Albert riera - deal agreed with espanyol

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The_Rock » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:21 pm

Redman in wales wrote:
bigmick wrote:Well I think he's garbage and will be a disasterous signing. I saw him a few times for Man City and thought he was a classic example of a foreign player who is totally unsuited to English football. If we sign him I think it will be a huge mistake.

in agreement. unfortunately.

:(

I am not a big fan of rafa.....but lets put it this way....... if it was Riera or no-one else ...then surely Riera is the way to go.....  :eyebrow

He looks pretty average with mancity....but that was some time ago. Hopefully he would have gotten better over the years.

I could be wrong but around the time he was at mancity (4 years ago)....ricardo quaresma was dropped by portugal for their european cup. David Silva was playing 2nd division football. So it kind of put stuff into perspective....

I am just sort of satisfied rafa has finally signed a winger. We need a winger to open up the opposition....and with the central midfield and strike force we are sporting....a decent winger can only enhance the team.... He is not my 1st choice....but whatever....we need a winger..and we have one.

Now if only rafa plays babel on the right flank....we should be able to stretch teams apart for gerrard, keane and torres to score loads of goals...
Last edited by The_Rock on Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:24 pm

Al bear t.   no? as in NOT sounding like the English "hurt"

the e is pronounced like when you say "I bet" but with an r.

Al-bert, the accent is in the latter part of the name
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:29 pm

We should have went for Diego Capel
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:36 pm

sorry but this guy is a waste of money. Rafa must have had something put into his drink to make do this deal.
Last edited by lakes10 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:43 pm

Give the lad a chance.... he's not even at Anfield yet.

Ok, so he's not quite the expensive world beater we were hoping for but at least he's a proper winger and didn't cost the earth. That has to be better than using converted forwards, fullbacks and central midfielders at left wing, right?

Like some have said, I'm not too hopeful due to his past track record but he is knocking on the door of a Spanish side that's won the recent Euros. Can't be that bad can he? The real question is can he adapt to the English game.....

Here's hoping..... welcome Alberrrrr and good luck.
ConnO'var

Postby GOAT_2.0 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:44 pm

Just desperation now, I suppose Rafa feels that we wont cope without bringing in someone on the left so he's had to go for the only available option at that sort of price
Image Image
GOAT_2.0

Postby Scottbot » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:50 pm

ConnO'var wrote:Give the lad a chance.... he's not even at Anfield yet.

It's a fair shout. I'm guilty of pretty much writing the guy off before he gets here but this feels like the Pennant deal where the manager wanted Alves but had to settle for less.

I don't usually make judgements on players early BUT his highlights reel doesn't inspire. You can make ANYONE look like a world-beater on youtube EXCEPT this guy so it doesn't fill me with confidence.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:53 pm

He was so desperate to come here, and refused to go to Everton forcing his club to take less money (not sure if that is true, but it was in one of the papers covering the story. All summer he was saying how desperate he was to play at Anfield for Benitez, that much alone should deserve the chance to get written off AFTER he had put in some less than spectacular performances.
JoeTerp

Postby Ciggy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:55 pm

JoeTerp wrote:Al bear t.   no? as in NOT sounding like the English "hurt"

Or in scouse its Albit or Albie :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:57 pm

Scottbot wrote:

It's a fair shout. I'm guilty of pretty much writing the guy off before he gets here but this feels like the Pennant deal where the manager wanted Alves but had to settle for less.

I don't usually make judgements on players early BUT his highlights reel doesn't inspire. You can make ANYONE look like a world-beater on youtube EXCEPT this guy so it doesn't fill me with confidence.

Yet another reason why we need to get the Yanks out and someone in that will come up with the money the manager needs so he wont have to settle for second or third choice signings!

Loads of people shi'tting on Rafa about this signing.Its not as if G and H offered him £50million to buy Kaka and Rafa said "No just give me £8m,Riera will do"!! :D

If its true what people are saying and he's just an average player its a waste of time signing him though.If he's no better than anything we have its just another uneccessary squad player!
Time will tell though,he may do OK!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:59 pm

According to the Spanish press, after all the haggle Liverpool has bought Riera for 9M€, that is 6.15M pounds.

If he's a dissapointment, it won't be a very expensive one.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:00 pm

Number 9 wrote:
Scottbot wrote:

Yet another reason why we need to get the Yanks out and someone in that will come up with the money the manager needs so he wont have to settle for second or third choice signings!

Loads of people shi'tting on Rafa about this signing.Its not as if G and H offered him £50million to buy Kaka and Rafa said "No just give me £8m,Riera will do"!! :D

If its true what people are saying and he's just an average player its a waste of time signing him though.If he's no better than anything we have its just another uneccessary squad player!
Time will tell though,he may do OK!

but there was 18 mil for barry wasnt there just the board were not ready to pay that amount for barry.  18 mil can get you a top quality winger.
puroresu

Postby Ciggy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:03 pm

Sabre wrote:According to the Spanish press, after all the haggle Liverpool has bought Riera for 9M€, that is 6.15M pounds.

Not bad then we will get that back from Ince when Pennant goes to Blackburn.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:10 pm

Sabre wrote:According to the Spanish press, after all the haggle Liverpool has bought Riera for 9M€, that is 6.15M pounds.

I'd be flabbergasted if that's true, he was linked with us on a few occasions earlier in the summer at a significantly higher price. I would have thought they'll be trying to claim he's the dogs b.*ll*c*ks and well worth a fee in the region of £15m, which is clearly peanuts for an English club.
LFC2007

Postby Number 9 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:14 pm

Ciggy wrote:

Not bad then we will get that back from Ince when Pennant goes to Blackburn.

Well if what Sabre and Ciggy say is true its an OK deal IMO!
Pennant was never really gonna get much of a look in this season anyway so we have got rid of someone surplus to requirement and got in a left sided player,cant be that bad unless he is REALLY cack! :D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion