Agger is the most expensive danish player - & being the most expensive lfc defender

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby anfieldadorer » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:59 pm

Agger: My fee was crazy 
Written by Jim Boardman   

Saturday, 04 February 2006

Daniel Agger has told the Liverpool Echo that his transfer fee was “crazy”. Agger was signed for £5.8 million (€8.5 million) and in doing so became the most expensive player ever sold by a Danish club, and the most expensive defender bought by Liverpool.

Agger said: “It is crazy that I have been sold for 63 million Danish Kroner. It is a strange number and a bit surreal. But that is the way of the world of football today. It is crazy. I don’t think that it should be that way.”

It took Liverpool quite a bit of work to persuade Brondby to part with him even for that figure, but for Daniel it seems a ridiculous amount of money: “I don’t think that anybody is worth that much for doing a job, but I don’t think of myself as being the most expensive player ever sold from a Danish club. It’s just the way it is.”
The player made his debut at home on Wednesday, and is expected to be a regular starter for the team very soon. He’ll be much more well known by being a Liverpool player than he was at Brondby, but isn’t interested in receiving any star treatment: “To be a star does nothing for me. I only concentrate on football. All the star things are not who I am. I just want to be myself. I won’t change for anybody or anything.”

Agger’s life might have been very different if he’d gone down the other career path he’d considered – he was keen on becoming a fighter pilot, but says he’s chosen the better option: “I had a dream to fly an F16, but this is bigger than sitting in an F16.”

He’s finding it hard to express his feelings, but he’s obviously delighted with his new club: “It’s difficult to explain what I feel, but this place is fantastic. It’s such a big club. It’s what every boy dreams of, but not many Danish players have achieved it.”

Once Agger gets used to the pace and physical nature of the Premiership, he’s sure to be pushing Sami and Carra for their places in the team.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:07 pm

That's pretty amazing.

I am suprised a club our size hasn't paid more for a defender!!!!!!

Mustn't grumble! :D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mighty mo » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:18 pm

we have got a bargain,he will turn out to be a class act
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ste123lfc » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:21 pm

If he turns out to be as good as our last Danish player (molby), then we've got a bargin :nod
From Shankly to Brendan we follow our team, Rome to Istanbul we've all lived the dream. Our journey is long, our goal stays the same, to keep for our children the famous red name.
ste123lfc
LFC Super Member

Postby redmikey » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:01 pm

cool, calm, collected. the lad will do us proud.

In his first game against two of the biggest roughest centre fowards in the league he took 20 mins to get used to the pace then settled down a treat.

carra and agger will be our unit at the back for the next 5 years, rafa have bought a gem
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:08 pm

The thoughts of Agger strengthens my thoughts about the amount of money that is being moved on the english market. English market is very expensive, I bet Rafa'd preffer to buy english players (Fowler, Crouch) but that can't be the only option, there are other markets that provide good players for a reasonable money.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:26 pm

sbare can you clear up the work permit thing for me mate ?

can he play for lfc next year as a EU player or will we still have to wait?
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby redmikey » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:29 pm

gonzalez just in case you don't know who i'm going on about.

i think him and agger are players that can take the club fowards
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:40 pm

sbare can you clear up the work permit thing for me mate ?

can he play for lfc next year as a EU player or will we still have to wait?

Right now he's Chilean and with no Spanish passport.

For some reason beyond my comprehension the british DoE doesn't give him a work permit because he is from a country that is not between the seeventysomething best of the world.

SO he's coming to Spain, where there's an agreement with certain countries like Chile, that if they are here for 2 years and that would be the case of Mark after playing with RS, they get the Spanish passport. With the Spanish passport the DoE is incompetent, they can't go against the UE rules.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:47 pm

well if he thinks we were crazy to pay that amount of  money,because no player is worth that to do a job..............wonder if he would be happy on £500 a week,lets test his theory :D
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:47 pm

Nice one sabre.

we need the width and rafa likes the look of him. so between you and rafa he should do ok when the permit is sorted :D
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:57 pm

Im gald that we got him with bargain price.
LiverpoolMadman

Postby Robbie Fowler is Back » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:19 am

Was a bit worrying on thursday morning, then I read the reports saying Agger was "Shocked" by the pace of the prem.

That , to me, suggests he might not be able to cope, having only been a pro for 2 years!

time will tell.
Robbie Fowler is Back

Postby GOAT » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:34 am

i believe we have picked up a bargain with his signing, i can see him turning out to be a key player in our defence for years to come
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby A.B. » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:37 am

Robbie Fowler is Back wrote:Was a bit worrying on thursday morning, then I read the reports saying Agger was "Shocked" by the pace of the prem.

That , to me, suggests he might not be able to cope, having only been a pro for 2 years!

time will tell.

You're talking out of your backside. Most players are surprised by the pace of the Premiership, but for a lad that was surprised by the pace he did fine overall. He's a player that has the ability to pick up on things,learn and improve immensly.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion