Albert riera - deal agreed with espanyol

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Toffeehater » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:58 pm

Thats great news hope none of our players involved come back with injuries .

Arterta still has not been called up for spain right :D
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:23 am

s@int wrote:I think that's the main thing he has supplied so far mate ......BALANCE.

Bit late to the discussion but I was gonna post up the same thing. I've been very impressed with the player so far and i'm made up to be eating humble pie because I absolutely slated the player from the moment we were first linked to him in the summer. From what i've seen so far he's a real all-rounder and a proper footballer, he's not a project like Babel or another square peg in a round hole. He's fairly quick, he's a good passer, is pretty solid in the air, has quick feet in tight spaces, can cross a ball and he's an intelligent played who attacks space when he gets the opportunity. We haven't really seen his shooting as yet but my City mate tells me he has an excellent long-shot. The only knock on him so far is he starts brightly and fades as the game gets on and that can only be down to his fitness. I'm made up with him.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:48 am

Well from what I've seen of him I think he's slotted in very well and offers us natural width and the balance our midfield have needed. Technically he is sound, and he can control a ball on a six-pence, he he has good feet and does have a good go at attacking his fullback and turning them inside out. He may even eventually be able to help out Kuyt in the scoring department, against City he got to the bye-line and whipped in some very good crosses. Only had Kuyt read the timing of his runs right, he'd of been able to get on the end of them. I'd like to see him have a go at goal more and rack up some goals for us, taken the burden off other players and hopefully in time he will.

Like Scott perfectly said, he isnt another "project" or a "round peg in a square hole". He has slotted straight in and is doing a decent job of it.

Its been a good start towards his LFC career.
Last edited by Bam on Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby Fo Dne » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:19 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
Sabre wrote:Can we end this prediction game bóllocks? :D

I'd need 7 spots on like the one of Riera to compensate the prediction of Torres :D

Nah, I'm pretty sure about when a player is a good player, but prediction from Spain to England are a bit of a lottery sometimes. Plus, it doesn't matter who is right or wrong, people say his first impressions, readers make a little idea about the player, and that's all.

To be fair with this one Sabre you seemed to call this one correct, he wont be spectacular but he also picks the right pass almost every time. He also appears to have the ability to beat his man one on one.
The balance thing is the main issue, we can all harp on about Babel and Benayoun but riera offers genuine balance and makes the team look like an actual team.

with this one sabre i think you called it right.

Unlike Torres! :D

How could you get one of the best players in the world wrong? :p
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby Fo Dne » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:20 pm

Scottbot wrote:
s@int wrote:I think that's the main thing he has supplied so far mate ......BALANCE.

Bit late to the discussion but I was gonna post up the same thing. I've been very impressed with the player so far and i'm made up to be eating humble pie because I absolutely slated the player from the moment we were first linked to him in the summer. From what i've seen so far he's a real all-rounder and a proper footballer, he's not a project like Babel or another square peg in a round hole. He's fairly quick, he's a good passer, is pretty solid in the air, has quick feet in tight spaces, can cross a ball and he's an intelligent played who attacks space when he gets the opportunity. We haven't really seen his shooting as yet but my City mate tells me he has an excellent long-shot. The only knock on him so far is he starts brightly and fades as the game gets on and that can only be down to his fitness. I'm made up with him.

Nail on head. One of the most intelligent player's we've seen in a long time. Good alround player. Like him.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:23 pm

Scottbot wrote:

Actually scott, he did show he has a strong shot in him, showed it against the Mancs.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:01 pm

He's also a MASSIVE upgrade on Rafa's previous attempts to buy a 'resonably priced wingers' such as Gonzalez and Nunez. With both of those you kind of waited and hoped they might be the (or at least an) answer but it never happened. Totally different with this guy, while i couldn't see it from the youtube highlights you only had to watch one game and you can see he is a decent player.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HighasaKUYT » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:09 pm

needs to score more goals, had a couple of good games tho, couple of sh.itty ones,  might not be a cheap alternative flop again like last time. we'll see

Looks like desperate dan though
HighasaKUYT

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:27 pm

HighasaKUYT wrote:needs to score more goals, had a couple of good games tho, couple of sh.itty ones,  might not be a cheap alternative flop again like last time. we'll see

Looks like desperate dan though

He's not had one shitty game, he just went quite in some of them which is perfectly undestandable right now.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby Espionage » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:41 am

Probably already been posted but I thought that this was a really good watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jja0ZuYSiXM

In his first game he time and and again wrong footed his defenders with tricks and moved the ball on intelligently. When I watch Pennent in the reserves he plays really well and has got all this pace and all these tricks, but when he is against better opposition he seems to bottle it because he doesnt have the confidence to pull some of it off. What I see in Riera is someone who has maturity and confidence in what he is trying to do. It doesnt matter if he gets tackled half the time trying to get past his man, he just has to beat him once and put in a ball when its needed and he is a hero. Really pleased with how he has turned out.

One concern has been his final ball has not been up to the standards that he was putting when he was at Espanyol, when that improves we will have one of the best left midfielders in the league (and not one that will go unnoticed and be forever underrated). A shrewd piece of business that any of the top 10 teams wished that they had made at 10M
Last edited by Espionage on Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chrisrafman » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:44 pm

I think potentially this guy could be fantastic. I think ive already seen signs that he can beat players, cross the ball and produce magicical moves. I think hes gonna come good for us!!!
The devil on the badge represents the equality of manchester united with satan and his many demoish minions downstairs. just like the many twisted devil worshipers accross the world it means you have to posess the same sick minded mentality to follow that pathetic excuse for a football team.
chrisrafman

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:14 pm

Espionage wrote:Probably already been posted but I thought that this was a really good watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jja0ZuYSiXM

In his first game he time and and again wrong footed his defenders with tricks and moved the ball on intelligently. When I watch Pennent in the reserves he plays really well and has got all this pace and all these tricks, but when he is against better opposition he seems to bottle it because he doesnt have the confidence to pull some of it off. What I see in Riera is someone who has maturity and confidence in what he is trying to do. It doesnt matter if he gets tackled half the time trying to get past his man, he just has to beat him once and put in a ball when its needed and he is a hero. Really pleased with how he has turned out.

One concern has been his final ball has not been up to the standards that he was putting when he was at Espanyol, when that improves we will have one of the best left midfielders in the league (and not one that will go unnoticed and be forever underrated). A shrewd piece of business that any of the top 10 teams wished that they had made at 10M

this is why I think against the poor premier league opposition we should play Pennant and Riera on the wings with possibly Mascherano coming on for Alonso to make up for Kuyt not being in the squad.  Torres, Keane, and Gerrard would get plenty of quality service throughout the game from all areas of the pitch.
JoeTerp

Postby Owzat » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:24 pm

JoeTerp wrote:
Espionage wrote:Probably already been posted but I thought that this was a really good watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jja0ZuYSiXM

this is why I think against the poor premier league opposition we should play Pennant and Riera on the wings with possibly Mascherano coming on for Alonso to make up for Kuyt not being in the squad.  Torres, Keane, and Gerrard would get plenty of quality service throughout the game from all areas of the pitch.

If the players you suggest come in were capable of "quality service", wouldn't they be in the side week in, week out? And I'm not sure how replacing Alonso with Mascherano against weak opposition would improve the service either.

I think I may have written off Pennant now, just thought I'd announce it although most will probably have taken my first ever criticism of him as "written off"  :D

Gerrard didn't play very well on Saturday, that's him "written off". Oh and Torres had a bad game against...........................  :laugh:
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:11 pm

this is why I think against the poor premier league opposition we should play Pennant and Riera on the wings with possibly Mascherano coming on for Alonso to make up for Kuyt not being in the squad.  Torres, Keane, and Gerrard would get plenty of quality service throughout the game from all areas of the pitch

What about when we haven't the ball. You're swapping Alonso for Mascherano, a quality holding mid for a quality holding mid, that's ok. But even Mascherano being more defensive do you think that compensates playing with two pure wingers?

I'd only pick that against teams that are parking the bus on front of the goal. But then, I'm a bit "cautious" when it comes to football.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:19 pm

Sabre wrote:

this is why I think against the poor premier league opposition

I'd only pick that against teams that are parking the bus on front of the goal.

exactly
JoeTerp

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion