Albert riera - deal agreed with espanyol

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Jimmy the Weasel » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:53 pm

He's a left-sided player, with a left foot, who can carry the ball, beat a man, pick a pass and pull off a trick.

He's demonstrated these things in his first match against the scum.

So far so good for me, very impressed.
Jimmy the Weasel

Postby Fowler_E7 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:22 pm

stmichael wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:Classy, looks very good to me and maybe a superb signing.

I agree Stu. The big thing is he keeps the ball, unlike certain others in our side who give it away left right and centre. In 1 and a bit games I've hardly seen him give it away yet.

He creates as well. Two great crosses into the box tonight, and one fantastic diagonal ball which showed great vision.

agree with that, the guy hasn't misplaced a pass yet and always seem to make the correct decision when to to dribble or pass ive been quite impressed so far, if he keeps it up he could really add something diffrent to the side, that weve been lacking since Kewell went of the boil  :)
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby VamosRafa » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:52 pm

I really like the look of Riera, its quite a shame he's made so big an impact compared to Keane, who we paid more than double for and has played much more
VamosRafa

Postby europian-kings » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:51 pm

Riera woooahhh
Riera woooooahhhh
He came from Espanyol
He's now at Liverpool

:D :D :D
it sounds good for me at the moment....but i am a little drunk right now :)
europian-kings
LFC Super Member

Postby Rush Job » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:47 am

europian-kings wrote:Riera woooahhh
Riera woooooahhhh
He came from Espanyol
He's now at Liverpool

:D :D :D
it sounds good for me at the moment....but i am a little drunk right now :)

Yer suppose that would explain it. :O
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:52 pm

not gonna post the pictures again. but does no one else think this guy is the ABSOLUTE FECKIN DOUBLE of Javier Zanetti? ????

also he had 2 great games :)
burjennio

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:13 pm

Not the amazing signing we wanted for the left but will prove to be value for money and is by far the best option on the left we have had in years.

I think the reported 7-9 million we spent on him will prove to be a decent deal.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:07 pm

when I watched the game against United the commentators kept calling him Al bear    and left off the T altogether. Surely this cannot be right, no? When would you ever not pronounce a t in spanish?  You say the T in Alberto, no?
JoeTerp

Postby Sabre » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:10 pm

Yes, and the catalans also do pronounce the t, perhaps even they stress it more. But, personally I think commentators should focus more on not talking footie bóllocks rather than becoming spanish pronunciation experts.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:11 pm

JoeTerp wrote:when I watched the game against United the commentators kept calling him Al bear    and left off the T altogether. Surely this cannot be right, no? When would you ever not pronounce a t in spanish?  You say the T in Alberto, no?

I think in Spain they say Al-beer.......Ask Sabre!

Feck it,im calling him Albert he's in Britain now! :D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:11 pm

Sabre wrote:Yes, and the catalans also do pronounce the t, perhaps even they stress it more. But, personally I think commentators should focus more on not talking footie bóllocks rather than becoming spanish pronunciation experts.

if they weren't allowed to talk sh.ite, they wouldn't be allowed to talk. Saying people's names correctly is a big deal to me, I don't know why its not like people can say my name incorrectly even if they tried.  Still working on Bo yan Kir kitch. At least I thought that was how it was pronounced then i saw a video and all these little kids who seemed to be big time bojan fans said his name in some crazy way that I couldn't understand, back to square one on that name, I guess Bojan will do fine.

Also never sure how much Th sound to use on Zs in spanish. That wasn't really tought to be by my Costa Rican and Cuban Spanish teachers. Gonzalez was never anything close to Gonthaleth or gonzaleth or gonthales.  So when I herd Zaragotha and Cathorla for the first time I was like what the hell is going on aroud here.  then I started hearing Barthelona too and I thought that was a c.
JoeTerp

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:13 pm

I'm pleasantly surprised about the lad so far. He looks like Sabre said of him; comfortable in possession, not spectacular but consistent. He seemed to give us immediate balance against the Manc's, an outlet that we've needed badly. He has average pace, but can beat a man, get to the by-line and put in a cross or a cut-back, has good awareness, passing ability and is strong. He may not be a goal threat but looks like he'll create quite a bit and put pressure on teams so I'm fairly optimistic about him.
LFC2007

Postby bigmick » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:40 pm

In the bits I've seen he's looked fairly good. He's been helped out a bit by the fact that as a genuinely left footed player who actually plays left midfield as his normal position, he's the first one we've seen since kewell. He wouldn't be as good as Harry was at his very best (not that we saw that much) but so far has looked better than the various fill-ins we've had over there, as in fairness he's entitled to.

I've no doubts that if we got a right midfielder worth his salts he wouold like like an instant improvement on what we've got as well for the same reason. So far though I'm pleasantly hopeful that he'll shove doubters like me's words down our throats.

One last point. Does anybody know why whenever a new player arrives and one of us says we don't rate him, it's invariably "too early to judge him FFS :angry:." On the other hand, if a bloke has a decent debut it's absolutely fine to talk about him being a "great signing"?   :D
Last edited by bigmick on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:50 pm

bigmick wrote:In the bits I've seen he's looked fairly good. He's been helped out a bit by the fact that as a genuinely left footed player who actually plays left midfield as his normal position, he's the first one we've seen since kewell. He wouldn't be as good as Harry was at his very best (not that we saw that much) but so far has looked better than the various fill-ins we've had over there, as in fairness he's entitled to.

I've no doubts that if we got a right midfielder worth his salts he wouold like like an instant improvement on what we've got as well for the same reason. So far though I'm pleasantly hopeful that he'll shove doubters like me's words down our throats.

One last point. Does anybody know why whenever a new player arrives and one of us says we don't rate him, it's invariably "too early to judge him FFS :angry:." On the other hand, if a bloke has a decent debut it's absolutely fine to talk about him being a "great signing"?   :D

:D Never a truer word spoken.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:58 pm

One last point. Does anybody know why whenever a new player arrives and one of us says we don't rate him, it's invariably "too early to judge him FFS :angry:." On the other hand, if a bloke has a decent debut it's absolutely fine to talk about him being a "great signing"?

It's because like any other fan in the world we're biased towards our team. We'll hardly love other team's superstars even if their football is marvelous. Their mediocre players will be cráp directly for us.

A football fan which we all are, is not a journalist who's supposed to be neutral. We always tend to give time to a lad that isn't doing well, and we always tend to praise a player when he actually does well something. Kuyt being the exception that confirms this rule.

I think that must happen in every forum of every team of the world!
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion