Albert riera - deal agreed with espanyol

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby OneHotRed » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:11 pm

Gerrard30391 wrote:"It feels really good to be a Liverpool player and I am really happy to be at this club.

"I am looking forward to working with the manager and the players."

"As soon as I knew they were interested in me I knew there was only one club that I wanted to sign for and thankfully it has now happened," said the winger

I'd rather come to Liverpool than Hull or Sunderland.

"I know I will have to work very hard to get into the team because there are a lot of good players here but that is a challenge I am looking forward to.

My competition on the left is Captain Bleat the goat, and Fabio Aurellio, one is a goat the other is a defender and we all know Rafa, hopefully i'll get a fw games a season behind "el capitan"

:buttrock   :lookaround
OneHotRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:57 pm

mistyred wrote:Unfortunately, that form can suffer: Riera is someone who can struggle with consistency, he will constantly need an arm around his shoulders and be made to feel important if any manager wants to get the best out of him. He started last term at Espanyol in fabulous form, but without receiving that kind of attention, his form can dip dramatically, as it did over the second half of the season. He's even been known to put on some excess weight if his confidence suffers or he loses focus.

He'll be 16 stone by May then, Rafa won't be putting any arms around his shoulder :laugh:
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Simari » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:04 pm

john craig wrote:
mistyred wrote:Unfortunately, that form can suffer: Riera is someone who can struggle with consistency, he will constantly need an arm around his shoulders and be made to feel important if any manager wants to get the best out of him. He started last term at Espanyol in fabulous form, but without receiving that kind of attention, his form can dip dramatically, as it did over the second half of the season. He's even been known to put on some excess weight if his confidence suffers or he loses focus.

He'll be 16 stone by May then, Rafa won't be putting any arms around his shoulder :laugh:

Oh yeah, Rafa will lend him a hand .....

to the open door on the way out, if he hits 16 stone :D
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby destro » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:16 pm

mistyred wrote:Taken from Guillem Balagues website.

Many have questioned Albert Riera's abilities following his previous stint in English football at Manchester City. However, it would be wrong to judge him on his short spell at Eastlands: he was not given the opportunity to play in his natural, attacking, position, and spent his time there being used as a wing back.

I've had hundreds of e-mails and comments from Liverpool fans asking for my opinion of Riera - and please keep your questions and comments coming in:

Dave, from Liverpool, asks: 'Our new signing, Albert Riera. I know very little about him, and have heard very mixed reports. The price seems decent and Rafa seems happy, but there's a few question marks:

What kind of player is he?
Is he Liverpool standard?
What's the best position to play him in?
Will he settle in Liverpool and make the left side berth his own?

Others have expressed some concerns:  Victor. P in London said:  'Liverpool have just bought Albert Riera, do you feel he has the mental strength to become a success at Liverpool, because he strikes me as a very in and out player and I heard Graham Hunter say he has grave doubts that Riera is the player that will give us the incisive thrust that we are looking for, hinting that he falls short of the top class signing the club should have made.'

Well guys, let me start by saying that, when he is on form, Albert Riera can be one of the best left wingers in Europe. I'd even go as far as saying that, on his best days, he is the best left winger in Europe. I do realise that this is quite  a claim and I must stress that this is only something that we will see when he is on form, playing in an attacking wide position, confident and happy.

Unfortunately, that form can suffer: Riera is someone who can struggle with consistency, he will constantly need an arm around his shoulders and be made to feel important if any manager wants to get the best out of him. He started last term at Espanyol in fabulous form, but without receiving that kind of attention, his form can dip dramatically, as it did over the second half of the season. He's even been known to put on some excess weight if his confidence suffers or he loses focus.

To avoid that happening, and to get the very best out of him, he therefore needs to feel that he is a key player and cannot spend to long keeping the bench warm. Thankfully, I don't think that will happen at Liverpool: as someone close to the manager told me, 'If anyone is going straight in to the side, it's Riera - we simply don't have a better option for the left wing.'

Riera has a powerful shot that is particularly effective from outside the box, he is a strong header of the ball and he is capable of taking on and beating defenders:  in spite of not being the quickest around.

If there is one criticism of his play, it is that he often spends too long on the ball. His natural position is as a winger in a 4-2-3-1 formation and, if he does end up playing in a 4-4-2,  then Rafa will need to be constantly on top of him to remind him of his defensive responsibilities: Albert isn't particularly fond of tracking back.

However, the Liverpool coach knows all about him - his strengths and his weaknesses - and will be fully prepared to get the best out of him, I'm sure. And, as Riera told me when he signed, he has joined Liverpool because he wants to 'learn to be a better player under Rafa Benitez.'

In my opinion, the signs are there that - under the right conditions - Albert Riera will turn out to be very good acquisition for Liverpool.

I am pleased to have read these views from Guillem and before you say it yes i do know he supports Espanyol, but i find this a good read
and hopefully one that will give some supporters heart.

Thats a good read and answered the questions I was going to ask about him. I don't really remember him at City but all my City mates have been laughing their balls off at us signing him  ??? they all say he has great control and can kill a ball dead when it is pinged at him but thats about as far as the positives go, pace less is one word that is used a lot to describe him. The yanks obviously have watched him and with their amazing knowledge of Football they agree that he is better addition to our team than Barry would be and thats why they gave Raffa permission to sign him ( nothing to do with the fact he cost a lot less of course ). So once again we are down to a "time will tell " scenario  :;):
destro

Postby Reg » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:26 pm

Sorry lads but I dont buy into this.

Rafa couldnt buy the lad he wanted so once again he goes to spain and buys not the player he wants, but one he can afford at short notice.

I hope I´m wrong but am willing to stick my neck and say the lad wont last 2 seasons because - Rafa didnt really want him anyway.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:17 pm

Espanyol hit-man Luis Garcia is happy to see former team-mate Albert Riera join Liverpool.

Riera asked to leave the Barcelona club at the end of last season, and the midfielder is believed to have had a bust-up with members of the dressing room last term.

Garcia, who was linked to Tottenham and Benfica, remained at El Montjuic but was happy to see Riera move to Anfield.

“Riera being sold is a breath of oxygen for us,” Garcia told As. “He made sure we understood he wanted to leave and it ended with a move.

“For sure him leaving means we lose a great footballer, someone very important. Nobody’s going to say the contrary that Albert did a lot to the club in term of football quality.

“Nevertheless, he’s part of the past now. We are who we are and have to carry on, that’s what he said when he left.

“To me this (argument with Riera) is over and I don’t want to speak about it. I’m back, happy with my summertime and don’t want to get hot speaking about it (laughs).”
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:19 pm

I hope he does well for us. Hopefully we will never see Keane on the left again, or Babel for that matter.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:23 pm

The context of the quotes Toffeehater brings is what Albert said when the rumours about us wanting him started. It was quite a while ago, early in the summer. Albert made too clear he wanted to leave and it seems the squad and the crowd didn't like it.

But well, even when they make clear that they're dissapointed with him, they also admit he's a good footballer (great for Espanyol, good for us)
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:28 pm

Do you think he is good enough for the Premiership Sabre?

Is he likley to be used against Utd?

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:29 pm

Sabre wrote:The context of the quotes Toffeehater brings is what Albert said when the rumours about us wanting him started. It was quite a while ago, early in the summer. Albert made too clear he wanted to leave and it seems the squad and the crowd didn't like it.

But well, even when they make clear that they're dissapointed with him, they also admit he's a good footballer (great for Espanyol, good for us)

I would much prefer good for espanyol Great for us.
JoeTerp

Postby Sabre » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:31 pm

Let's play safe here: Riera will be yet another failure. And you can quote me on that :D

Bav, he's a good player, I like him. But don't make me make predictions about the adaptation to a different league, I learned the lesson with Torres' case mate. I always thought he was good (Torres), but I never expected so many goals when he didn't score that much in Spain. I never expected that sacrifice, that toughness when clashing with English defenders, when I didn't see a tough guy back in Spain. I knew very little about his adaptation potential.

So, let's be honest here: my prediction is irrelevant. I just say he's a good player.
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:46 pm

Wimp :D

I think Sabre has a fair point , he could be a world beater at espanyol its whether he can adapt here , that will be his biggiest challenge , if he can , he will put in some good performances . If he can't he will be another failure , just like morrienties , but i think he will succeed , he has the ability and has changed alot since his trail at city .

Another good example would be veron and shevchenko , but great players in their league , flops here because they could not handle the english game .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:04 pm

Even to some extent Mark Gonzalez. After the way he performed at Sociedad I was expecting him to be great over here. He was fecking shyte.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:07 pm

I can't help thinking this "Veron and Shevchecko" thing is a bit of an urban myth. Shevchenko was a shadow of his former self when he came to England, at his best I have absolutely no doubts whatsoever that he would have scored bucketloads of goals. Crespo was another who sometimes gets put in the "didn't hack it" pile, and he scored very regularly for Chelsea when selected (which wasn't overly often as Mourinho preferred Drogba on his own in a 4-5-1/4-2-3-1 if you prefer). Veron did Ok at Man Utd without uprooting trees, before being injured for most of his time at Chelsea.

Really top players generally hack it if persevered with. We shall see if Riera fits into a category which is anywhere near that.
Last edited by bigmick on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:16 pm

Just as important as adapting to another country is adapting to the new role that a new club sometimes asks a player to take on. Veron, a player who built play from the back at Lazio found that the mancs already had a great player playing that role, and he was forced to play in a variety of positions and never really settled as he found himself pushed further forward.

Shevchenko, a frontline striker and CF at Milan was asked to be a second striker behind Drogba at Chelsea and struggled.

Yes no doubt the physical nature of the prem played a part but asking players to take on roles they are not suited to or experienced in adds greatly to their problems.

Robbie Keane is being asked to adapt not only to a new club and new players but to a new system without (so far) wingers and where instead of simply striking from deep, he's also asked to play from the wide areas, not just running the channels but creating. Which is one reason I think he has been a little slow to get his Liverpool career off and running.

Hopefully Riera will just be asked to continue doing what he has done well in Spain and not asked to play wingback or fullback or something equally stupid. Then maybe he will quickly adapt to the prem doing something he is confident of and knows he can do well.
account deleted by request

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion