Absolutely shocking! - A new stat you might be interested in

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Absolutely shocking! - A new stat you might be interested in

That is truly dreadful, Houllier should go even if we get 4th spot
76%
It's not that bad (if your team is Tottenham or Man City)
24%

Total votes : 33

Postby Owzat » Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:51 pm

I have just stumbled upon a truly awful stat - if you take the points gained from the last 50 league games under Houllier it would probably not be enough to win the league if all the points were included in one season

Last 50 league games

P50 W18 D15 L17 PTS 69

So even if we played an extra TWELVE games in a season we wouldn't win the league. We'd probably manage about third have played nearly a third extra games

So who now is in any doubt we are declining into a mid-table side under Houllier?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:22 pm

I tend to agree.

For a lot of people this was Houllier's last chance to show that his side can challange for the title (after the bitter disappointment of last season), and while he might keep his job if he manages 4th (and blames the injuries) in my mind at least he has been given an great opportunity at Liverpool and he hasn't delivered.

Some people might make a big issue of the injury situation and while it cannot be doubted that we were mauled this season with injuries Houllier's lavish spending on back up players back fired as big money buys like Heskey, Biscan, Riise, Smicer etc continually fail to deliver and a fully fit first 11 hasn't performed since 2002. 

People may moan about injuries but at the end of the day Biscan cost between £5.5-7million and thats a serious waste of resources in anyone's book......its almost at an Inter Milan level of money squandering.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:30 pm

I have to agree whole-heartedly. Liverpool have turned into a joke over the past eighteen months. Knowing us we'll probably rout portsmouth on sunday in the cup and then fail to beat them in the league game.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby BOODIDDY » Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:45 pm

Have to agree with all three views. I've always championed for the frenchmans head. Surely, the time is nigh. Off to the match tomorrow to voice my concern and i  dont care if they throw me out of the ground for what i'm going to say about that french frog-eyed tw#t.
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:56 pm

absolutely shocking, absolutely old man:D :D
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby bpm1976 » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:25 pm

My concern is that we are just as close to the relegation zone points wise, as we are to the top of the league! Ferking awful when you look at it like that.  If the constant rumours of Ranieri being pushed out of Chelsea become reality, I would very much like to see him take over from GH.
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

bpm1976

Postby 82-1074641017 » Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:56 pm

Houllier has promised to turn it around for the last 16 months and it is getting pathetic now.
But if we dont get Martin O'Neill the question is who can come in? We dont need a manager who can stabilise us we need a manager with a proven record for winning Championship Titles and European Cups.

Roberts
82-1074641017

Postby Stan Laurel » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:14 pm

If MON doesn't take over to Liverpool, I would like to have Sven to become new Liverpool boss, but it is impossible to have him cos he is too expensive!

I heard Capello might be join Chelsea to become new boss to replace Ranieri, if Ranieri get sacked, would you like to have him to become Liverpool boss?
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:43 pm

Ranieri has never won a league title. Sven bought one and isn't doing that good a job with the england team considering the talent he has available imo and Martin O'Neil will never in this life time become a top class manager.

The next manager of Liverpool HAS to be Phil Thompson and that won't be until the end of next season at the earliest. If its anyone else i'll be extremely annoyed and upset as it will mean all the great work Houllier has done will have been for nothing.

We need to build on our current situation which isn't any worse than the one before the treble season. We have ALOT of great players and alot of good players. We aren't that far away. 3 players maximum. Perspective is the key to success. Moores has it, Houllier has it... some of the fans have it, however the growing number of morons and glory seekers don't.
115-1073096938

Postby columbia » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:54 pm

i agrre stu, we have a good side. Most our players would be good editions to any other premiership side. Our maine problem has been that when people have been injured the players that have come in havent done as well as hoped. Id love to see a stat of how well weve done with our best 11 on the pitch.
columbia

Postby JBG » Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:17 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Ranieri has never won a league title. Sven bought one and isn't doing that good a job with the england team considering the talent he has available imo and Martin O'Neil will never in this life time become a top class manager.

The next manager of Liverpool HAS to be Phil Thompson and that won't be until the end of next season at the earliest. If its anyone else i'll be extremely annoyed and upset as it will mean all the great work Houllier has done will have been for nothing.

We need to build on our current situation which isn't any worse than the one before the treble season. We have ALOT of great players and alot of good players. We aren't that far away. 3 players maximum. Perspective is the key to success. Moores has it, Houllier has it... some of the fans have it, however the growing number of morons and glory seekers don't.

1. Erickson won leagues (and Cups) in Sweden, Portugal and Italy (both Sampdoria and Lazio).

2. Erickson works well with money, very true, but if it was a simple matter of "buying the title" then Inter Milan would win the title every year in Italy.

I hate when people use the old "Erickson bought the title for Lazio" arguement. Italy is a very tough league, all the top sides spend loads of cash every season. Lazio spent big in 1998, 1999 and 2000 etc, but so did Inter, Juventus, Milan and Roma.

Abrahomvich still has won nothing yet....

3. This "three players maximum" thing is getting tired Stu. People said that in 2002, and then last season. Houllier cannot be trusted to sign those "three players" and all the signings he has made since 2002 have had a net effect of the club declining. Even if we do sign three excellent players in the summer, there's no guarantee that problems will arise in other areas.

4. As for perspective Stu I have supported the club for more than 20 years and 12 of those years have been full of false dawns and shattered hopes. People who have been consistently dissapointed since 1991 and have become cynical are not morons.......

5. Whats wrong in wanting some "glory" for the club? If we didnt want glory we wouldn't be grumbling about Houllier!
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:48 pm

martin o neill would be the man i want to take over at anfield but i just can't see it happening. People say he hasn't proved anything in scotland but you have to remember what he achieved at leicester with little to no money. He's also great at getting the best out of his players where as kermit seems to turn good players into average ones.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:11 pm

What O'Neill achieved at Leicester was

2 worthless cup victories, even TRANMERE got to a final in the 90s ffs

4 top ten league finishes, hardly the stuff of dreams when Everton managed it last season and the likes of Charlton could this

Now if he'd taken Aberdeen to the scots title like Ferguson did then I might find his credentials a little more credible
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:38 pm

doesn't matter what you win in today's climate. they've still won more than the likes of newcastle who claim they're a big club when thjey've won f##k all for 40 years.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:12 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Ranieri has never won a league title. Sven bought one and isn't doing that good a job with the england team considering the talent he has available imo and Martin O'Neil will never in this life time become a top class manager.

It's boll##ks Sven is not doing a good job for England.

Martin O'Neil has done relatively well, everywere he has gone, but can not get any real credit until he finishes his extended hoilday in Scotland and takes up a real job and a real challange.

No way Phil Thompson can be the next manager of Liverpool, when he took temporay charge of us, thats when we started playing that super ultra defnsive s##t, Houllier plays a defensive style, but Thompspon took the p#ss.

It is hard to say that 3 players will put us on par with the top teams, beacuse they are in constant improvement and change, but I think Stu is on the right lines. We need to add three players to the squad this summer, players that are better than the ones we already have in the first team, and demote those players to squad players, and get rid of some of the total cr#p.

And I don't know why everone has had a go at Moores, and the criticism of Houllier has been over the top aswell.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion