Alonso extends liverpool contract - News flash

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby lakes10 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:45 am

Alonso extends Liverpool contract 
Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso has signed a new deal with the club.
More to follow
bbc news

sorry for the another Alonso thread but with luck this will be the last one.
Last edited by lakes10 on Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:48 am

JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedorDead » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:48 am

I have just commented in one of the other Xabi threads about this......that's Gerrard, Carra, Reina and now Xabi signed up to new deals, good work by Rafa and the board I think, now it's time to get them some new team mates to play with.
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:50 am

RedorDead wrote:I have just commented in one of the other Xabi threads about this......that's Gerrard, Carra, Reina and now Xabi signed up to new deals, good work by Rafa and the board I think, now it's time to get them some new team mates to play with.

yes that what i was thinking, its good to see our big names staying but we need some new big names now.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:51 am

Just read that on the BBC meself, that can only be good news.
4 key players now tied to the club until 2012.
Hopefully that can put an end to the speculation.
People who are unhappy about the lack of transfer activity should take on board the fact that we have now made 4 major signings....the fact that they were already our players is irrelevant, contract negotiations take time and now they are done we can start looking forward to seeing some new faces come in. Things should start moving now i think.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:52 am

Alonso extends Liverpool contract 
Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso has signed a new deal with the club.
The 25-year-old Spaniard, who had been linked with a move away from Anfield, has put pen to paper on a contract that runs for five more years until 2012.

"I knew there was interest from other clubs but it was always my idea to stay here. It's a special club and I just didn't want to leave," said Alonso.

He is the fourth Red to sign a new deal after Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher and compatriot Pepe Reina.

"It's also good news to see that other players have signed new contracts this week," added Alonso.

"Stevie, Carra and Pepe are all big players for us and it's great they have all shown their commitment.

"I'm sure the manager will be bringing in new players as well and that the new owners will be making a big effort to improve the squad.

"We can achieve big things and hopefully we won't make the same mistakes newxt season as we did last season. We want to be challenging the top teams."
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:56 am

so now the next few threads are gonna be on sissoko.=) if he will join the Old Ladies or not.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Sabre » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:09 am

So, just when I was about to be convinced by other members that it would be a good idea to sell him, he signs a new contract? :D

The 25-year-old Spaniard, who had been linked with a move away from Anfield, has put pen to paper on a contract that runs for five more years until 2012.

"I knew there was interest from other clubs but it was always my idea to stay here. It's a special club and I just didn't want to leave," said Alonso.

He is the fourth Red to sign a new deal after Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher and compatriot Pepe Reina.

"It's also good news to see that other players have signed new contracts this week," added Alonso.

"Stevie, Carra and Pepe are all big players for us and it's great they have all shown their commitment.

"I'm sure the manager will be bringing in new players as well and that the new owners will be making a big effort to improve the squad.

"We can achieve big things and hopefully we won't make the same mistakes next season as we did last season. We want to be challenging the top teams."

The more top-quality players we have then the better the level of the team will be and I'm confident I can play a lot of minutes on the pitch

Xabi Alonso

Alonso, who signed for Liverpool in a £10.5m deal from Real Sociedad in August 2004, had been linked with a return to Spain and Barcelona.

Speculation also suggested a move to Juventus could be on the cards, particularly with his place in the team under threat following the January arrival of Javier Mascherano.

But Alonso is up for the challenge of battling the Argentine for a midfield role on Merseyside.

"It's great to have competition and I'm ready to fight for my place," he added.

"The more top-quality players we have then the better the level of the team will be and I'm confident I can play a lot of minutes on the pitch and keep the confidence of the manager."

After securing Alonso's services, the Champions League finalists will now turn their attentions to Steve Finnan and Mohamed Sissoko.

The pair are expected to sign five-year extensions over the weekend.

:)  Perfect. It's great that the likes of Gerrard, Carra, Alonso and Reina are signing up contracts and not lured by the call of other teams. It means that the team as a whole has the belief of achieving great things. Now the money must complete the squad.

Happy to read that Alonso doesn't fear competition, I expected no less from him. If he feared competition he wouldn't be worthy to play there.

Great news! :)

P.S. His fee has been more expensive than 10.5M pounds to be honest. LFC has been even paying this season money for Alonso, because they agreed to pay "bonus" fees when he reached 50 and 100 games, and depending on how far they reached in the CL. The Real fee has been about the 12.5M but well, the variants are due to his good performance.
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mungi » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:51 am

for all those who said alonso was gonna leave.... you were wrong:)
mungi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:54 am

Great news. Made my day.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redtrader74 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:59 am

Excellent news, shows we are heading in the right direction when our top players want to stay, they must know what the future plans are, and are encouraged enough to re-sign long term.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby Rush9 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:02 am

i am more than happy that XA saying .... but does that mean no one coming ?????
Rush9

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:12 am

Hopefully it means our transfer fund is bigger than we all thought and we can still get the players we need without selling any of our best players. It may even mean we have a buyer for Cisse :D
account deleted by request

Postby Well Red » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:14 am

so does this put paid to any chances of Zidane coming out of retirement to partner Stevie in midfield for one season? :(

:D fantastic news
THERE WILL BE LIFE AFTER TORRES:

Well Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:15 am

Rush9 wrote:i am more than happy that XA saying .... but does that mean no one coming ?????

No, it just means that Rafa has given a 5 year contract to one of the players we already have. I don't know up there, but here it means that the player is important in the team.

In the midfield Liverpool is really strong now!! Mascha and Alonso competing for the holding mid role, Gerrard in the middle with Leiva as cover... Luis Garcia can play in the left, in the right and as a second striker... and Sissoko can do his good specific destructive work in many league or Europe games. We have a wide range of quality players, each of which with their strenghts and some of them (Gerrard) who are strong in almost every aspect you can look at a footballer.

Now we need someone upfront that replaces Fowler and brings even more quality to the team, strengthen the wings, and bring a cover just in case Carra or Agger are injured, or Hyypia doesn't want to stay in the club playing less.

I think Liverpool is making a hell of a team.
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion