Agger - left back - just a thought?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Quadrophenia » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:09 am

I don't expect Agger to play left back like Cole/Evra/Clichy because that's not his game. Left back on the whole isn't his game, because you either need to be a bombing type like the top three have or a steady, reliable, strong left back - something in the mould of Wayne Bridge (just better because he's :censored:) You then need to be able to support your left winger by making runs to take the opposing full back away or on the over lap when going forward - Agger doesn't have this in his locker. When he brings it out, it's from the middle where space opens up for a centre half much easily then down the wing for a full back. As a full back, the drop of the shoulder won't work, you have to try and whip the ball in or beat your man which will prove a very hard task for Agger because he doesn't just rush a pass.

We've got Insua who in the handful of games I've seen him in the first team hasn't put a foot wrong. It's about time he got his chance because he's bloody well deserved it. There's only way of seeing if a player can hack it or not and that's giving them a go, so Insua should be given the slot at left back for a sustained run of games and keep Agger in the middle where he needs to be.
We are the Mods
We are the Mods
We are
We are
We are the Mods
Quadrophenia

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:15 am

I truly love the fact that the people who slate the gaffer for playing Keane and Gerrard "out of position" are now advocating doing so with Agger...

You couldn't make it up...

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby alxy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:12 am

Hyypia is playing against those opposition where Rafa feels we need the aerial presence. Sadly, Agger still does not have that in his arsenal. He just needs to build up his strength in the air. He's got the height already. But definitely Agger should stay. Last season, when we lost him to injury, we suffered. This year, we lost Skrtel, but then he came in and impact was much less. Having 3 good CB can only be a good thing. As opposed to 3 sh*te LB we have (OK Insua has potential..... but at the moment he's not there yet)
alxy

Postby bigmick » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:31 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:I truly love the fact that the people who slate the gaffer for playing Keane and Gerrard "out of position" are now advocating doing so with Agger...

You couldn't make it up...

I'm guessing by the "out of position" thing you're on about Gerrard either on the right hand side of midfield, or playing in behind a striker Lando.

I would personally play him on the right hand side of midfield all the time for us to be honest. I used to think it was his best position, but I was either wrong or he's improved as a central midfielder. you can be the judge of that   :;): Anyways, given we also have Alonso and Masherano, we need him more on the right and I'd play him there every week. I've never slagged the manager for playing him there, and I'm not sure too many have to be honest. Playing him left wing yes was obviously ridiculous, but that was some time ago and we don't use those selection methods anymore so lets not talk about it.

Keane is a striker and his "experimental" stint on the left wing was simply a "Rafaism" which you have to put up with from time to time.

Agger at left back is something of a gamble. It's not one I'd take myself unless our three left backs were made up of a kid who's only played once, a bloke who's never fit, and another fella who's useless. Even saying all of that, it's probably not one I'd take until Skyrtel is back fit as well.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:57 pm

I'd rather see Arbeloa at left back than Agger.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:07 pm

GYBS wrote:Two out of the back four playing out of position ? no thanks mate . carra and agger both stay in the centre for me and arbeloa stays right back - left back its between fabio,insua and dossena .

I thought we looked pretty good when Arbeloa played LB and Finnan was playing RB. I definitely think that Carra has to play CB, that is the one 'for sure'

Ironically I was mucking about with formations on PES last night, all surrounding the back four/line. I dumped Dossena, put Agger at LB and had Skrtel and Carra as CBs.

I then tried a 3-4-3 formation with Carra, Skrtel and Agger as CBs, but then had the problem of who to play in the hole behind the three strikers (Keane, Kuyt & Torres) I wanted two wide players who could tackle back so went with Gerrard and Lucas, flanking Alonso. Gerrard would have been perfect behind the strikers, but I want tackling back on the wings to cover the lack of FBs. I had one very strange game where I was under the cosh for 30 minutes, couldn't get out of my defensive third then managed to get it upfield to score twice against the run of play.

I wouldn't be against playing Agger at LB, would certainly be better than trying to keep three or four CBs happy with only two playing that regularly. I think he could be used in midfield as a better DM than Mascherano, he has the ability to win the ball (or he wouldn't be a CB), pass the ball better, scores more often, is a greater threat from corners and free-kicks and is comfortable carrying the ball forward. No reason he can't carry that into a LB role, not sure if his crossing is that good but he would be supporting Riera and we won't know if we don't try it.

Carra can play RB, LB or anywhere defensively. But he is probably our best CB, the odd own goal aside. He would be first on most people's teamsheets along with Gerrard, Reina and Torres. But in truth we shouldn't need to keep seeking LB options and find alternatives because of their failings. I had hoped Insua might get a bit of a run there, maybe Rafa not registering him for the CL knocked that on the head - a pity since Dossena did play well against PSV, but PSV weren't that good
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:21 pm

Agger - left back... what an idea..

Here is another one.. for his strength in the air up front why dont we go sign...........

ZEBADEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :p
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:06 pm

Agger a better DM than masher !?!?!? Trying formations out on a computer ?!?! You cant really compare that to real life can you ??
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:14 pm

Is this thread in danger of turning into joke of the year or what ?
Not aimed at you devaney...i personally agree Agger could do a decent job at left back and would be a major improvement on Dossena, with Aurellio unable to steer clear of injuries its something worth considering (once Skyrtl is back fit that is)

No i mean gybs saying Agger is or was better than Ferdinand and Carvalho, thats absolute madness imo.
Then statman owzat saying that he could be a better defensive midfielder than Mascherano, what next ?
Better keeper than Reina, better forward than Torres  ???

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:14 pm

Agger is a fantastic footballer , one of the best defenders in the premier elague and he's still so young . This season his form has taken a little dip compared to previous season . I think that season due to our left back problem , he could be an option there , he's got a great left foot which we all know he can shoot form , he can deffo pass and he'd be twice the player dossena is there . Aurelio is too injury prone to depend on for that position and insua still young , he and agger could rotate for that position . The first choice centre back pairing for me will still have to be skrtel and carragher but for now Sami is playing superb and should not be dropped .

Reina

Arbeloa/Carra          Carra          Skrtel/Hypia         Agger/Insua
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:21 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:Is this thread in danger of turning into joke of the year or what ?
Not aimed at you devaney...i personally agree Agger could do a decent job at left back and would be a major improvement on Dossena, with Aurellio unable to steer clear of injuries its something worth considering (once Skyrtl is back fit that is)

No i mean gybs saying Agger is or was better than Ferdinand and Carvalho, thats absolute madness imo.
Then statman owzat saying that he could be a better defensive midfielder than Mascherano, what next ?

Im sorry but whats wrong with thinking agger is better than rio and carvahlo when he is playing to his best ? thats exactly what i think .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:41 pm

GYBS wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:Is this thread in danger of turning into joke of the year or what ?

Im sorry but whats wrong with thinking agger is better than rio and carvahlo when he is playing to his best ? thats exactly what i think .

Its all about opinions mate, am not going to go all stu the red and call you clueless as Agger on his day is a top defender.
But IMHO, Carvalho and Ferdinand are about the best you will get, both far better in the air, both quicker, both physically stronger, in general better with most attributes i personally think.
I dont think i have ever seen either of them dominated by one player as much as Drogba did Agger the other season at Stamford bridge, there is no shame in that as Drogba at that time was very hard to play against. But what i mean is those two wouldnt of been given the same torrid time.
Put it one way if you swapped them for Agger i think you would see the difference in quality.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:30 pm

Agger got dominated once by drogba and the next game agger had him in his pocket and resulted in Drogba having to resort to diving . I guess i should just expand and say ability wise i think agger is better - overall - both rio and carvahlo got plenty of years on agger but on his pure ability i would put agger ahead of them - i rate him that highly .But totally understand why you dont agree mate and nice to see someone quite happy to accept opinions and debate without calling someone clueless etc - Merry Xmas
Last edited by GYBS on Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:02 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
GYBS wrote:

Its all about opinions mate, am not going to go all stu the red and call you clueless as Agger on his day is a top defender.
But IMHO, Carvalho and Ferdinand are about the best you will get, both far better in the air, both quicker, both physically stronger, in general better with most attributes i personally think.
I dont think i have ever seen either of them dominated by one player as much as Drogba did Agger the other season at Stamford bridge, there is no shame in that as Drogba at that time was very hard to play against. But what i mean is those two wouldnt of been given the same torrid time.
Put it one way if you swapped them for Agger i think you would see the difference in quality.

Yakubu has made Carvalho look quite the fool on a few occasions. I remember the Yak completely dominated him a couple of years back at the Riverside when Boro ran out 3-0 winners and Carvalho had a nightmare.

Saying that, if I was picking my dream centre back partnership from current Premiership players it would probably be Carvalho and Ferdinand.

I don’t think Agger’s form has been as bad as some have made out, he has got stronger and stronger recently and our defensive record has been excellent bar the Hull game, and he didn’t even play in that game.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:54 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:
GYBS wrote:

Yakubu has made Carvalho look quite the fool on a few occasions. I remember the Yak completely dominated him a couple of years back at the Riverside when Boro ran out 3-0 winners and Carvalho had a nightmare.

Saying that, if I was picking my dream centre back partnership from current Premiership players it would probably be Carvalho and Ferdinand.

I don’t think Agger’s form has been as bad as some have made out, he has got stronger and stronger recently and our defensive record has been excellent bar the Hull game, and he didn’t even play in that game.

Mate, some people are sheep on here - as soon as Rafa drops a player, suddenly
everyone on here is talking about their loss of form.
Finnan was the best example of this.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion