Albert riera - deal agreed with espanyol

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby lakes10 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:35 pm

lakes10 wrote:Is it just me that is a bit worried about some of the new players that we have or are getting and some of the players we have got rid of.

I know some on here did not like Crouch but for me he was a great player. John Arne Riise for me only had one bad year and we got rid of him.

it was just as bad when Djibril Cisse was sold, i still feel he is a top player and and i think we might be in for a shock when he plays against us.

why we have sold then i still not sure but why the hell have we still got Andriy Voronin?

Xabi Alonso should not be sold for any player, he will so hard to replace and there are not many players out there like him.

it just makes me feal uneasy with some of the things Rafa has been doing with our team.i still dont see and team formation he is trying to bulid, there are no players that that are new to the team that complement the ones we already have.

Rafa has not got the time on his hands to start to build a new team and if he thinks he has he is going to get a big  shock if we are 5th at xmas as a p45 will all he will be getting.

this is not a pop at Rafa, i am just honestly confused as to whats going on with the team he is trying to build.

ok so its just me then  :D
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:42 pm

lakes10 wrote:
lakes10 wrote:Is it just me that is a bit worried about some of the new players that we have or are getting and some of the players we have got rid of.

I know some on here did not like Crouch but for me he was a great player. John Arne Riise for me only had one bad year and we got rid of him.

it was just as bad when Djibril Cisse was sold, i still feel he is a top player and and i think we might be in for a shock when he plays against us.

why we have sold then i still not sure but why the hell have we still got Andriy Voronin?

Xabi Alonso should not be sold for any player, he will so hard to replace and there are not many players out there like him.

it just makes me feal uneasy with some of the things Rafa has been doing with our team.i still dont see and team formation he is trying to bulid, there are no players that that are new to the team that complement the ones we already have.

Rafa has not got the time on his hands to start to build a new team and if he thinks he has he is going to get a big  shock if we are 5th at xmas as a p45 will all he will be getting.

this is not a pop at Rafa, i am just honestly confused as to whats going on with the team he is trying to build.

No mate, I am a little concerned as well, but I need more time before I start blasting his signings. Once they have settled if they are still not much better I will moan as loud as anyone, but at the moment I am still hoping they will work out.

I am a little confused as to why we have gone for another import when Rafa seemed to be stressing the importance of Barry being English, but until I see what he has to offer I will give Riera the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately like Voronin I think if he doesn't start well the knockers (including me) will be on his back sooner rather than later.
account deleted by request

Postby bigmick » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:49 pm

Ciggy wrote:
heimdall wrote:
lakes10 wrote:even Morten Gamst Pedersen would be better

Are you kidding, he would be an awesome signing, I would love to get "Gamsten", in my opinion he's one of the best left wingers in the prem.

Yer what  :Oo: hes a worst version of Riise, best winger in the prem after Ronaldo is Ashley Young FACT.

Gotta say I really like Ashley Young and always have. I saw him play first for Watford at a game at Palace in the play offs and he scored a brilliant free-kick from thirty yards. It was hardly the biggest surprise in the World either as as soon as the free kick was awarded, the travelling hordes in yellow struck up a chorus of "we've got Ashley Young" to the tune of knees up Mother Brown. There were groans all round the Palace fans when he bent it into the top corner, and I didn't think it was too much of a gamble personally when O'Neil shelled out eleven mill for him.

He remains a perfect example for me of the fact that there are good young British players around if you're prepared to look for them, and are prepared to take the financial punt.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:51 pm

Number 9 wrote:
Ciggy wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:Hıya from roastıng Cyprus gaggın for some football news

Pfffft nannys got a turkish keyboard :D

:laugh:  :laugh:
PMSL!

you'd laugh at owt

:p
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:56 pm

s@int wrote:
lakes10 wrote:

No mate, I am a little concerned as well, but I need more time before I start blasting his signings. Once they have settled if they are still not much better I will moan as loud as anyone, but at the moment I am still hoping they will work out.

I am a little confused as to why we have gone for another import when Rafa seemed to be stressing the importance of Barry being English, but until I see what he has to offer I will give Riera the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately like Voronin I think if he doesn't start well the knockers (including me) will be on his back sooner rather than later.

i just fear that Rafa might just be buying this guy to make a point to the owners, "ok so i can not have Barry, ok then i will buy this guy who has not pace and show you what you could have spent the money on"
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:58 pm

lakes10 wrote:
s@int wrote:
lakes10 wrote:

i just fear that Rafa might just be buying this guy to make a point to the owners, "ok so i can not have Barry, ok then i will buy this guy who has not pace and show you what you could have spent the money on"

Oh FFS Lakes wise up!
Seriously like do you think Rafa is gonna just buy a player who he thinks is slow and sh'ite just to make the point of :censored: the yanks off? :D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:05 pm

This thing about Rafa not getting his first choices is a bit of a red herring in my opinion. I remember Ferguson trying to sign Ronaldinho before he went to Barca and not being able to get the cash together, Wenger hardly spends anything relatively and only Chelsea can genuinely be held up as an example of a team who can just about buy who they want. All managers have to work within a prescribed budget, they always have and I would venture that given we've spent the best part of forty million quid this Summer, or budget is bigger than most.

I know people will say "ah but hang on, we've got money in from sales" but it's worth noting that many managers are forced to sell their best players and don't actually get the money to replace them. Many managers have to cope with their best players being sold from under their feet, or their best players leaving for much bigger wages elsewhere (Hleb, Flamini and almost Adebayor anyone) so this often trotted out image of Rafa being some sort of badly done to down-trodden serf to his masters, doesn't wash with me.

I don't rate Rierra at all but hopefully he can leave what I remember of his Man City form well behind and be a good signing. If he does, and I'll be watching for any signs like a hawk, I'll be the first on here saying what a w@nker I am, how fantastic he is, how wrong I was and what a great signing he is/was. Similarly Dossena, from what I've seen I don't think he's good enough but I am eagerly waiting to be proven wrong. But just like it would be churlish should Rierra turn out ot be a World beater to deny Rafa any praise on the grounds that "he was lucky to buy him, it wasn't even his first choice" it would be silly if these players aren't upto it to stick to the "ah but they weren't his first choice" line.

Dossena was by all accounts about 7 million quid, which whether he was first, second or twentieth choice is a fecking lot of money for a left full back. Rierra if he is between 6-9 million quid, is an expensive signing in his own right. As supporters of a club, fans are entitled to expect such signings to be at the very least an improvement on what we already have/had, and perhaps a fairly big improvement. This I think applies regardless of any wish-list which did or didn't come to pass.
Last edited by bigmick on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:05 pm

I thought we were supposedly after an ENGLISH player rather than another import?

He's called Albert.

That sounds kinda English.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby spion » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:35 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmVAMIIiSqM&feature=related

The footage is quite good but they manage to make anyone look good on youtube.
spion

Postby Sabre » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:43 pm

It has been said that you can't do a too spectacular youtube video with Riera.

One of the things I like of him and that doesn't appear in youtube is that it's not easy to dispossess him. He has resources to cross and dribble, but he's always aware of other options, aware of Gerrard making a movement. I think that is a superb improvement on Babel, a player more gifted if you like -- except he's more one footed -- with pace and strenght, but whose decissions are not the best when playing the position.

I think that he'll be MOM few times, but curiously enough we'll be playing well with Riera while others get the credit -- as long as we win that's fine with me.

Also, on Pennant it has been said many times that he doesn't have that "being in the box" to try to finnish, Riera certainly is better in that camp.

In a nutshell the best of Riera is not his football attributes, but his decissions, a good player, that rarely you can say he was awful in a match.

All that said, it might perfectly happen that a good decission taker in Spain is not a good decission taker for a different kind of game, but I'm mildly optimistic. Not too optimistic because otherwise I'll jinx the lad, but a bit optimistic.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:49 pm

Sabre wrote:It has been said that you can't do a too spectacular youtube video with Riera.

One of the things I like of him and that doesn't appear in youtube is that it's not easy to dispossess him. He has resources to cross and dribble, but he's always aware of other options, aware of Gerrard making a movement. I think that is a superb improvement on Babel, a player more gifted if you like -- except he's more one footed -- with pace and strenght, but whose decissions are not the best when playing the position.

I think that he'll be MOM few times, but curiously enough we'll be playing well with Riera while others get the credit -- as long as we win that's fine with me.

Also, on Pennant it has been said many times that he doesn't have that "being in the box" to try to finnish, Riera certainly is better in that camp.

In a nutshell the best of Riera is not his football attributes, but his decissions, a good player, that rarely you can say he was awful in a match.

All that said, it might perfectly happen that a good decission taker in Spain is not a good decission taker for a different kind of game, but I'm mildly optimistic. Not too optimistic because otherwise I'll jinx the lad, but a bit optimistic.

Now I know he's doomed !  :D
account deleted by request

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:52 pm

spion wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmVAMIIiSqM&feature=related

The footage is quite good but they manage to make anyone look good on youtube.

Looks good on Youtube but lets see what he's like in the flesh and in an LFC shirt.

I am all for giving him a chance. He looks a very natural, balanced left footer. Too many back heels in that footage but he'll soon get that knocked out of him in the EPL.
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:57 pm

s@int wrote:
Sabre wrote:It has been said that you can't do a too spectacular youtube video with Riera.

clearly when you curb your optimism to try and get rid of a jinx, you will only jinx the player further  :(          :D

I recomend you go the opposite way with it Sabre and make outlandishly optomistic statements, that way, when he falls short of your jinx it will be better than if also falls short of only mildly optimistic predicitions.
JoeTerp

Postby Number 9 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:58 pm

s@int wrote:

:D Was gonna say that as well!

But I will give Sabre the benefit of the doubt this time.He lives in Spain and im sure knows more about Riera than most of us.
Well i hope hes right anyway!
Its on your head Sabre!! :eyebrow
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:59 pm

Number 9 wrote:
lakes10 wrote:
s@int wrote:
lakes10 wrote:

Oh FFS Lakes wise up!
Seriously like do you think Rafa is gonna just buy a player who he thinks is slow and sh'ite just to make the point of :censored: the yanks off? :D

well he is buying one. so why do you think he is buying him then. :D
Last edited by lakes10 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion