Albert riera - deal agreed with espanyol

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:22 am

Yeah don't know about the Babel on the right thing Bob. They surely must have tried it at some stage in training, and presumeably he runs down dark allys, doesn't look up and has no significant end product to his play (nothing like when he plays sown the left of course  :D ). Feck knows Bob, but however unconvincing he can be and usually is, he can score a goal or cause one to happen. In his Liverpool career that will have been the most significant one so far on saturday, and he turned the Champions League tie against Arsenal last season with a fosberry flop in the box too.

I hear and fully sympathise with peoples reservations about him, but I wouldn't mind seeing a stat or two on him. Since we're talking about getting radical and putting him on the right given the fact he's right footed, it'll only be a matter of time before somebody gets really revolutionary and suggests sticking him in up top, given that that's where he used to play :D
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:30 am

bigmick wrote:Yeah don't know about the Babel on the right thing Bob. They surely must have tried it at some stage in training, and presumeably he runs down dark allys, doesn't look up and has no significant end product to his play (nothing like when he plays sown the left of course  :D ). Feck knows Bob, but however unconvincing he can be and usually is, he can score a goal or cause one to happen. In his Liverpool career that will have been the most significant one so far on saturday, and he turned the Champions League tie against Arsenal last season with a fosberry flop in the box too.

I hear and fully sympathise with peoples reservations about him, but I wouldn't mind seeing a stat or two on him. Since we're talking about getting radical and putting him on the right given the fact he's right footed, it'll only be a matter of time before somebody gets really revolutionary and suggests sticking him in up top, given that that's where he used to play :D

I'm sure those stats you're asking about would be very interesting reading and I expect someone will oblige before long.  I'm curious to know how many of his goals came after coming on as a sub.  He's certainly developing a bit of the super-sub reputation and I must admit that most of the times I've been impressed by him is when he's come on as a sub, while most of the times I've lost my rag with him he's started.  I'm not sure he'd relish just being a super sub long term but he's a nice option to have on the bench, that's for certain.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby bigmick » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:36 am

Another interesting one for me on Saturday was the selection of Aurelio over Dossena. Now it maybe the Italian is/was injured (and if he is apologies, it's not always easy to keep up with the "latest" over here), or more likely that in Rierra's first game Rafa wanted someone who could communicate with him playing alongside him, but once again I liked Aurelio.

I have liked the Brazillian since I first saw him and although many remain unconvinced, I am certain he has it in him to be a really good left back if he could stay fit. My early impressions of Dossena are that he is not the equal of Aurelio by a fair distance, and I wonder if we are going to see some rotation in the left back slot while the two of them fight it out.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:42 am

bigmick wrote:Another interesting one for me on Saturday was the selection of Aurelio over Dossena. Now it maybe the Italian is/was injured (and if he is apologies, it's not always easy to keep up with the "latest" over here), or more likely that in Rierra's first game Rafa wanted someone who could communicate with him playing alongside him, but once again I liked Aurelio.

I have liked the Brazillian since I first saw him and although many remain unconvinced, I am certain he has it in him to be a really good left back if he could stay fit. My early impressions of Dossena are that he is not the equal of Aurelio by a fair distance, and I wonder if we are going to see some rotation in the left back slot while the two of them fight it out.

I definitely think we'll see LB rotation, Mick.  My understanding is that Dossena was fit (made the bench, after all) but that he was coming off 90 minutes for Italy mid-week.

I agree that Aurelio and Riera seemed to link well down the left and I hope the Brazilian can stay fit long enough to confirm the suspicion that he's a better player than many give him credit for.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Owzat » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:59 am

I wouldn't read too much into a debut, his debut for Citeh went well didn't it and he isn't there anymore............... Plenty of players have started well and turned out to be pants, and vice versa. He looked promising, then again that isn't difficult in comparison to his predecessors on the left.

I'm a bit worried people want to stick Babel on the right, although I can understand that being obvious to anyone who hates Kuyt as a way of getting him out of the XI :laugh: I still prefer Babel as a sub, he seems most effective in that role.

Babel Goals For Liverpool

1 vs Derby (45)
2 vs Besiktas (79, 81) - 63rd minute sub
1 vs Newcastle (66) - 58th minute sub
1 vs Bolton (86) - 67th minute sub
1 vs Marseille (90) - 77th minute sub
1 vs Luton (45)
1 vs Bolton (60)
1 vs Arsenal (90) - 78th minute sub
1 vs Chelsea (117) - 99th minute sub
1 vs Man Utd (77) - 71st minute sub

Supersub.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:57 am

looked very very good on saturday. technically sound and gives us good balance down that side. could do with bulking up a bit physically though.

it's still very early days but a promising start none the less.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:00 pm

Owzat wrote:I wouldn't read too much into a debut, his debut for Citeh went well didn't it and he isn't there anymore............... Plenty of players have started well and turned out to be pants, and vice versa. He looked promising, then again that isn't difficult in comparison to his predecessors on the left.

I'm a bit worried people want to stick Babel on the right, although I can understand that being obvious to anyone who hates Kuyt as a way of getting him out of the XI :laugh: I still prefer Babel as a sub, he seems most effective in that role.

Babel Goals For Liverpool

1 vs Derby (45)
2 vs Besiktas (79, 81) - 63rd minute sub
1 vs Newcastle (66) - 58th minute sub
1 vs Bolton (86) - 67th minute sub
1 vs Marseille (90) - 77th minute sub
1 vs Luton (45)
1 vs Bolton (60)
1 vs Arsenal (90) - 78th minute sub
1 vs Chelsea (117) - 99th minute sub
1 vs Man Utd (77) - 71st minute sub

Supersub.

Those stats pretty much confirm my gut feeling...he excels off the bench but can still be a rather frustrating character when starting out wide.  That said, he's the kind of lad that can do damage to limited teams with lead-footed fullbacks so I'm sure he'll get his fair share of starts.  As a starter against a top side, though?  He's not ready, IMO.

(Sorry to keep talking about Babel in the Riera thread...just finishing a thought.)
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:58 pm

I was impressed with Riera on Saturday. He had a good game and he knew it (I loved the exit from the game - take your time son and lap up the applause why dont you). Think that early on in the game he went down a little too easy but once he realised he wasn't going get any joy from going down easy he knuckled down and had a very decent game. He looks to have the physical attributes for the EPL and defo offers us something a bit different with his good left boot. A promising debut from the lad. Well done.
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:17 pm

It was a good start but so far thats all it is - i remember some of the praise Kuyt got after his first game with some even comparing him to King Kenny with even King Kenny saying that Kuyt is the closest thing Liverpool have ever got to himself since he quit
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:18 pm

GYBS wrote:i remember some of the praise Kuyt got after his first game with some even comparing him to King Kenny with even King Kenny saying that Kuyt is the closest thing Liverpool have ever got to himself since he quit

:laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby flamingpoe » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:35 pm

clearly a bad comment from king kevin, also frank raijkard rated him before he came to liverpool, he thought he was a pretty good player, kuyt now tho has very little reason to be in the team in my eyes, he isnt a good striker, and has always been he now plays on the right and i reckon that in the next transfer window if it was me i wud get shot of him for funds and take the 20mil we were gonna waste on barry and plunge it into a incredible winger, jesus we shud be able to offload him for 8-12mil so 28 mil shud get us a pretty decent right winger for that money!!, if we f*** that up then i would be starring at rick parry..........thinking of thumb screws!! :P :D

that said riera seemed a decent player for us on saturday and was quite a integral player......alan hansen even ranted on about him comparing new signings for liverpool and manure and in my eyes riera looked good and berba looked very much so mediocre so hopefully he might be another bargain! :D
flamingpoe

Postby GYBS » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:40 pm

but the 20 mil for barry was cmonin from an alonso sale and we know rafa wont sell kuyt and alonso as they both showing to be important members of the sqaud
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:46 pm

flamingpoe wrote:clearly a bad comment from king kevin, also frank raijkard rated him before he came to liverpool, he thought he was a pretty good player, kuyt now tho has very little reason to be in the team in my eyes, he isnt a good striker, and has always been he now plays on the right and i reckon that in the next transfer window if it was me i wud get shot of him for funds and take the 20mil we were gonna waste on barry and plunge it into a incredible winger, jesus we shud be able to offload him for 8-12mil so 28 mil shud get us a pretty decent right winger for that money!!, if we f*** that up then i would be starring at rick parry..........thinking of thumb screws!! :P :D

that said riera seemed a decent player for us on saturday and was quite a integral player......alan hansen even ranted on about him comparing new signings for liverpool and manure and in my eyes riera looked good and berba looked very much so mediocre so hopefully he might be another bargain! :D

:laugh:
King Kevin!!
You mean Keegan?
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby flamingpoe » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:51 pm

yes no number keegan

and thats a shame init gybs!, but they were gonna sell alonso for 12.5? to juventus weren't they or was it 14.5? where were they gettin the extra 5.5mil??, probably plunge us into more problems by being like scotland are our best friends, next thing we know our sponsors will be rbs!!!!!
lmao, my mums a mananger for aztec west in bristol lol, she owns shares in rbs, only a meagre 2% but still lol, will i get cheap tickets?!!?!?!?! pmsl
flamingpoe

Postby Thewaykokid » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:25 am

I take it noone likes my story then........................ :(
Last edited by Thewaykokid on Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you can't amaze people with your intelligence, try confusing them with your :censored: :)
Thewaykokid

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion