
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:11 am

drummerphil wrote:Stevie has already stated he wants to play and it will be an honour playing for his country at Anfield......

So? I want to eat 400 gallons of chocolate ice cream. Doesn't mean it's good for me.  :D
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:30 am

I think its gerrards choice if he wants to play for his country or not, dont be so selfish, its what he wants to do plus i dont think that if he plays in just this one extra match that its going to knacker him for the rest of the season...Its not going to make a great deal of difference to his fitness, missing 1 game in our huge schedule.
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby lakes10 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:33 am

my letter to Rafa is this......STOP PLAYING Morientes HE IS S***
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby happychappy » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:40 am

Im pretty sure Gerrard knows his own fitness levels and if he is anywhere near to a 'burnout'. This guy has so much love and compassion for his club i doubt he would put it all on the line knowing that he will not be 100% for the big games we have coming up. Obviously he aint gonna have too many opportunaties to play for England at Anfield, it must be like a dream come true for the guy, I say let him do what he wants im sure he'll make the right decision!!
"First is First and Second is Nowhere" The Legend Bill Shankley
happychappy

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:25 am

The Ace1983 wrote:
drummerphil wrote:Stevie has already stated he wants to play and it will be an honour playing for his country at Anfield......

So? I want to eat 400 gallons of chocolate ice cream. Doesn't mean it's good for me.  :D

Would you be sending a letter to Liverpool asking them not to play Gerrard if we had a mid-week fixture? Think not!

Gerrard isn't a cripple, not only is he capable of taking some part in the england game but its a friendly and no where near as intense as a league game would be.

Wake up
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby xd3vilx » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:00 pm

i think we should let Gerrard decide whether he want to play o not...personally...i feel proud respresenting my country...furthermore playing in Anfield...
xd3vilx
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:42 pm

Managers are paid to decide who plays.  None of us always knows what's best for us.  How many millions of people smoke, take drugs, overeat, under-exercise...  We know full well what we should do, but it doesn't mean we'll do it.

I believe there's nothing to be gained by playing Stevie with Fat Frank because we already know they can't play together.  Maybe Sven should play one each half and use Ledley King as a holding midfield player for the full 90 minutes.  I think that would be useful (as we only have three friendlies before the World Cup) and wouldn't be too strenuos for our caption.
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby Clay-Clay » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:01 pm

Ace1983 im with you, Stevie at some point needs a proper break.As much as i look up to King Rafa, i do think he relies on Stevie too much.It's time Rafa bought a striker that can not only score goals but also take some of the pressure off Stevie.As for Morientes i don't even want to comment he is a waste of f*cking space on the the team, he needs to go and Rafa needs to invest in a yong up and comer, im sure there's young stars in the youth squad.But my point is this Stevie cannot do everything by himself week after week at some point he's going to burn out, give the man a break he's only human, and if he wants to play for England than so be it, but he needs a proper break before the World Cup.
Clay-Clay

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:29 pm

I don't think there is much doubt that if Stevie G is fit he plays. I also note Ace1983's comments on the number of games played per week. I have played the game at a decent level and 1.3 games per week ain't that much. Not for someone as fit and enthusiastic as Stevie!!
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby H_K_LFC » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:56 pm

I think the only reason Gerrard wants to play so bad is because it is at Anfield.
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion