Alonso and gerrard combo - Can they play together

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 76-1115222408 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:36 am

matt74 wrote:i haven't seen sissoko at all, will rafa be able to play all three of them in the same team???

I think rafa will play him in the Didi role ALONG with Gerrard and Alonso, but only in the bigger games, especially those away from home, suc as Man u, Arsenal and Chelsea and any 'big' teams we play in Europe too.
Personally, I think becasue of Didi's age, thats why Sissoko was bought, as the successor to Didi's holding role.

But for some reason I got a feeling that we might see more of sissoko playing and Didi being the back-up....Just a thought!!!
76-1115222408

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:11 am

Sissys an attacking midfielder, though.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 76-1115222408 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:24 am

Yea i here that, but when i saw him play (once) this season, he was playing in the holding role, but yet was getting forward, hence rafa sayng he plays 'a high energy game'.
But as i say this was on one occasion i saw this, but i have to say he did impress and this was nearer the beginning of the season (before any talk of him coming to england etc;).
But as i said it was 'just a thought', that i also took into account rafa saying 'he will bring more balance' to the team, which for me is what happened when DIDI came on in the CL final.
Another 'thought' is, we may see a lot of 3-5-2 formations that revert into 4-4-2/5-3-2 (personnel depending) while we are defending.....Remember just a thought  :D
76-1115222408

Postby mighty mo » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:09 am

i think if we get figo we would have the best set of midfielders by far in the premiership and probably europe.and all  easily adaptable to any formation.
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 76-1115222408 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:15 am

An extremely good Midfield YES, the best in the Prem League NO !!!!!  Chelsea has The Best set of Midfielders (even after selling Parker).
76-1115222408

Postby Houllier=LFC » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:48 am

Gerrard can be aggressive and definitely has a powerful right leg.
Houllier=LFC

Postby Alonso_Rulz » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:27 am

rafa is transforming this current team to be a more tactical team.. and could adapt to different formation can only be a gd thing.. in the past, liverpool is called a one dimensional team, playing 4-4-2 all the time, with rafa, the formation could vary so much in a single match..

havin more different formation would make opponent more worry of us as they would not be confortable playing against us.
under rafa, how many different formation have we used before?
4-5-1,4-4-2,3-5-2, is that all?
moreover, the players we have are very versatile, can play in different position.. :p
Alonso_Rulz

Postby 76-1115222408 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:00 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:Sissys an attacking midfielder, though.

'I will run for every minute I am on the field and look to win as many tackles as I can. That's what my game is all about'

This again reaffirms (for me) that we will see him used as a defensive midfielder as opposed to an attacking one.

He says in the interview aswell that he used to play defense but Rafa moved him to midfield.

So (for now) i stand by the fact that i think we will see him used in the DIDI role in the 'bigger' games, along with SG and Xabi, in a 5 man midfield.
76-1115222408

Postby joependo » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:33 pm

I have to say Gerrard and Alonso do not make the best combination.But hav a brill friendship.In the next 2 to 3 years we will see them playing like rotwilers goin after every ball and not giving up.I have to say though Hamman holds the midfield together.Because he stays back helps defend and lets Gerrard have more time to attack.
joependo

Postby LFC #1 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:37 pm

LIVERPOOLANYTIME wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:Sissys an attacking midfielder, though.

'I will run for every minute I am on the field and look to win as many tackles as I can. That's what my game is all about'

This again reaffirms (for me) that we will see him used as a defensive midfielder as opposed to an attacking one.

He says in the interview aswell that he used to play defense but Rafa moved him to midfield.

So (for now) i stand by the fact that i think we will see him used in the DIDI role in the 'bigger' games, along with SG and Xabi, in a 5 man midfield.

Rafa said in the press conferecne that he runs everywhere and his strengths lie in breaking up play and winning the ball in the midfield, ala Didi. Rafa says he needs to work on hsi distribution though.

He is definitely a defensive minded midfielder.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ken_job » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:09 pm

i think last nights performance will have cleared up any doubt as to whether to the two can play together - they were nothing short of amazing. complimentary in their styles and will soon improve as they read eachothers games better. twice last night stevie made surges and alonso picked him out with the perfect pass. they already have a good inderstanding and free of injury the pair will be immense together this season.

alonso ... stevie ... a salute you both.
ken_job

Postby mighty mo » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:54 pm

now with viera gone ,this will just finally cement gerrard as the  king of centre midfielders of the premiership,and with alonso close by his side ,this will easily  be the the best partnership for years to come at home and abroad. :bowdown  :bowdown
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:01 pm

Now that we know that Gerrard isn't going to Chel$ki, why don't we bid for Lampard? That would :censored: off the "special" one. Now, when he says "special"...?

:D
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:20 pm

there has been a lot of debate on where momo sissoko plays.
i personally thought it was obvious where rafa intends to play momo, and that is in the defensive role.
hence why rafa compared momo to viera!
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion