Albert riera - deal agreed with espanyol

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:30 pm

Sabre wrote:John Craig's proposal is one I made aswell these years. I didn't like the San Sebastian Evertonian very much as a person once, but he convinced me as a footballer and also out of the pitch later when he came to RS. He was marginated by the coach, but he prefered to shut up in order not to harm the club. That talks volumes about his commitment for the clubs he plays for.

As a footballer, he's very complete, and indeed he can play in the left (and CM and RM). But I think it's impossible to bring him with the money we have. How much would Everton ask? Not less that Villas asks for Barry I'm afraid.

Riera might not be a top class player, but his game has little to do with Pennant's. Give him a chance, in the world of Spanish footballers, Riera means more than an Arbeloa! :)

Arteta has won me over in recent seasons Sabre.  In his first stint in British football with Rangers, he didn't impress me at all.  Played there as a central midfielder, but got bullied off the ball a lot and wasn't strong enough.  He came back to Everton a different player though, but perhaps that's because he's now found his best position, as a right midfielder.  The more I watch him now though, the more impressed I am.  Shame he's at Everton.  I wonder how long he has left on his conract there?  He's been there a few years now.

There seems to be this feeling that it's 'wingers' we need.  Well it's not.  We don't need players to dribble past full backs and fizz crosses into the box, we just need players who can give us a bit of creativity from wide positions.  Arteta is more in the Beckham/Bentley mould than that of an out and out  winger.  Having said that, a more conventional winger like SWP would be an improvement on what we have too.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:39 pm

I kind of like this player, he's got a lot of tricks and he likes to do all these fancy flicks.  I also remember that he's got a decent shot as well, he scored a great goal against Denmark last season.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby Sabre » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:49 pm

There seems to be this feeling that it's 'wingers' we need.  Well it's not.  We don't need players to dribble past full backs and fizz crosses into the box, we just need players who can give us a bit of creativity from wide positions.  Arteta is more in the Beckham/Bentley mould than that of an out and out  winger.  Having said that, a more conventional winger like SWP would be an improvement on what we have too.

Yes, I agree that. In fact, Gerrard has given a world class lesson of how to be dangerous playing wide without actually being or perfoming a winger role.

I also agree the notion that Stu discussed somewhere else about our strikers not thriving from crosses (excuse me if I'm not 100& accurate in the quote). Well certainly Torres is more dangerous sending a ball to space rather than as a classic 9 expecting crosses, but the fact he's not a classic 9 doesn't mean we don't need those: at least for the sake of not being predictible because in some games, when a strong opposition makes an effort to have Gerrard somewhat controlled, we don't have many other answers. If we create more danger from the wings, and that can come from wingers and right/left midfielders, we won't be as predictible and that at the end will benefit Torres and Gerrard himself.
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:07 am

The transfer of the Liverpool Riera will be official in the next few hours .

The agreement between the parties is almost complete. 
Espanyol only is awaiting documentation  Riera will be Liverpool player in the next few hours.

Roman Martinez admits that can play better Andrés Merello Andres Merello
The signing of Albert Riera by Liverpool is practically official. Everton,  rival.

The 'reds' have made a final effort by the Balearic and have matched the offer presented by the Everton, his rival citizen. The British paid eight million euros for the Spanish international over three variables.   One of the fringes pending is to clarify how and when will collect the items concerning the variables. This is the only obstacle to a negotiation that today can be finally closed.   

Espanyol has already received the documentation today and those responsible blanquiazules full consideration to all the details. bien, el fichaje If all goes well, the signing of Riera will be made official in the next few hours.   The sale of the player will make a significant economic injection for the club's coffers.

In the end, have been imposed footballer's wishes that from the outset made it clear that he wanted to move by Liverpool, despite the fact that Everton's offer was better for Espanyol.    The possibility of playing Champions is an enormous incentive for the Balearic who also will meet with a large group of compatriots.

http://translate.google.com/transla....s&tl=en
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:20 am

Tbh I never really took much notice of this transfer as I didn't believe we were really interested , thought it was either a smokescreen for other deals or just to p!ss off Everton lol. I can't really say I remember much of him at City, but from what I understand he is a decent player.

I thought we were supposedly after an ENGLISH player rather than another import?
account deleted by request

Postby Ciggy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:25 am

s@int wrote:Tbh I never really took much notice of this transfer as I didn't believe we were really interested , thought it was either a smokescreen for other deals or just to p!ss off Everton lol. I can't really say I remember much of him at City, but from what I understand he is a decent player.

I thought we were supposedly after an ENGLISH player rather than another import?

Im not happy about this Saint (panic buy)?
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:28 am

Ciggy wrote:
s@int wrote:Tbh I never really took much notice of this transfer as I didn't believe we were really interested , thought it was either a smokescreen for other deals or just to p!ss off Everton lol. I can't really say I remember much of him at City, but from what I understand he is a decent player.

Im not happy about this Saint (panic buy)?

Seems a bit like it, similar to when we bought Pennant, more a case of getting someone in rather than getting the right player in.

Postby matrix » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:38 am

if rafa wants riera he must be a quality left winger,  couldn't  care less what he did at city   he will be playing with far better players this time around   he's  worth the risk...

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:43 am

matrix wrote:if rafa wants riera he must be a quality left winger,  couldn't  care less what he did at city   he will be playing with far better players this time around   he's  worth the risk...

Yeah, Rafa has done great when it comes to bringing in wingers Zenden, Gonzales, Leto, Nunez, Pennant , Benayoun, Babel. All been great successes, can't think why I have any doubts   :D

Postby Toffeehater » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:51 am

s@int wrote:
matrix wrote:if rafa wants riera he must be a quality left winger,  couldn't  care less what he did at city   he will be playing with far better players this time around   he's  worth the risk...

Yeah, Rafa has done great when it comes to bringing in wingers Zenden, Gonzales, Leto, Nunez, Pennant , Benayoun, Babel. All been great successes, can't think why I have any doubts   :D

Babel has done well for his first season , has the quality , can beat his man and does get his fair share of goals the first winger who does for us . Pennant was playing well had he had a run of games and yossi is decent but not consistent  enough , also gets bullied rather easily against big defenders . I feel Riera will not be world class but he will be good enough to succeed in the prem , maybe 5 to 8 goals a season and a fair share of assists
Last edited by Toffeehater on Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:00 am

Toffeehater wrote:
s@int wrote:

Babel has done well for his first season , has the quality , can beat his man and does get his fair share of goals the first winger who does for us . Pennant was playing well had he had a run of games and yossi is decent but not consistent  enough , also gets bullied rather easily against big defenders . I feel Riera will not be world class but he will be good enough to succeed in the prem , maybe 5 to 8 goals a season and a fair share of assists

I haven't seen enough of him to say either way mate, but at best I am hoping for decent rather than a player that will shine for us. Bit negative I know, but I think if he was going to be something special I would have noticed him ?

Postby Toffeehater » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:03 am

:laugh: , well if he was something special , there won't be only 2 clubs who are interested in him .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:07 am

Toffeehater wrote: :laugh: , well if he was something special , there won't be only 2 clubs who are interested in him .

Thats my problem wingers there are few and far between, and at 26 years of age if he was that good a winger why hasnt one of the top clubs already signed him up.

Im worried.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:10 am

Ciggy wrote:
Toffeehater wrote::laugh: , well if he was something special , there won't be only 2 clubs who are interested in him .

Thats my problem wingers there are few and far between, and at 26 years of age if he was that good a winger why hasnt one of the top clubs already signed him up.

Im worried.

if one of the top clubs signed him up or going after him... it is unlikely we can pry him away to us... we don't have the financial muscle...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:18 am

Liverpool FC edge closer to Albert Riera’s asking price

Aug 26 2008 by Ian Doyle, Liverpool Daily Post

LIVERPOOL are edging closer to signing Espanyol winger Albert Riera despite Everton’s attempts to hijack the deal.

The Anfield outfit are ready to lodge an improved bid to sign the 26-year-old Spain international.

While Everton are thought to have met Espanyol’s asking price, Riera has set his heart on a move to their Merseyside neighbours.

However, that will only happen if Liverpool increase their bid of around £9million for a player which Espanyol value nearer the £12m mark.

Benitez has tracked Riera all summer and has now turned to the former Mallorca and Bordeaux man in an effort to solve Liverpool ’s problem left midfield area.

Aston Villa’s £18m valuation ultimately scuppered a move for Gareth Barry while Middlesbrough have slapped a similarly prohibitive price tag on Stewart Downing.

Riera spent six months on loan at Manchester City in 2006 but the Premier League club failed to agree a fee with Espanyol over a permanent transfer.

Espanyol president Daniel Sanchez Llibre yesterday admitted Riera is on the brink of a move to the Premier League, but reiterated his club’s determination to gain top dollar for the player.

“We have received two interesting offers, both of which are from English clubs,” said Llibre. “What we always do is defend our interests. We won’t sell any player if the bid is not the amount we have asked for.

“If they want Albert Riera, they’ll have to pay what Espanyol is asking.”

And Espanyol sporting director Paco Herrara, a former member of Benitez’s backroom staff at Liverpool, was even more specific, and added: “There is a team which is offering what we have asked and another one which isn’t, but the player is interested in the one which is offering the least. We will not lower our asking price.”

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpo....1602542

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion