Albert riera - deal agreed with espanyol

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby lakes10 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:02 pm

Sabre wrote:It has been said that you can't do a too spectacular youtube video with Riera.

One of the things I like of him and that doesn't appear in youtube is that it's not easy to dispossess him. He has resources to cross and dribble, but he's always aware of other options, aware of Gerrard making a movement. I think that is a superb improvement on Babel, a player more gifted if you like -- except he's more one footed -- with pace and strenght, but whose decissions are not the best when playing the position.

I think that he'll be MOM few times, but curiously enough we'll be playing well with Riera while others get the credit -- as long as we win that's fine with me.

Also, on Pennant it has been said many times that he doesn't have that "being in the box" to try to finnish, Riera certainly is better in that camp.

In a nutshell the best of Riera is not his football attributes, but his decissions, a good player, that rarely you can say he was awful in a match.

All that said, it might perfectly happen that a good decission taker in Spain is not a good decission taker for a different kind of game, but I'm mildly optimistic. Not too optimistic because otherwise I'll jinx the lad, but a bit optimistic.

i say that Rafa just put left wing player into youtube and Albert riera was the first video to come up, and he just said "buy him"

god i hope i am so wrong if we buy him.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:03 pm

Telling if a player is good is easy. Telling how will do a player from Spain in England and viceversa is not that easy and a bit of  gamble.

In Torres' case I was wrong not only me, but almost all the fans, pundits and even ex-coaches. All but Rafa and some loyal Atletico fans.

The only journo that said "I told you so" was caught in a contradiction and remains as a known liar.  :laugh:

i say that Rafa just put left wing player into youtube and Albert riera was the first video to come up, and he just said "buy him"

Nah mate, Rafa is that kind of football maniac that knows the players of primera, segunda, and the sub 16 teams.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:04 pm

Number 9 wrote:
s@int wrote:
Sabre wrote:It has been said that you can't do a too spectacular youtube video with Riera.

One of the things I like of him and that doesn't appear in youtube is that it's not easy to dispossess him. He has resources to cross and dribble, but he's always aware of other options, aware of Gerrard making a movement. I think that is a superb improvement on Babel, a player more gifted if you like -- except he's more one footed -- with pace and strenght, but whose decissions are not the best when playing the position.

I think that he'll be MOM few times, but curiously enough we'll be playing well with Riera while others get the credit -- as long as we win that's fine with me.

Also, on Pennant it has been said many times that he doesn't have that "being in the box" to try to finnish, Riera certainly is better in that camp.

In a nutshell the best of Riera is not his football attributes, but his decissions, a good player, that rarely you can say he was awful in a match.

All that said, it might perfectly happen that a good decission taker in Spain is not a good decission taker for a different kind of game, but I'm mildly optimistic. Not too optimistic because otherwise I'll jinx the lad, but a bit optimistic.

Now I know he's doomed !  :D

:D Was gonna say that as well!

But I will give Sabre the benefit of the doubt this time.He lives in Spain and im sure knows more about Riera than most of us.
Well i hope hes right anyway!
Its on your head Sabre!! :eyebrow

Not really something we can put in our sig's as a rallying cry, or quote Sabre on is it....."I'm mildly optimistic"  :D
account deleted by request

Postby Number 9 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:08 pm

lakes10 wrote:
Number 9 wrote:
lakes10 wrote:
s@int wrote:
lakes10 wrote:
lakes10 wrote:Is it just me that is a bit worried about some of the new players that we have or are getting and some of the players we have got rid of.

I know some on here did not like Crouch but for me he was a great player. John Arne Riise for me only had one bad year and we got rid of him.

it was just as bad when Djibril Cisse was sold, i still feel he is a top player and and i think we might be in for a shock when he plays against us.

why we have sold then i still not sure but why the hell have we still got Andriy Voronin?

Xabi Alonso should not be sold for any player, he will so hard to replace and there are not many players out there like him.

it just makes me feal uneasy with some of the things Rafa has been doing with our team.i still dont see and team formation he is trying to bulid, there are no players that that are new to the team that complement the ones we already have.

Rafa has not got the time on his hands to start to build a new team and if he thinks he has he is going to get a big  shock if we are 5th at xmas as a p45 will all he will be getting.

this is not a pop at Rafa, i am just honestly confused as to whats going on with the team he is trying to build.

ok so its just me then  :D

No mate, I am a little concerned as well, but I need more time before I start blasting his signings. Once they have settled if they are still not much better I will moan as loud as anyone, but at the moment I am still hoping they will work out.

I am a little confused as to why we have gone for another import when Rafa seemed to be stressing the importance of Barry being English, but until I see what he has to offer I will give Riera the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately like Voronin I think if he doesn't start well the knockers (including me) will be on his back sooner rather than later.

i just fear that Rafa might just be buying this guy to make a point to the owners, "ok so i can not have Barry, ok then i will buy this guy who has not pace and show you what you could have spent the money on"

Oh FFS Lakes wise up!
Seriously like do you think Rafa is gonna just buy a player who he thinks is slow and sh'ite just to make the point of :censored: the yanks off? :D

well he is buying one. so why do you think he is buying hin then. :D

Rafa must think he's a good player lakes!He's not just gonna buy him to p'iss the Yanks off ffs! :laugh:

My biggest concern is that he is buying him for the sake of getting an extra body in rather than make do with what we have until January!Anyway it looks like hes almost 100% ours now so we will have to wait and see how he plays.Looks like most feel the same way about this signing though so Albert has a lot of convincing to do with that left peg!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:09 pm

None of his tricks worked :( , but he looks a decent passer of a ball, he also looks like he has got his laces tied together when he runs, and can't stretch his legs.

Postby lakes10 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:10 pm

Sabre wrote:Telling if a player is good is easy. Telling how will do a player from Spain in England and viceversa is not that easy and a bit of  gamble.

In Torres' case I was wrong not only me, but almost all the fans, pundits and even ex-coaches. All but Rafa and some loyal Atletico fans.

The only journo that said "I told you so" was caught in a contradiction and remains as a known liar.  :laugh:

Nah mate, Rafa is that kind of football maniac that knows the players of primera, segunda, and the sub 16 teams.

i know mate, Rafa is a football nut.

Makes you wonder even more why he is buying him, he must see something in him that most of us dont.

One of my mates is a man city fan and even he said we should not buy him. (take that with a pinch of salt)
he says most man city fans knoes the guy has about as much pace as a hedgehog.
Last edited by lakes10 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:11 pm

s@int wrote:
Number 9 wrote:
s@int wrote:

But I will give Sabre the benefit of the doubt this time.He lives in Spain and im sure knows more about Riera than most of us.
Its on your head Sabre!! :eyebrow

Not really something we can put in our sig's as a rallying cry, or quote Sabre on is it....."I'm mildly optimistic"  :D

Well he does say that he will be MOTM a few times,get him in your dream team mate!! :D

Ya could do with the points!! :rasp
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:17 pm

lakes10 wrote:
s@int wrote:
lakes10 wrote:
lakes10 wrote:Is it just me that is a bit worried about some of the new players that we have or are getting and some of the players we have got rid of.

I know some on here did not like Crouch but for me he was a great player. John Arne Riise for me only had one bad year and we got rid of him.

it was just as bad when Djibril Cisse was sold, i still feel he is a top player and and i think we might be in for a shock when he plays against us.

why we have sold then i still not sure but why the hell have we still got Andriy Voronin?

Xabi Alonso should not be sold for any player, he will so hard to replace and there are not many players out there like him.

it just makes me feal uneasy with some of the things Rafa has been doing with our team.i still dont see and team formation he is trying to bulid, there are no players that that are new to the team that complement the ones we already have.

Rafa has not got the time on his hands to start to build a new team and if he thinks he has he is going to get a big  shock if we are 5th at xmas as a p45 will all he will be getting.

this is not a pop at Rafa, i am just honestly confused as to whats going on with the team he is trying to build.

ok so its just me then  :D

No mate, I am a little concerned as well, but I need more time before I start blasting his signings. Once they have settled if they are still not much better I will moan as loud as anyone, but at the moment I am still hoping they will work out.

I am a little confused as to why we have gone for another import when Rafa seemed to be stressing the importance of Barry being English, but until I see what he has to offer I will give Riera the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately like Voronin I think if he doesn't start well the knockers (including me) will be on his back sooner rather than later.

i just fear that Rafa might just be buying this guy to make a point to the owners, "ok so i can not have Barry, ok then i will buy this guy who has not pace and show you what you could have spent the money on"

You do realise Benitez isn't 10 years old?

Fu.cking ridiculous theory.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:19 pm

Number 9 wrote:
s@int wrote:
Number 9 wrote:
s@int wrote:

Its on your head Sabre!!

Well he does say that he will be MOTM a few times,get him in your dream team mate!! :D

Ya could do with the points!! :rasp

I think Sabre was meaning he will only be M.O.M. very few times Barry.

I am just giving the rest of you a chance before I pick my best team and soar up the table.

Postby Sabre » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:24 pm

Barry: I said he'd be MOM few times, as in, he won't be MOM many times at all, he's more a player that makes a team good rather than himself. (Now you'll see he'll get MOM every week).

Lakes: No, he's not pacy, true. But he knows how to dribble and he knows crossing with both feet so that makes difficult to defend.

That said, I don't know how he will react to the physicallity, I don't know what he'll do when he's done a crunching tackle rather than the defender holding a position. But I know that when we start a counterattack in his side, he will give the proper delivery, and you don't need a pacy player to make a pacy counterattack -- few passes will suffice.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:27 pm

Sabre wrote:Barry: I said he'd be MOM few times, as in, he won't be MOM many times at all, he's more a player that makes a team good rather than himself. (Now you'll see he'll get MOM every week).

Lakes: No, he's not pacy, true. But he knows how to dribble and he knows crossing with both feet so that makes difficult to defend.

That said, I don't know how he will react to the physicallity, I don't know what he'll do when he's done a crunching tackle rather than the defender holding a position. But I know that when we start a counterattack in his side, he will give the proper delivery, and you don't need a pacy player to make a pacy counterattack -- few passes will suffice.

Sabre I was trying to confuse saint but he never fell for it!! :D

Joking... I misread your post!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 pm

Sabre -

Riera scored 1 goal in 19 appearances for Man City.

He has scored 12 goals in 94 appearances at Espanyol (where he is alleged to have blossomed into a good player).

A goal every 8 games (roughly) for Espanyol is hardly prolific, although not disgraceful as long as his assists record is good - can you shed any light on this?

Basically, is he going to be another Kuyt - works hard for the team and can retain possession reassonably well?  Or is he actually going to do some real damage in the final third?  That is the real question as far as this guy's concerned.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:38 pm

john craig wrote:is he actually going to do some real damage in the final third?

Spot on John, thats the question we need the answer to mate   :nod

Postby Sabre » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:45 pm

Kuyt works hard for the team when the team hasn't the ball. Kuyt with the ball in his feet, and I'm not talking about control abilities or how he runs with it but the decissions is more a problem than a good thing for us. Just like Babel who's better in the footballing attributes, but not much better in the decissions.

Riera won't try to find  the one on one every time he gets a chance to do it like Kewell. But if the opposition is narrow he will. He won't give many passes a la Fabregas or Xavi (Barcelona), but he won't ever give the wrong pass or the uneffective pass.

To that equation, you must add that he comes from a club that packs well together when they play away, to a club that will be dominating most of the games, which I think will benefit his game. His game will IMHO make our attack more fluid, while you won't be able to say "oh what a player". As for the goals, yes, I think we can expect 5 or 6 goals a season, never the 15 of Luis Garcia. BUT, he won't waste not even the 5% of the balls lil Luis did. He's a solid player.

But I'm making predictions again. Let's see the player and we'll see. What I'm sure of is that he's not rubbish. He may have been garbage in 19 games in Manchester, but hey, Mascherano wasn't good enough for West Ham either.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:50 pm

Sabre wrote:What I'm sure of is that he's not rubbish. He may have been garbage in 19 games in Manchester, but hey, Mascherano wasn't good enough for West Ham either.

I think that is a fair point.

My main concern though Sabre, is not that he was sh.it for City, it's that the last time you seemed this excited about one of our signings it was Mark Gonzalez...  :D
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion